Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Mp3 files downloaded in Firefox only play once in Aqualung
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
stderr

PostPosted: Tue 04 May 2010, 17:29    Post subject:  Mp3 files downloaded in Firefox only play once in Aqualung  

I download an mp3 file in Firefox and it plays in aqualaung. I then try to play it again and it doesn't work. There's clearly something I'm not understanding. Does anyone know what that might be? THanks.
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 05 May 2010, 02:49    Post subject:  

How did you download it? Did you choose to Open it directly from the net, or save it? The first choice could possibly have deleted it after you closed Aqualung.

If you know what the filename is, you can try using pfind to locate it on your system.

stderr

PostPosted: Wed 05 May 2010, 14:50    Post subject:  

Makoto wrote:
How did you download it?

It's from gmail.

Quote:
Did you choose to Open it directly from the net, or save it?

It's on a 56K connection, so it was saved as far as I understand the meaning of the term.

Quote:
The first choice could possibly have deleted it after you closed Aqualung.

The name is in Aqualung but it just makes a buzz sound and stops when clicked on.

Quote:
If you know what the filename is, you can try using pfind to locate it on your system.

There are no other mp3 files that I know of on his system and I'm not running Puppy here right now, so testing is difficult. When I try to copy files on the desktop, that doesn't seem to work right. I end up with links that go away when the flash drive, say, is removed. So something is weird.

Thanks.
linuxsansdisquedur

PostPosted: Wed 05 May 2010, 15:11    Post subject:  

save it on your hard disk if it is saved in tmp it could be deleted when you close firefox/puppy Cool
Makoto

PostPosted: Wed 05 May 2010, 16:53    Post subject:  

stderr wrote:
It's from gmail.
It's on a 56K connection, so it was saved as far as I understand the meaning of the term.

In Firefox, when you come across a link to a file you want to save, right-click on it and select "Save Link As...". It'll ask you where you want to store the file and what to name it. Pick a location other than the desktop or the tmp directory.

Choosing an "Open Link" option from the right-click menu normally just downloads the file and passes it to the system's default viewer/player (in this case, MP3 files will open in Aqualung, just as though you'd opened them directly from a hard drive/directory.) - but it won't necessarily save the file.
The Firefox setup is probably set to Open the file if you left-click on it. It's usually better to right-click and use the Save Link option, instead, in my opinion.

Quote:
The name is in Aqualung but it just makes a buzz sound and stops when clicked on.

That just means Aqualung has saved a pointer to the file in its library, but can no longer find the file.

Quote:
There are no other mp3 files that I know of on his system and I'm not running Puppy here right now, so testing is difficult. When I try to copy files on the desktop, that doesn't seem to work right. I end up with links that go away when the flash drive, say, is removed. So something is weird.

You can't save files directly to the desktop, just links to files. Copy the files to a different directory (like my-documents, for example. But not tmp.)

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: