http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY3kmSX9rdM

With the Gnome media player I had to change the sound from OSS
to ALSA to get the ASF files I created to play with sound
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tom4jean

#17 Post by tom4jean »

Chat / ATTYM is not working.
First run it gives me the dialog to make a user name and then once I click to to start, it does not open.

Code: Select all

#attym
attym: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-xlb.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
#
AKA: tom4jesus; Running Quirky 1.0 on Compaq cq10 netbook
Search the Puppy Forums to find that elusive PET;
[url]http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxSearchEngine[/url]

aarf

#18 Post by aarf »

quirky top of the list at distowatch

:shock: no, not that list :twisted: (just yet :o )

tlchost

#19 Post by tlchost »

tom4jean wrote:Chat / ATTYM is not working.
First run it gives me the dialog to make a user name and then once I click to to start, it does not open.
Same here with bootable USB drive.

Thom

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

Too early :)

I guess Macpup will compete within some few days. They have been at it for a while now and kept interest. Wonder if Q will be asble to stay on top.

For me Q works better than Lupu.

Q does Omelette in 5 seconds and Lupu takes twice that time and looks like Dpup and Upup did with wrong nvidia driver.

Q1 now seems to be able to chose the right NVidia driver?

What I like about Lupu is that one can chose among all the browser and other pets very easily even as a noob.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sinc

#21 Post by sinc »

quirky has worked very well for me also. X is working perfectly. 1 thing i have to continually do is reconnect to my wireless network though. if i walk away from my computer, when I return I have to run the network wizard again. I am not sure the minimum amount of time before I get disconnected but I would guess it has something to do with the power management in quirky (just a guess). I did not have this issue in 431. Thank you for your work.

And as an aside, I really like the fbpanel. Very nice. :wink:

Sage

#22 Post by Sage »

Seems to do 99.99^.% of what I need, including shutting down correctly.
Why not 100%? It's that damn SM every time that falls short - it is not Firefox. I am not alone in finding this Achilles' Heel yet again, vide supra.

musher0

#23 Post by musher0 »

Hehe... see pic. :o

Found today May 5, 2010 at Distrowatch. Proof attached!

I myself never thought of BK as a "crator", but perhaps the editor at Distrowatch had a vision... I knew Barry cre-a-ted Linux distros; I didn't know he also crated them! :lol:

I have the greatest respect for people who work in the forwarding and boxing industries, BTW.

The word "crator" does not exist in the English dictionary. However, apparently there used to be a picture of a Christ "Panto-crator" [from an ancient Greek word meaning all-powerful] in the Christian Orthodox Church, in Hagia Sophia, in Constantinople (now Istambul), I think. Nothing to do with boxes or shipping, though.

Back to our Distrowatch editor:

Maybe the editor at Distrowatch is working on a new definition of distros as "crates" -- but very few distros come in actual boxes nowadays!

Maybe he's thinking of the impact Quirky will have on the Linux community -- such as a crater ! Yay!

Enjoy the pun! :lol:
Attachments
Quirky_crated_by_BK.png
(56.85 KiB) Downloaded 1559 times
Last edited by musher0 on Wed 05 May 2010, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

nooby

#24 Post by nooby »

Sage, I agree about Firefox. Most users prefer that one.
sinc wrote:quirky has worked very well for me also. X is working perfectly. 1 thing i have to continually do is reconnect to my wireless network though. if i walk away from my computer, when I return I have to run the network wizard again. I am not sure the minimum amount of time before I get disconnected but I would guess it has something to do with the power management in quirky (just a guess). I did not have this issue in 431. Thank you for your work.

And as an aside, I really like the fbpanel. Very nice. :wink:
I had same problem as you had in Puppy 431 and then somebody told me a bout SNS. Simple Network Setup.

That one in Q1 seems to hold the line while same in Lupu115 doesn't.

So one need to check up on something which was explained in a thread way back some weeks ago. A simple CLI Console thing and it added that feature. IIRC
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sage

#25 Post by Sage »

Istambul
Never been there. Is it on Jupiter?

aarf

#26 Post by aarf »

oh, dont you know!? a crator is someone who packs an .iso :D so of course quirky was crated by BK.

aarf

#27 Post by aarf »

Sage wrote:
Istambul
Never been there. Is it on Jupiter?
you probably know it as istanbul but before the world wars it was know as istambul but during one of the wars it lost an arch so it is then became known as istanbul.
it is really amazing what info you can find in the aarfpedia.

i00i

Internet radios

#28 Post by i00i »

Maybe because I am a newbie but I can’t get internet radios to work.... no sound. All the other multimedia e.g. pupRadio works perfectly. I have used Quirky 008 where radios worked out of the box. I am used to listen these radios:
http://www.nrj.fi/etusivu

musher0

#29 Post by musher0 »

@Sage:

Yep, you're right, it's written Istanbul (beautiful city, BTW). Sorry about that. The corrector stands corrected!

