ACX111 wifi card driver instructions seem complicated

Booting, installing, newbie
Lfys

ACX111 wifi card driver instructions seem complicated

#1 Post by Lfys »

I'd like to install the drivers for my ACX111 wifi card so I downloaded the appropriate package (found it via http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ght=acx111).
So far I have put the files in the right location but now I am stuck because I do not understand what to do next. Can someone clarify things for me a little bit. The instructions are the following:

## uncompress the driver package from the uppermost directory cd / tar -zxvf acx100-0.2.0pre8-57.tar.gz
## map the new modules depmod
## load the driver modprobe acx_pci # or acx_usb
## if no error messages, this should create a network interface, wlan0
## can check this by running ifconfig -a
## now set up the wireless network iwconfig wlan0 essid MY_ESSID key 1234567890 mode Managed
## for automatic IP dhcpcd -t 20 -h puppypc -d wlan0
## or for static IP
## modify /etc/resolv.conf to include your nameservers #ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.xx broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0 #route add default gw 192.168.0.1 wlan0 # or whatever your router's IP is MAKING IT PERMANENT If this driver works with your hardware, you will want to have it available every time you boot up. Save the driver tarball to your /root directory, which is persistent if you use a pupfile. Add the uncompress and depmod commands to /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local cd / tar -zxvf /root/acx100-0.2.0pre8-57.tar.gz depmod This will install the driver every time you boot up, ready to load and configure as explained above. A script for this purpose, "acx100-connect" is available. Just modify the script to include your wireless settings.

#2 Post by Guest »

Have you tried sending a private message (PM) to the author of this post.

trapster

#3 Post by trapster »

It took me about 3 weeks to get my wireless card working. Those instructions seem very similar to what I did to get mine working.

This is what I did to connect every time I boot, if you follow your directions, it's pretty close.

This is in my /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local -
(substitute ath_pci with your module)
-------------------------------------------------
#this file called from rc.local0
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...

cd /
tar -zxvf /root/madwifi.tar.gz
depmod
modprobe ath_pci
iwconfig ath0 mode managed
sleep 5
rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-ath0.*
dhcpcd -t 20 -h puppypc ath0
--------------------------------------------

Whether this is right or wrong, I don't know but it does connect me to the internet!
Hope this helps.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Lfys

#4 Post by Lfys »

Since I am typing this from within my PuppyPC ...
Thanks!