Quirky 1.0 feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
upnorth

quirky 1.0 occasional error message on bootup

#31 Post by upnorth »

• Setting up the layered file system...EXT2-fs (loop1): error: ext2_free_blocks: bit already cleared for block 103455
occassionally see this just after: "Loading the 'quirky-100.sfs' main file..." on vt

Took upgrade route from quirky013, which had been upgraded since 006 so it may be pushing the limits. But, no problems so far other than the above message.

NOTE:
I dropped in jwm492 to test: This version solves the problem of a few rare apps that run but do not appear on screen. eg. dillo2.2, maybe yudit.

-----------------
The libxcb-1.0 pet mentioned on previous page will install to /usr/lib, thus they will have precedence over the libxcb*'s already in /usr/X11R7/lib. That works, but it may be overkill. This pet will provide only the missing lib for a temporary fix. It installs to /usr/X11R7/lib:
(in either case, they should be uninstalled when the standard version is available)
Attachments
libxcb-xlib0_lenny.pet
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 685 times

Minomushi

Bug fix: Quirky 1.0

#32 Post by Minomushi »

[CPU Frequency Scaling Tool] doesn't start.

JWM|Utility|CPU Frequency Scaling Tool
It is unresponsive even if it clicks.
menu code:
/usr/local/cpu-freq/cpu_freq
|
/usr/local/cpu-freq/cpu_freq -start

Code: Select all

# cd /usr/share/applications
# ls cpu_freq*
cpu_freq.desktop
# geany cpu_freq.desktop
---- Start ----------------------------------
Exec=/usr/local/cpu-freq/cpu_freq -start
---- End ------------------------------------

ajbibb

Feedback

#33 Post by ajbibb »

Processor: Intel Celron (Pentium III/ Pentium III Xeon/ Celron)
Memory: 383 M
Audio Adapter: ICH - Intel 82801BA-ICH2

Have checked and used:
Network wizard
Seamonkey
PMusic
Gnome Media player
pupRadio
Pnethood

Haven't checked printing as I don't have a printer hooked up to this computer.

So far everything seems to work great. Seamonkey did crash opening one page on one web site, but it used to do the same thing in 4.3.1. It is something about that particular site and I am used to it.

No hard numbers here, but my feeling is that Quirky is more nimble and responsive than 4.3.1. All in all a great job.

tom4jean

Re: quirky 1.0 occasional error message on bootup

#34 Post by tom4jean »

-----------------
The libxcb-1.0 pet mentioned on previous page will install to /usr/lib, thus they will have precedence over the libxcb*'s already in /usr/X11R7/lib. That works, but it may be overkill. This pet will provide only the missing lib for a temporary fix. It installs to /usr/X11R7/lib:
(in either case, they should be uninstalled when the standard version is available)
Use the pet from upnorth and NOT the one I mentioned earlier.
I discovered that although the one I recommended did let chat start it broke Geany.
So I uninstalled it and installed this one from upnorth and now both chat and Geany work.

Sorry about that.
AKA: tom4jesus; Running Quirky 1.0 on Compaq cq10 netbook
Search the Puppy Forums to find that elusive PET;
[url]http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxSearchEngine[/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#35 Post by Flash »

Upgrading from Quirky 021 on a multisession DVD-RW to Quirky 100 on a multisession DVD-RW.

I Burned the iso with Pburn in Quirky 021 instead of Burniso2cd, to see how well multisession DVDs burned with Pburn work, then rebooted with the newly burned Quirky 100 DVD in the drive, choosing to "save to the CD." This has always worked before as a way to upgrade a multisession Puppy to a new version. It worked this time too, but with a hitch. The screen gave the usual message that it was saving the session to the first track of the new DVD, and the drive light indicated activity. Usually that would be the end of it but after the drive light went out the screen said it was time for a new disk or something. Figuring that everything I needed from Quirky 021 had been correctly saved to the newly burned Quirky 100 DVD, I held the start button in to force the computer to turn off, then rebooted. Everything was as it should be. All my settings and installed programs from Quirky 021 had been transferred to the new Quirky 100 multisession DVD-RW.

I'll burn the next Quirky iso with Burniso2cd, to see if the same thing happens.

aarf

#36 Post by aarf »

quirky debuts at number 24 on 7 day list. not bad at all.
should hit at least top 5 after a full week at that rate.
Attachments
dquirky.jpg
(64.77 KiB) Downloaded 1730 times

nubc

#37 Post by nubc »

Seamonkey 1.1.18??? If Quirky is an experimental version, why are we working with an old version of Seamonkey? So then, is Quirky gonna be like Debian Lenny (stable)? Wouldn't it be better, more progressive to work on integrating Seamonkey 2.x?

nooby

#38 Post by nooby »

nubc wrote:Seamonkey 1.1.18??? If Quirky is an experimental version, why are we working with an old version of Seamonkey? So then, is Quirky gonna be like Debian Lenny (stable)? Wouldn't it be better, more progressive to work on integrating Seamonkey 2.x?
Most likely it is about size. He wants a certain size to help those living far from the station.

I know such do matters. A relative lived two kilometers outside of my hometown and they relied on expensive Mobile Cell phone for internet. VEry expensive compared to landline DSL or ppoe Modem and I am lucky living close to a station that have fiber so me have some 50MB line most of the time.

But maybe Barry also like the Seamonkey.

