Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 03 Sep 2014, 01:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Quirky 1.0 feedback
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 14 [200 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
aarf

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 04:27    Post subject:  

aarf wrote:
quirky 100 without a pupsave connects consistently to wifi with simple network setup but fails to connect consistently when pupsave is present when using both sns and classic.

still failing. this is from the log in the sns. when it advises of failure to connect, today is may 12 and this is todays attempt
Quote:
LAST 10 LINES of /var/log/messages:
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/soundcore.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/core/snd.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: WARNING: Could not open 'kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-codec.ko': No such file or directory
May 7 17:14:28 puppypc daemon.notice modprobe: FATAL: Could not open 'kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko': No such file or directory
May 8 16:14:28 puppypc user.info kernel: retrovol[26627]: segfault at 13 ip b76ac2e2 sp bfad13b8 error 4 in libasound.so.2.0.0[b7680000+9b000]
May 8 00:15:57 puppypc daemon.notice acpid: exiting
May 8 00:15:58 puppypc daemon.err dhcpcd: dhcpcd not running

Last edited by aarf on Wed 12 May 2010, 04:40; edited 1 time in total
broomdodger

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 04:34    Post subject: xfontsel does not launch  

quirky100 frugal
xfontsel does not launch when clicked from the menu or from console
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 04:43    Post subject:  

BarryK wrote:
All of these upgrades fix bugs in previous version...

I have upgraded 'xf86-video-ati' to version 6.13.0.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/quirky/pet_packages-quirky/xf86-video-ati-6.13.0-q1.pet

Would you guys running Quirky 1.0 and who have the 'geode', 'ati' or 'radeon' video hardware, mind testing these new PETs?
Installed the pet on my Radeon Mobility 7500 machine.
Did run xorgwizard and verified if the radeon driver was selected and loaded. It was ok.

Didn't had problems before, so difficult to say if there is improvement.

But in the whole operation I lost 8MB of my save file. I am puzzled.

Use peppyy's puppysearch
aarf

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 04:47    Post subject:  

pfx=ram, seamonkey, can't get this video to play http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?N=video&T=Cameron+Speaks+After+Becoming+U.K.+Prime+Minister+&clipSRC=mms://media2.bloomberg.com/cache/vnojqpaMOHpk.asf
and none of the channels on that page
Quote:
Select Channel
Asia Pacific Europe US
produce anything either. may be my connection which can download at speed.
Code:
 wget http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?N=video&T=Cameron+Speaks+After+Becoming+U.K.+Prime+Minister+&clipSRC=mms://media2.bloomberg.com/cache/vnojqpaMOHpk.asf
[1] 30661
[2] 30662
# --2010-05-12 15:48:30--  http://www.bloomberg.com/avp/avp.htm?N=video
Resolving www.bloomberg.com (www.bloomberg.com)... 203.69.113.34
Connecting to www.bloomberg.com (www.bloomberg.com)|203.69.113.34|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 9784 (9.6K) [text/html]
Saving to: `avp.htm?N=video'

100%[======================================>] 9,784       22.1K/s   in 0.4s   

2010-05-12 15:48:32 (22.1 KB/s) - `avp.htm?N=video' saved [9784/9784]
but no video to be seen like that either.
Code:
# wget mms://media2.bloomberg.com/cache/vnojqpaMOHpk.asf
mms://media2.bloomberg.com/cache/vnojqpaMOHpk.asf: Unsupported scheme `mms'.
#

gnomeplayer and pupTV both give video but no sound with
mms://media2.bloomberg.com/cache/vnojqpaMOHpk.asf
so puppy has a built-in revolutionary new method for listening to politiians. Wink puppy pioneering a new world Exclamation note the pregnant wife in the background suitably gagged and bound..

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>

Last edited by aarf on Wed 12 May 2010, 06:47; edited 1 time in total
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 06:27    Post subject: quirky 100 tmp after boot strange  

Quirky 100
I expected the /tmp to be cleared at shutdown and rebuild at next boot.
But when I look in it I see files which have a date 21 hours earlier.
How is this possible?
(fortunately the bootxxx.log files have the date/hour of the boot time, indicated by the red line.
tmp-after-boot-quirky100.png
 Description   Red line indicates time of boot.
 Filesize   168.08 KB
 Viewed   1281 Time(s)

tmp-after-boot-quirky100.png

Use peppyy's puppysearch
aarf

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 07:57    Post subject:  

more on sns failing with pupsave
Code:

# defaultconnect   
EXIT="Interface_wlan0"
/usr/sbin/sns: line 653: 10755 Terminated              xmessage -center -bg orange -buttons "" "Please wait, scanning for wireless networks..."

(nicoedit:11334): GtkSourceView-CRITICAL **: gtk_source_language_manager_get_language: assertion `id != NULL' failed
EXIT="abort"
# /usr/sbin/sns
EXIT="Interface_wlan0"
/usr/sbin/sns: line 653: 13829 Terminated              xmessage -center -bg orange -buttons "" "Please wait, scanning for wireless networks..."
EXIT="Interface_wlan0"
/usr/sbin/sns: line 653: 15065 Terminated              xmessage -center -bg orange -buttons "" "Please wait, scanning for wireless networks..."
#

ASUS EeePC Flare series 1025C 4x Intel Atom N2800 @ 1.86GHz RAM 2063MB 800x600p ATA 320G
_-¤-_

<º))))><.¸¸.•´¯`•.#.•´¯`•.¸¸. ><((((º>
panzerpuppy

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 08:34    Post subject:  

Now I know what's the problem with the proprietary ATI driver (Catalyst / fglrx 10.4) and Quirky.

