How to use HP C 4280 printer with Puppy 4.3.1?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
jhecht

How to use HP C 4280 printer with Puppy 4.3.1?

#1 Post by jhecht »

Hi - I need help installing a HP C 4280 printer on Puppy 4.3.1. The OS is on a Dell desktop, replacing a virused-out version of XP.

The new EU (end user) is thrilled with Puppy - loves the speed! (grin) But I need to install his AIO printer. First order of biz is printing, I'll deal with scanning later.

I have limited experience with the CUPS printer setup ritual - the only time I tried it was for a HP 7350 - which was in the list of known printers, and went in like butter. The HP C 4280 is NOT in the list, and the closest equivalents I tried didn't work.

Could someone point me the right way to get this working? And then, I'd LOVE to display the power of Puppy by getting his scanner functions working. Thanks in advance for any tips!
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Read here and upgrade your CUPS to 1.3.11.

Then you can use the newer HPIJS printer package. It has a driver for the HP Photosmart C4200 Series.

jhecht

#3 Post by jhecht »

rcrsn51 wrote:Read here and upgrade your CUPS to 1.3.11.

Then you can use the newer HPIJS printer package. It has a driver for the HP Photosmart C4200 Series.
Wow! Your advice was spot on!

My customer can now hear the happy sound of his printer working. I also installed the scanner drivers for the unit, but having never used a scanner with Puppy, I have no idea what software package will talk to the AIO printer.

Can you advise us on how to access the scanner functions?

Many many thanks!

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Run the Xsane scanner software from the Graphic menu.

Some HP units need to be rebooted when you switch from printer to scanner operation.

jhecht

#5 Post by jhecht »

rcrsn51 wrote:Run the Xsane scanner software from the Graphic menu.

Some HP units need to be rebooted when you switch from printer to scanner operation.
OR - as I found out visa versa! Your excellent advice got us scanning quickly and painlessly. But for some reason, I could not print an image from Gimp.

I came back here to post a question, saw your comment, and turned the printer off and back on. Voila, image printed.

Thanks to you guys for your first rate, and very quick help! My customer LOVES the speed of Puppy, and is very impressed with the forum support.