2012 - Significant Progress in the community

News, happenings
gcmartin

2012 - Significant Progress in the community

#1 Post by gcmartin »

3 things have occurred in 2012 (the last 6 weeks) that is bringing out the ingenuity of this community.

They are
  1. 01Micko progression toward a full-featured replacement for 32bit Windows without the need to install anything (similar to what TaZoC has given this community with his 64bit LightHouse64). The significance of the works by these 2 is the inclusion of SAMBA so that a Puppy distro can be used on a LAN which may or may not have MACs and Windows as well as other Linux distros. These distro share its resources in exactly the same way(s) that MACs and Windows share resources, transparently.
  2. Iguleder's latest approach to building 64bit Linux OSes. This is very significant in providing a new guiding light for newer PC built since 2007 that provide 64bit operation.
  3. FUN500 trying to gather feedback from current Puppy users. This has tremendous benefit if, for no other reason, we look at this survey as a means to open our eyes to technology changes continuing to occur and how community members are responding to it.If you have not taken his survey, yet, take a moment.
From an inside looking out, this probably does not seem all that note-worthy because this is nothing new.
But, from the outside looking into the Puppyland, this is what is beginning to "jell" into definitive entities.
  • There is Puppy packaging that addresses old 32bit PC that are older than 2005
  • There is Puppy packaging that addresses 2006-to-now PCs operating in 32bit mode
  • There is a new Puppy packaging that addresses 64bit platforms
No matter how one looks at this, this provides coverage of the Desktops/Laptops/Touchscreens Intel/AMD PCs which blanket the earth, today.

This is a great jelling that is occurring, because now, its becoming very apparent which OS a user can select by simply picking the one which most closely matches the platform(s) they have. (The community now needs documentation which helps guide those new to Puppy its structure and offerings...classified)

Not only is this a defining moment in time, but it makes clear the community one addresses when looking for support or answers to any issues that arise. This does NOT erode in any way how things get addressed, but, it expands because much confusion is subsided giving way to more time in understanding the specific category based upon its intended usage. Thus, making it much easier for newcomers to start off with clear understanding while veterans have better understanding of intended missions of developments and the contributions they make in support.

The creative aspects of this community is poised to propel this Puppyland into great prominence this year. Its no longer a toy that we're just goofing around with, its taken on a new behavior as we race to embrace missing technology and technology changes. This is starting off at such a rapid pace, I almost think we are moving from propellers to jets to rockets within a single time-span.

If one can remember what it was like growing up. We expanded, grew taller, filled out, got smarter. This is maturity.

Yes, for those of us in Puppyland, its a great day in the neighborhood. The skies are becoming clearer and clearer as we soar thru the clouds.
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Browser wars have diminished as the "selection-understanding" and "selection-process" has been improved.

Desktop wars are diminishing as it, too, is affected by the selection understanding and the selection process.

The system generation process has been improved where you will use Woof for 32bit builds and Iguleder's Achievement for 64bit builds

The next major step has already seen a "shot over the bow" with Barry's bringing up "Android". Android is a Linux distro from Google that addresses touchscreen devices and the application selection process. It is akin to our use of Puppy desktop and the PPM. But, "heretonow", few understand this in the forum. Now that awareness of the relationship between what's in your hand and what's on a desk in front of you will begin to blur....Automation and "Automation intelligent" (new phrase) will begin to combine ease of use and personal assistance to a whole new level of understanding within this community.

2012 is going forward..with some major steps addressing traditional as well as today's handheld smartphone/xpad community.

EXCITING!!!

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

thanks for pointing these out. filled survey now ; -)

someone was having difficultly with samba - so these devs will def help :twisted:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

EXCITING!!!
Thanks gcmartin 8)
Android on smart-phones with touch screens has already emerged.
Tablet and phone prices will fall
and we will have Puppy running on an ARM tablet in 2012.

As Android becomes a Linux again (rather than a fork)
we will be able to support it with Underdog, Momanager
and the suite of Puppy code . . .

This is why icons should be on screen (so they can be touched)
and why programs need names like "camera"
Phones are minimalist, Puppy too.

An Android phone is a computer (I never use mine as a phone)
a torch, a spirit level, a compass, a translator, a voice recognition AI search engine, voice recorder, camera, video recorder, game player etc.

Android uses Java [no murmuring at the back now]
The semi mythical Raspberry Pi will be our first ARM device

I paid £30 (about $50) for my Android phone - treat yourself 8)
I started with relatives old phones - did not know about sim changing, charging etc. It took me a while to realize I still did not want a phone but the computer part is neat . . . Yep I do not have the latest and greatest but it really is a useful device

Woof woof
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

darkcity

#5 Post by darkcity »

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Yes, our desktop HAS TO change or we will become a relic in a very short period. I saw a recent desktop (US) that the vendor says is Linux. It looks nothing like what our community is accustomed to, but, it is a forward thinking approach to how an easy to use desktop should look. The is one of the very first products that I have been alluding to over the yrears. Talking development may be released to the public, too. (just as soon as they can grasp how to control our behavior with this tool)

This is a reference of the platform that is a first of its kind where the promotion of Linux is concealed by the desktop friendliness.

I have no idea which Window manager they adopted, but, it does what Android does...."Hide Linux in the interest of user friendliness". BTW, how many of us are aware that iOS (used in iPhones/iPads) is an off-shoot of Linux?

On the reference earlier about Microsoft Windows8 and Smartphones using their OS, it has already been "jailbreak"ed. So, like the Android smartphones, you will be able to adapt it to your specific likings, too.

Hope this helps

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Fluppy had a similar interface two years ago.
http://youtu.be/j4S7MKuNqc4
Touch screens still not mianstream. Hopefully the next year or two.
BTW, how many of us are aware that iOS (used in iPhones/iPads) is an off-shoot of Linux?
I thought it was using Unix/BSD base, using free code from Linux and closing it off in some sort of semi legal sticky toffee apple way?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

lwill

#8 Post by lwill »

Note: "Jailbraking" (legally) may end soon as well.
http://jailbreakingisnotacrime.org/
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=2164

TheAsterisk!

#9 Post by TheAsterisk! »

gcmartin wrote:Yes, our desktop HAS TO change or we will become a relic in a very short period. I saw a recent desktop (US) that the vendor says is Linux. It looks nothing like what our community is accustomed to, but, it is a forward thinking approach to how an easy to use desktop should look. The is one of the very first products that I have been alluding to over the yrears. Talking development may be released to the public, too. (just as soon as they can grasp how to control our behavior with this tool)

This is a reference of the platform that is a first of its kind where the promotion of Linux is concealed by the desktop friendliness.
Well, user-friendliness depends a great deal upon the use-case intended for the interface. That setup would work well enough for a touchscreen manned by the unwashed masses- no offense, masses- or at a public kiosk or maybe for a media center, but it would drive me (a some-time power user, so to speak) absolutely bonkers.

If it were an option, and you could revert back to the 'standard' interface- taskbar, desktop, categorized menu, keyboard-centric with just a hint of mouse- then fine. Just don't get so enamored with the idea that it turns into Unity versus the old hands, if you know what I mean.
BTW, how many of us are aware that iOS (used in iPhones/iPads) is an off-shoot of Linux?
Well, it's not, actually. MacOS X is an offshoot of an offshoot of BSD, and iOS is an offshoot of MacOS X, so iOS is 3 steps or so removed from an old unix, but not specifically Linux.

Linux may be the current emperor, but remember that it is (historically) still just a part of a unix(-type) dynasty.