Deal with it I guess he would say. I would prefer we had latest Firefox so every newbie knew what to do from scratch.

in Lupu you can chose which browser to use. That is the preferred way to me. To each their own pref.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nubc

#39 Post by nubc »

How much larger is SM 2.x than SM 1.1.18? I already reported that SM 1.1.18 does not render all the features on the new YT video page.

bitzer

#40 Post by bitzer »

No sound at live boot with Intel 82801H integrated audio card in my Acer Extensa 5220. There was no problem with 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3? Haven't found any other issues, the gnome-mplayer very impressive

linux28

#41 Post by linux28 »

Hello, everybody, is there xfce window manager?

smellyman

#42 Post by smellyman »

nubc wrote:Seamonkey 1.1.18??? If Quirky is an experimental version, why are we working with an old version of Seamonkey? So then, is Quirky gonna be like Debian Lenny (stable)? Wouldn't it be better, more progressive to work on integrating Seamonkey 2.x?
I believe Barry has stated that the newest seamonkey is just way to buggy.

nooby

#43 Post by nooby »

Re if one can remove delete erase seamonkey or not?

Edit

I received a PM describing how it should be done. So not sure what those that are skeptical talks about. As I remember it it was about dependencies for certain other progs that made use of same libs.

( thanks gjuhasz for your post below mine )

Some say it is possible and others indicate it is not?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 142#408142
I don't think you can remove Seamonkey, but Firefox will replace it as the default browser.
another that is skeptical.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 326#194326
Some other programs won't work if you remove SeaMonkey.
So my take on this is that I want Barry or some other dev to describe how it can be done safely to the newbie so they have a choice of browser or that Q1 go the Lupu route so seamonkey iis a choice from first minute and not installed from scratch.
Last edited by nooby on Thu 06 May 2010, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

gjuhasz

SM 1.1.18 package preinstalled

#44 Post by gjuhasz »

nooby wrote: ...so they have a choice of browser or that Q1 go the Lupu route so seamonkey iis a choice from first minute and not installed from scratch.
Although Seamonkey 1.1.18 is not the "defaultbrowser", it is preinstalled in Lupu. Invoke it by typing "seamonkey" in a terminal.

gerry

#45 Post by gerry »

Acer Aspire One-

Ran as live USB, created save file. Decided to frugal install, booted, but it obviously did not read the save file.

Frugal installed, was invited to create save file, did so.

Booted again, but still had to enter language etc. Looked for save file, found two- one in Puppy 100 folder, one outside. Deleted the outside file, and all ok since then.

Major problem: my Canon printer usually uses Canon driver downloaded from Kyoto University, but it won't work on Quirky. Having to use Gutenprint equivalent, but black comes out grey with that.

The driver worked on every Puppy that I've tried since 2.17, so I know what it needs in the way of lib files and symlinks- maybe it's getting a bit too old in some other way?

rcrsn51

#46 Post by rcrsn51 »

What model printer do you have? How is it connected? Do you have a link to the source of the driver?

If you print a test page from CUPS, what error messages do you get?

I don't think that the upgrade to CUPS 1.3.11 in Quirky should have caused the driver to fail.
symlinks
Is this a Windows shared printer? Have you run the CUPS Printer Wizard yet? It installs a patch that is required by the smb: protocol.

gerry

#47 Post by gerry »

@rcrsn51-

Link to files is:

deb http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/debian ./

I used a debian install and the apt-get download-only option to download the files, then used deb2pet to make pets, which I keep handy on a USB stick.

Printer is a Canon i965. Normally it is connected to a windows machine.

Cups error message is "Child process aborted".

I have run the wizard. I do know about the */smb to */smbspool link.

I've used the "Check dependencies of installed packages", and ldd, to check that nothing is missing. I've also put in a symlink called libtiff.so.4 to whatever libtiff is present (libtiff.so.3.8.2 off the top of my head).

Like I said, it has worked on many Puppies, and Debian and U*u*t* NBR.
Unusually, on Quirky it won't even work if I connect the printer locally.

gerry

alec78

SamsungX05 - Intel i810 Driver

#48 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,
Failed again.
No matter what I try I still get the vesa driver instead of the Intel i810 driver.
I typed i810 at the video driver stage, result, vesa driver.
I exited to the prompt and ran the xorgwizard, result, vesa driver.
I edited the xorg.conf and xorg.conf.Intel_r_852MG -----Chip files, replacing "vesa" with "i810" and ran xwin, result, nothing just returned to the prompt.
The i810 driver is in the ----/drivers folder and the libI810XvMC.so.1.0.0 file is in /usr/XR11R7/lib so it should not be a missing file.
It should be possible to con the system by editing the xorg.conf file to get graphics working using the i810 driver. Any suggestions?
The problem is I can not get touchpad tapping working.
Cheers

rcrsn51

#49 Post by rcrsn51 »

@gerry: Without a Debian setup, I can't download those packages. Could you PM me your PET version?

oui

#50 Post by oui »

Hi

I use Quirky as often as I can already a long time as Quirky is a really new distro.

The limit is the choice of packages. The media make us dependent of more software as java or flash plugins or codecs for the other ugly world of the internet.

And peoples are accoutumate to use ways like qemu or vbox or wine to extend her possibilities without to change the basic system they are using. Or skype to stay in contact with her friends and that are the limits actually if there is no depository for tested supplementary packages covering those needs.

The official pet's for Quirky are to find here

ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... es-quirky/

but where is the central place for the non-official ones or support about the test with success of usual puppy pet's in quirky to find?

java?
wine?
skype?
qemu?
windows media codecs?
a music sheets editor?

how as experience in that?

salut