Please post any bugs you have found
peebee

Re: Gxine crashes

#196 Post by peebee »

Béèm wrote:
peebee wrote:HP 550 laptop running Puppy Linux 5.0.1
Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz
Memory : 2066MB (144MB used)

When I click the media player gxine crashes the whole machine leaving a black screen with a stuck pointer.
Just a wild idea.
What video driver is loaded and does it match your video controller?
(see f.e. xorg.conf)
The Device section from xorg.conf is below - does this provide any clues??

Section "Device"
# Available Driver options are:-
# Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
# <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
# [arg]: arg optional
#Option "NoAccel" # [<bool>]
#Option "SWcursor" # [<bool>]
#Option "ColorKey" # <i>
#Option "CacheLines" # <i>
#Option "Dac6Bit" # [<bool>]
#Option "DRI" # [<bool>]
#Option "NoDDC" # [<bool>]
#Option "ShowCache" # [<bool>]
#Option "XvMCSurfaces" # <i>
#Option "PageFlip" # [<bool>]
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel" #card0driver
VendorName "Intel Corporation"
BoardName "Mobile GME965/GLE960 Integrated Graphics Controller"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#197 Post by Béèm »

peebee,
You have indeed an intel board and the intel driver is selected.
I checked if there has been issues on your board, but I didn't have hits.
It probably is a new type of controller.
So the xorg.conf looks correct.

As I said it is a wild guess that this is of importance.

There is one other test you could make.
Change the

Code: Select all

statement in xorg.conf and replace intel by vesa
Then restart X.
If you still have the same problem, I don't know what the problem could be.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

peebee

Results of swap intel for vesa

#198 Post by peebee »

Béèm wrote:peebee,
You have indeed an intel board and the intel driver is selected.
I checked if there has been issues on your board, but I didn't have hits.
It probably is a new type of controller.
So the xorg.conf looks correct.

As I said it is a wild guess that this is of importance.

There is one other test you could make.
Change the

statement in xorg.conf and replace intel by vesa
Then restart X.
If you still have the same problem, I don't know what the problem could be.
Hmmm - well mixed results - making the suggested change does stop gxine crashing Puppy 5.0.1 however I only get a partial screen display with VESA - big black stripes down the sides - and unusable as some windows do not fit the shrunken screen.

For interest and comparison I did not have any problems like this with Puppy 4.3.1 which works just fine - the xorg.conf for 4.3.1 is:
BoardName "Unknown Board"
which differs from 5.0.1 in the BoardName

I think I am one of the many who will stick with 4.3.1 until 5.0.1 is properly sorted. I am also having problems with my WiFi connection which I'll put in a separate post.

Thanks for your interest and help - if you think of anything else for me to try I'll be happy to have a go.

Cheers
Peter

lwill

lupu - kmajongg install- problems

#199 Post by lwill »

Not sure if this is bug, or what it is a bug in. PPM? Package deps? Default paths for KDE stuff? Yes, I did a quick search and did not find a similar problem.
Testing Lupu live from CD. Started OK. Found video OK. Network OK. Installed Fire Fox OK.
Use PPM to install kmajongg from ubuntu-lucid-main. Installed ok. Did not run.
Menu entry pointed to "kmajongg" but was installed to "/usr/games/kmajongg" so did not run.
Ran from console got:
/usr/games/kmahjongg: error while loading shared libraries: libdbusmenu-qt.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Used PPM to search for lindbusmenu and installed libdbusmenu-qt2_0.3.2.
Changed menu entry.
Ran OK.
(I am considering installing this for the mother-in-law, so if she tries to install something, I don't want her to have problems like this. She likes games :D )
Lyle

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: Results of swap intel for vesa

#200 Post by Béèm »

peebee wrote:For interest and comparison I did not have any problems like this with Puppy 4.3.1 which works just fine - the xorg.conf for 4.3.1 is:
BoardName "Unknown Board"
which differs from 5.0.1 in the BoardName

I think I am one of the many who will stick with 4.3.1 until 5.0.1 is properly sorted. I am also having problems with my WiFi connection which I'll put in a separate post.

Thanks for your interest and help - if you think of anything else for me to try I'll be happy to have a go.

Cheers
Peter
Sorry to hear this.
Well, as 5.xx seems to give trouble, you might try quirky/wary either the normal or the retro version.
Time savers:

rsaavedra

Bug in grub full installation

#201 Post by rsaavedra »

Ran the live CD, worked fine. Then I used the Universal installer and requested a full install on a dedicated partition, this is on a PC that had four partitions in total: one with WinXP, another with just data, the third one a small partition I created for linux swap, and the fourth the one I was going to use for Puppy. (Wanted to have WinXP and Puppy on this machine in a dual boot mode.)