As to aarf's explanation, I'm not sure about losing an "arch" (:-) since I'm using Puppy/Quirky -- or sometimes some other distro --, but I'm lucky that I didn't have any "crates" sent there!

Cheers!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

tom4jean

#30 Post by tom4jean »

tom4jean wrote:Chat / ATTYM is not working.

#attym
attym: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-xlb.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory
#
Update;

I installed the libxcb-1.0 pet from this forum thread and it fixed it;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=30268

upnorth

quirky 1.0 occasional error message on bootup

#31 Post by upnorth »

• Setting up the layered file system...EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 103455
occassionally see this just after: "Loading the 'quirky-100.sfs' main file..." on vt

Took upgrade route from quirky013, which had been upgraded since 006 so it may be pushing the limits. But, no problems so far other than the above message.

NOTE:
I dropped in jwm492 to test: This version solves the problem of a few rare apps that run but do not appear on screen. eg. dillo2.2, maybe yudit.

-----------------
The libxcb-1.0 pet mentioned on previous page will install to /usr/lib, thus they will have precedence over the libxcb*'s already in /usr/X11R7/lib. That works, but it may be overkill. This pet will provide only the missing lib for a temporary fix. It installs to /usr/X11R7/lib:
(in either case, they should be uninstalled when the standard version is available)
Attachments
libxcb-xlib0_lenny.pet
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 685 times

Minomushi

Bug fix: Quirky 1.0

#32 Post by Minomushi »

[CPU Frequency Scaling Tool] doesn't start.

JWM|Utility|CPU Frequency Scaling Tool
It is unresponsive even if it clicks.
menu code:
/usr/local/cpu-freq/cpu_freq
|
/usr/local/cpu-freq/cpu_freq -start

# cd /usr/share/applications
# ls cpu_freq*
cpu_freq.desktop
# geany cpu_freq.desktop
---- Start ----------------------------------
Exec=/usr/local/cpu-freq/cpu_freq -start
---- End ------------------------------------

ajbibb

Feedback

#33 Post by ajbibb »

Processor: Intel Celron (Pentium III/ Pentium III Xeon/ Celron)
Memory: 383 M
Audio Adapter: ICH - Intel 82801BA-ICH2

Have checked and used:
Network wizard
Seamonkey
PMusic
Gnome Media player
pupRadio
Pnethood

Haven't checked printing as I don't have a printer hooked up to this computer.

So far everything seems to work great. Seamonkey did crash opening one page on one web site, but it used to do the same thing in 4.3.1. It is something about that particular site and I am used to it.

No hard numbers here, but my feeling is that Quirky is more nimble and responsive than 4.3.1. All in all a great job.

tom4jean

Re: quirky 1.0 occasional error message on bootup

#34 Post by tom4jean »

-----------------
The libxcb-1.0 pet mentioned on previous page will install to /usr/lib, thus they will have precedence over the libxcb*'s already in /usr/X11R7/lib. That works, but it may be overkill. This pet will provide only the missing lib for a temporary fix. It installs to /usr/X11R7/lib:
(in either case, they should be uninstalled when the standard version is available)
Use the pet from upnorth and NOT the one I mentioned earlier.
I discovered that although the one I recommended did let chat start it broke Geany.
So I uninstalled it and installed this one from upnorth and now both chat and Geany work.

Sorry about that.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#35 Post by Flash »

Upgrading from Quirky 021 on a multisession DVD-RW to Quirky 100 on a multisession DVD-RW.

I Burned the iso with Pburn in Quirky 021 instead of Burniso2cd, to see how well multisession DVDs burned with Pburn work, then rebooted with the newly burned Quirky 100 DVD in the drive, choosing to "save to the CD." This has always worked before as a way to upgrade a multisession Puppy to a new version. It worked this time too, but with a hitch. The screen gave the usual message that it was saving the session to the first track of the new DVD, and the drive light indicated activity. Usually that would be the end of it but after the drive light went out the screen said it was time for a new disk or something. Figuring that everything I needed from Quirky 021 had been correctly saved to the newly burned Quirky 100 DVD, I held the start button in to force the computer to turn off, then rebooted. Everything was as it should be. All my settings and installed programs from Quirky 021 had been transferred to the new Quirky 100 multisession DVD-RW.

I'll burn the next Quirky iso with Burniso2cd, to see if the same thing happens.