The kernel in Quirky 1.0 is a bit new (k2.6.33) and Catalyst 10.4 only supports kernels up to 2.6.32.

A patch is needed to make it work with the newer kernels. There are patches available for Ubuntu, Debian, Arch Linux and Kanotix which make the driver work with k2.6.33 and 2.6.34.

But how to patch the driver to work in Puppy/Quirky?

Can someone make a patched .PET package for Quirky?

broomdodger

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 11:26    Post subject: xfontsel does not launch  

xfontsel does not launch

quirky100 frugal

Missing one link and one file:
/usr/bin/xfontsel
/usr/X11R7/bin/xfontsel

copied these from puppy 431 and it works.
jpeps

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 11:31    Post subject:  

synth wrote:
The time has finally come to test the latest Opera snapshot and think about the possible inclusion of Opera in a future Quirky release.

This build is unbelievably fast and stable. If you though Opera 10.10 was fast, you'll be blown away by the speed of 10.54. The Flash and font issues are fixed, so the latest build can finally be used for normal browsing.

Here's a fat-free package of the latest snapshot I made for Quirky:

Opera 10.54 fat-free package for Quirky

NOTE: Just make sure you disable smooth scrolling (a major CPU hog) in the Opera preferences. It's turned ON by default.

Enjoy and share your experience Smile

synth

Uses less resources than Firefox, although more than SeaMonkey. Is there a way to move the window?
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 11:32    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:
Seamonkey 1.1.18??? If Quirky is an experimental version, why are we working with an old version of Seamonkey? So then, is Quirky gonna be like Debian Lenny (stable)? Wouldn't it be better, more progressive to work on integrating Seamonkey 2.x?

You need to read me blog! There were reasons for staying with 1.1.18, but the next Quirky will have 2.0.4, as a couple of the problems with the 2.x series have been solved.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 12:05    Post subject: Re: Dim screen
Subject description: me or Quiky?

retry3 wrote:
Great work as usual, Barry.

The screen is so dim I can barely make out the icons. Background is dark blue.

Things are fine in 4.3.1 (full install)

Tried 2GTK color chooser and Nathan's Wallpaper trying for lightest,brightest screen display possible and made a slight improvement by using the citrus theme, but still barely usable.

Searched thread, no one else seems to have the problem.

Probably me, notQ1, so would appreciate any direction.

Pavilion zv5120us notebook 512Gb Radeon

Regards, retr3

I have posted an upgraded ati/radeon driver, could you test that?

oui

Location: near Woof (Germany) :-) Acer Laptop emachines 2 GB RAM AMD64. franco-/germanophone, +/- anglophone

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 17:22    Post subject:  

Hi I am using the initial radeon driver. No problem on my laptop.
synth

PostPosted: Wed 12 May 2010, 17:50    Post subject:  

A much better Opera package based on today's snapshot is now available for download from the link below.

This build fixes a lot of stuff and further improves the usability of Opera for Linux.

I removed even more (unnecessary) stuff this time, making this the lightest .PET package of Opera ever. This is the one to test.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hlxknp

Make sure you disable smart scrolling in the Opera preferences and limit the memory cache to 20 MB, so it uses the least amount of resources.

Also decrease the Max Window History Lines from 50 to 8 in opera:config to use even less memory.

Enjoy! Woof-Woof!

jpeps wrote:
Uses less resources than Firefox, although more than SeaMonkey. Is there a way to move the window?

Try the latest build from this post and follow the instructions posted here to minimize the resource munch.
jpeps

PostPosted: Thu 13 May 2010, 00:42    Post subject:  

synth wrote:
A much better Opera package based on today's snapshot is now available for download from the link below.

This build fixes a lot of stuff and further improves the usability of Opera for Linux.

Try the latest build from this post and follow the instructions posted here to minimize the resource munch.

That solved the window issue. There's a problem with video's stalling after about a minute, which doesn't happen with firefox or seamonkey. Here's the video I used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KJdDnQ1ss0&playnext_from=TL&videos=HJQZ7r5IqlA&feature=featured

Here's resources on my Dell Latitude after the stall:
Code:

Mem: 545032K used, 489592K free, 0K shrd, 32672K buff, 375916K cached
CPU:   7% usr   5% sys   0% nic  86% idle   0% io   0% irq   0% sirq

Edit: maybe needs to be moved to an opera thread??
TrailerTrash

PostPosted: Thu 13 May 2010, 01:12    Post subject:  

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your efforts on behalf of we who do not know how to hack 3G wireless nets.

I just gave a test drive to Quirky 1.00 and thought it was near perfect. Only one glitch. Using two different computers when I probe for cell modem it returns "USB0" which is correct but on the next step the program freezes up requiring reboot. Here are some processor ID's for you.

1. AMD Phenom Quad
2. Pentium M

I live in an area where there is no CATV and thus no easy or inexpensive broadband available. For 7 years I've been on dialup. ISDN is also out of the question. I am luckier than some out here as I live on top of a mountain and do have a cell signal from a repeater some miles away on another mountain top. Two months ago I started Verison cell modem service. They use the Novatel USB760 wireless modem. So far I have not been able to get online with any linux distro. Puppy seems to be the best there is with this new release. The prospects for broadband access seem closer than ever.

I will be patient and hopefully someone else who knows how to identify a bug will do so and it can be fixed. That is, if it is a bug. when I finally get online with Puppy I can retire my XP to "offline games only".

No answer to this is necessary. I know you are busy.

I will carry the Quirky DVD with me and try it on other computers as chance allows.

JPS

ps The avatar picture is not me. I ain't quite that ugly.
Page 11 of 14 [200 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: