Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 04:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
TEENpup to be re-branded to ????????
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
john biles

PostPosted: Thu 13 May 2010, 00:11    Post subject:  TEENpup to be re-branded to ????????
Subject description: Released Date? When ready !

I've decided to re-brand TEENpup 2009 Legacy to ?????? and are currently working hard to bring it to you when it ready. No date set.

If TEENpup 2009 Legacy worked on your PC then ?????? should to. If it didn't then ?????? won't either Sorry!

Sage

PostPosted: Thu 13 May 2010, 01:31    Post subject:  

Great news, johnbiles. Re-branding is always a good idea - all the major retailers do it! Might I suggest you keep it in the family with naming. Do you see it as an old ColliePup, an all purpose RetrieverPup or maybe a killer app., MastifPup? The scope is extensive.
There's no point in trying to please everyone - that's BK's approach; the Wintel cartel will always smash you with leverage. Sufficient punters had a good experience with Legacy for you to not tinker with the innards too much.
nitehawk

PostPosted: Fri 14 May 2010, 15:10    Post subject:  

john biles,...
...really looking forward to ?????? (LOL!). I just recently got my copy of the 2009 Teenpup. It looks terrific from the live CD,...but I'm having problems trying to install to hard drive, and install grub. I'll keep working at it, though (could be my copy of the CD). I'm on dialup,..so had to get the CD from a reputable online linux CD shop. Teenpup really surprised me with all those apps! Man, that thing is loaded!!!

EDIT: You could call ?????? "SuperPup" (and give him a cape and stuff like that...and show him really flying) Laughing
cthisbear

PostPosted: Sat 15 May 2010, 05:56    Post subject:  

nitehawk:

I just saw this post.

" And I solved the problem.
I was going to follow rjbrewer's advice and actually install
another puplet, but I thought wtheck,
I'll see if it works on an ext2 partition. "

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55322

Chris.
nitehawk

PostPosted: Sat 22 May 2010, 20:43    Post subject:  

cthisbear..
thanks for that info....
yeah,..I discovered that little fact. Couldn't for the LIFE of me figure out what was wrong until the ext2 thingy. Laughing
I just really have to thank john biles for doing this pupplett, though. First Barry comes up with Puppy,..and I'm able to use my older computers. Now john biles takes it,....and adds everything (plus the kitchen sink)...so I don't have to go downloading lots of stuff (on my dinky dialup. I'm sooooo glad he's going to re-name TEENpup,..and give it a facelift.....
'cause I'm on the other end of the age spectrum than teens. I will just imagine that john biles and his ?????? (soon-to-be-named-pupplett) will be ever so helpful for the older set who have older computers that used to run Windows98SE..and are on dialup and fixed incomes. (I gave up w98SE a few years ago for W2K Pro,...but same situation). Then I found Linux. Oh, heaven.
OK,...john biles. Call this up-coming "TEENpup" (soon-to-be-re-named) "KITCHEN-SINK-PUP" Laughing Laughing Laughing
john biles

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 11:02    Post subject:  

Work continues at a steady pace and is coming together quit well.
With the large number of Distro's be it Puppy based or not catering for newer software, I feel now even more that I should cater for all those older PC's nobody loves and try and bring an exciting modern looking Distro that gives someone a very useful OS for their old PC that's compatible with current web standards.
If you find your software is too new for this OS all I can say in advance is sorry! About 75% there so hopefully you should be able to download soon!

nitehawk

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 14:50    Post subject:  

I'm looking forward to the new release. Been running TEENpup 2009 (Legacy) for awhile now, and enjoying it. It's a really big help for someone (like me) on slow dialup,....as well as those with older computers. Even with newer computers,..if you have to be on dialup, TEENpup (soon-to-be-renamed) has sooooo many good apps, that one doesn't need to do a lot of time-consuming downloading. So you're actually targeting TWO groups of computer-users (not just those with older hardware).
Just had one little "tiny" problem. Wine doesn't seem to work in Legacy (windows apps open with DosBox). Not a biggie. All I have to say, is if the next release is going to be better than Legacy,...it's gonna be good!
john biles

PostPosted: Sun 30 May 2010, 21:12    Post subject:  

Hello nitehawk,
TEENpup 2009 Legacy uses glibc 2.3.5 which meant Wine version 9.17 was the last version that worked properly. As glibc has been updated to 2.5 in the upcoming release there is now the possibility that never versions of wine will now work. I haven't tested this as I try not to use Windows Software.

Sage

PostPosted: Mon 31 May 2010, 02:43    Post subject:  

johnbiles, you're a star.
There is absolutely no need to worry about kiddies throwing their dosh away on the latest go-faster striped boxes because even these ill-informed 'dozers probably aren't so dunb as to cast their last years' model in the skip/dumpster - it's probably still under the bed, in the garage, or in the loft. It's resurrection and operation with ???Pup will soon demonstrate the error of their (their spouse's?! teenie offspring's?!) ways.
Press on regardless.
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 31 May 2010, 05:43    Post subject:  

Hey, JB

Glad to hear you've restored the faith and decided to stick with it!
I installed Teenpup about a year ago for an old friend of mine - ex MAC fanboy, and he's been pleased as punch with it, without too many, 'What have I done?', calls

Good Luck and hope you can come up with a good name

'Well-Rounded Pup', or just 'FunPup', come to mind

Aitch Smile
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Mon 31 May 2010, 06:20    Post subject:  

Good luck with this one.

CP .

nitehawk

PostPosted: Mon 31 May 2010, 13:21    Post subject:  

Quote:
'Well-Rounded Pup', or just 'FunPup', come to mind

"Well-Rounded" does have a ring to it. It's a fully-loaded distro on top of that fast little Puppy base. And boy do I ever need that now. My main P4 computer says it may need another motherboard,.....so it's my older PIII computers for now (until when I EVER get around to getting the parts for said P4)... Crying or Very sad Laughing
EDIT: btw,..JB...when it's finished,..you'll have to let Distrowatch know. I know that the 2009 Legacy is so popular,..that several of the more reputable online linux shops sell TEENpup. (of course they don't actually "sell" any linux for a profit,..just a tiny charge to burn it to a CD and a little for shipping). I can't download something as large as TEENpup (with dialup)...so I obtained my copy that way.
(I still think "SUPERpup" complete with the little puppy in cape etc. etc. would get a LOT of attention).
hottyson

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun 2010, 16:32    Post subject:  

CompletePup

That is what immediately came to my mind. Think about it. Is there any other usable distro in the world that is as complete as TEENpup?
Ray MK

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun 2010, 17:06    Post subject:  

MaxPup ?
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sat 05 Jun 2010, 17:41    Post subject:  

MegaPup... it's multinational..
Page 1 of 4 [46 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: