Yet another communication protocol

For discussions about security.
nooby

#1 Post by nooby »

Doesn't use tcp/ip for internet.

I don't intend this as spam but I guess competing companies say I single out just them and not write general enough about the solution they make use of.
Hacking defense

* NetDisk device is safe from Internet hacking.
Even if your network is also connected to the Internet through DSL, NDAS is invisible to outsiders.

It is virtually impossible for a hacker to connect into Netdisk unit and steal or damage your data.

NDAS has its own proprietary protocol and does not use TCP/IP.

Therefore even if the network is connected outside to the Internet, NetDisk is secure from hacking.
works in linux too they say. http://www.iocellnetworks.com/solutions/ndas.php

NDAS has its own proprietary protocol and does not use TCP/IP

I wonder if my ISP would think that is a suspect thing to do. Their filters suddenly get aware of that I send out packages that has an unknown protocol. What would they do? shut me down for violating the agreement of the account?

I am so naive when it comes to computers. I thought that if one don't use the agreed upon protocol would the ISP even allow the traffic to go out?

All their alarm bells would ring and flash Spy traffic or something
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

This is known as security by obscurity. It might work for a while, but how long? Eventually someone will reverse engineer it, sneak in and kill all your d00ds. :lol:

DMcCunney

#3 Post by DMcCunney »

Flash wrote:This is known as security by obscurity. It might work for a while, but how long? Eventually someone will reverse engineer it, sneak in and kill all your d00ds. :lol:
Maybe, maybe not.

While TCP-IP is largely the standard networking protocol these days, others did and do exist. Microsoft had one used in their early MS-DOS networking. Novell had IPX/SPX, which are still supported as options in Windows. (A tech friend uses them when he needs to get printers attached to a network.) Apple had AppleTalk. Microsoft uses the SMB protocol for Microsoft Networking, and the open source Samba package allows *nix boxes to speak SMB and be seen as peers on and even domain controllers for Microsoft networks.

There's no reason why someone shouldn't come up with a proprietary protocol for attaching network storage devices, for increased performance as well as security.

Is it secure? Pretty much, I think. You need their proprietary drivers loaded to even see their network, and they implement security within it so even if you have the drivers, you still need authorization to attach to resources in it.

If you have the network analyzer hardware, you can capture traffic and try to reverse engineer and decode their stuff, but that requires you to be able to tap the network to do the capture. NDAS is implemented over ethernet, which means physical cables, not wireless, so you need physical access to the network.

If the bad guys have that, you have far bigger problems than whethjer they can reverse engineer a proprietary protocol.
______
Dennis

efiguy

#4 Post by efiguy »

Nooby,

Chase info on these protocals for a better understanding:

AoE - ATA on Ethernet disk related

LPX - Lean Packet Exchange

NDS - Novell Directory

SMB - Samba - btw another Australian invention ;) around '93

Most of the methods use special drivers to interface Ethernet hardware layers of an "intranet" and transmit information (specifically Ethernet Frames), in the early days speed was not great about 10 - 11 Mb sec, and they of course were not TCP/IP routable, And As Flash states - security by obscurity to outsiders, Not sure about on "intranet" - probabaly anybody on that ethernet could probe data with a little assembly lang - most driver authors would do an "exclusive OR" logic combination to avoid "casual text program data observation" because it is easy with low throughput impact. Pizzasgood - has a swell write-up on that method within Security.

Most data within an ethernet format can be "Encapsalated" in TCP/IP and placed in Internet format - making that data routable to modern means. Encapsulation can include any form of encryption as a seperate process.

BTW - DMc - Have followed threads of your very eloquent recent posts with much interest. Had a minor comment
toward some of the topics you spoke of in Suggestions about ROX.

Thanks
Jay

DMcCunney

Re: Yet another communication protocol

#5 Post by DMcCunney »

efiguy wrote:BTW - DMc - Have followed threads of your very eloquent recent posts with much interest. Had a minor comment toward some of the topics you spoke of in Suggestions about ROX.
Thanks, though I'm not sure which posts those were. I use Xfce4 as my normal desktop environment in Puppy and Ubuntu, spend most time in either Thunar or Xfe, and seldom actually use ROX. I don't recall participating in any threads about it.
______
Dennis