Puppy Linux hardware and newbie woes

Booting, installing, newbie
nooby

Puppy Linux hardware and newbie woes

#1 Post by nooby »

Sorry me whining again.

I love to try out new software on my computers.

but due to the commercial protection they are at times not compatible with linux and not even with Puppy.

I managed to get Quirky 21 working more by accident than by following directions.

Now when I try to behave as someone not having it already then I fail to replicate the success. Now it fails each time.

Okay so I try Lupu114 instead. That one boots right into the desktop so that is cool but instead I lose connection to internet maybe each 30 minutes and need to run SNS connect again and again the whole day. Very annoying for someone with a short fuse that blow too easily.

I guess what I need is some incredibly detail step by step set up that is very at it so it don't fail to make it in the end. :)

But that would go against the ADHD trait that fail to be that patient.

I felt so spoiled and lazy not testing the new Puppies on my 2005 bought AOpen mz915 computer and when I did the boot of Quirky made it go into a loop that only hard boot could release it from.

I admire every Linux geek that always buy the compatible hjardware. You either are very rich or know very much what to not buy.

Three computers in a row failed for me. I bought a HP/Compaq for 1000USD 2003 then an Aopen for some 500USD 2005 and then 2008/2009 my newest HP/Compaq for some 375USD and then 2010 my Acer Notebook D250.

All the first three failed with many Linux.

Yes I know it can be blamed entirely on me. I am not well enough structured in my head. I am a mess. Linux is for the well organized personalities.

I vaguely remember that we had a thread about how to keep connection using SNS and I trust I made a book mark for that thread too and I am sure of that I wrote it down in a book here on my desk.

But I fail to find it and have no clue on what search word that would find it either.

And think of it. This is me who have been active 24/7 from Christmas 2009 tryign to get Puppy going on my gear.

A total newbie with same hardware as me would not even know of SNS or a thread about keeping IP connection.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

RetroTechGuy

Re: Puppy Linux hardware and newbie woes

#2 Post by RetroTechGuy »

nooby wrote: I admire every Linux geek that always buy the compatible hjardware. You either are very rich or know very much what to not buy.
Historically, most Linux guys didn't buy hardware to run Linux. Instead they kludged Linux to run on their hardware.

Sure, when buying hardware, I look for Linux compatibility. But generally, I run a pile of old junkers.
Yes I know it can be blamed entirely on me. I am not well enough structured in my head. I am a mess. Linux is for the well organized personalities.
<Snicker>... "well organized"...

I was always astounded that Linux code worked at all, much less as well as it does. In the old days, they weren't organized, but relied on "make" to clean up, and rebuild their kludged pile of code, hoping it would compile to a functional program... Very very sloppy...

Programmers now are more organized and careful than in the old days, and this is a good thing. Perhaps this is why Linux has moved out of the "everything is Alpha or Beta level code", to systems that work nicely like Puppy.

RetroTechGuy

Re: Puppy Linux hardware and newbie woes

#3 Post by RetroTechGuy »

nooby wrote:I managed to get Quirky 21 working more by accident than by following directions.
I would consider most anything not in the main branch as "Alpha" or "Beta" test levels. Not generally recommended for beginners.
But that would go against the ADHD trait that fail to be that patient.
Rationalization, excuses... If true, then you need to work harder and concentrate harder. Make an effort to be more organized.

This also means getting a notebook and recording what you did to make a machine work or not work. Treat is like a science, and record your results.
Three computers in a row failed for me. I bought a HP/Compaq for 1000USD 2003 then an Aopen for some 500USD 2005 and then 2008/2009 my newest HP/Compaq for some 375USD and then 2010 my Acer Notebook D250.

All the first three failed with many Linux.
Did you try one of the more common live boot, such as Knoppix? Not the latest/greatest, say Knoppix 5.1.1? 4.x?

Puppy (mainstream versions) has functioned on every machine I have tried -- not that everything is "perfect", but it works (e.g. my newer laptop doesn't have sound -- but I don't really care, and haven't looked at fixing it yet -- it works for email, web browsing, etc).

And I have run Puppy on 4 different desktop machines in my possession.

I find it hard to believe that the main version fails to work that often.
I vaguely remember that we had a thread about how to keep connection using SNS and I trust I made a book mark for that

thread too and I am sure of that I wrote it down in a book here on my desk.

But I fail to find it and have no clue on what search word that would find it either.
Save the file as an html document and give it a meaningful name -- now you have a document which you can open and read (and useful keywords for future searches).

WB7ODYFred

SNS search results

#4 Post by WB7ODYFred »

Quirky 21 is beta leading edge. It will have minor problems that you can write up via the Forum and help barry fix by identifying in your write up what you have come across with.

search from this html link putting a couple words like SNS http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

Barry K's Simple Network Setup
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SimpleNetworkSetup

I see that you, NOOBY, already posted to this forum later down the log.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=415060

Sounds like you are doing well in using Quirky, NOOBY. If too bleeding edge then go with www.dpup.org DPUP or PUP 4.3.1

Respectfully,

Fred Finster