After installing Puppy I went for the menu option to install grub, and asked to have it installed in the MBR, even though it's not supposed to be the "safest" option, but it had worked before for me in previous versions, if I recall correctly.

Restarted the PC after the grub install finished, and grub's menu appeared. Selecting WinXP worked fine. Restarted and selected Puppy, but it did not work. It gave me a "Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel" message.

Fortunately, that was an easy to fix bug. The menu.lst file indeed did not have an initrd line.

What is more, for some reason the grub installation left the following line in /boot/grub/menu.lst :
kernel /boot/vmlinuz

When in fact, the installation had left the vmlinuz file right under /, not under /boot

I had to fix both of these problems in the menu.lst file. After that, choosing Puppy on the grub menu did finally boot Puppy.

As easy to fix as these bugs were, they are likely to ruin the installation experience for more than one newbie. Especially because a bare full installation on a dedicated partition using grub I think should require no user intervention to "fix" misconfigurations like these.

It is kind of ironic that the grub installation did perfectly find Windows XP and did launch it without a problem, whereas the fresh Puppy installation just created by the same Live CD could not be launched from that same grub install.

PS. I also think the universal installer could handle the installation of grub by itself, instead of telling the user to go ahead and install grub after having installed Puppy.

rjbrewer

#202 Post by rjbrewer »

The menu.lst for a full install does not use an initrd line.

The installer does the install of grub itself; just asking where you
want it.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

rsaavedra

#203 Post by rsaavedra »

rjbrewer wrote:The menu.lst for a full install does not use an initrd line.
How come my installation needed it then? How come I got the Kernel Panick message? I might be calling the actual kind of install incorrectly?
The installer does the install of grub itself; just asking where you
want it.
This wasn't the case for me. It installed Puppy with the Universal installer, and after installation it told me to go and install grub. I never got asked to have it installed by the Universal installer itself. Am I misremembering some things maybe? I did all of this this very afternoon, don't think I could have such a bad memory.

(For the record, I've installed ealier Puppy versions before at least three times without these problems, and I've installed several linux distros (Ubuntu and Debian) both on dedicated machines, as dual boots, and inside virtual machines using VirtualBox. So I wouldn't consider myself a newbie, and yet I had these end-user problems with a bare full install in this latest version of Puppy.)

rjbrewer

#204 Post by rjbrewer »

The important thing is; it's working for you.
My guess is that you did a frugal install; did it have you make a
save file?

Here is a full install video ; see if it's the same as the way
you did it.

This video doesn't include the dual boot with Windows.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 65&t=29653

Maybe there's something strange about the installer in these new
releases

Full installs

rsaavedra

#205 Post by rsaavedra »

rjbrewer wrote:The important thing is; it's working for you.
My guess is that you did a frugal install; did it have you make a
save file?

Here is a full install video ; see if it's the same as the way
you did it.

This video doesn't include the dual boot with Windows.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 65&t=29653
Yet it is working for me, after I had to dig in and fix things though.

Let's say I'm misremembering, and I might have done a frugal install instead of a full one. Even so, why on Earth wouldn't grub simply install properly and point to the right Puppy files in the right places?

Whether invoked directly from the Universal installer or afterwards, and whether in a full or frugal install, the resulting menu.lst file should be correct. The installation should perfectly configure things (and grub) to properly launch whatever type of freshly installed Puppy resides on my partition.

This problem that I had today never happened in previous dual boot installations of Puppy that I had done before. So there is a bug in there somewhere that had an impact in my installation of the latest Puppy. I just wanted to report on it. In fact, I just registered in this forum to do so. --From Puppy 4.0 (2008) I had installed all versions and never needed to register here to post any problems installing those previous Puppies. That might say something about this latest install.

8-bit

#206 Post by 8-bit »

I used to be able to enter username root password woofwoof in CUPS for administrator settings,
Now it does not work,
So how do I change settings?

EDIT:
Got administrator setting working without having a window pop up for username password!

I edited cupsd.conf by commenting out the line "Require user @SYSTEM" as per the following segment.
Of course you must realize that this takes away some protection. But we never had that much with cups anyway.

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType None
#  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order deny,allow
</Location>
Last edited by 8-bit on Mon 07 Jun 2010, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Lucid Puppy 5.0 - Bug Reports and Bug Fixes

#207 Post by gcmartin »

@rsaavedra is sharing some important info here. Judging from his account of the GRUB changes, it seems that he has a install issue that is cause for some review.

Maybe should take note and address this. For newbie acceptance if nothing else.

James C

#208 Post by James C »

rsaavedra wrote: Whether invoked directly from the Universal installer or afterwards, and whether in a full or frugal install, the resulting menu.lst file should be correct. The installation should perfectly configure things (and grub) to properly launch whatever type of freshly installed Puppy resides on my partition.
The Puppy installer doesn't automatically install grub and configure the menu lst because 1) some users want grub installed to the mbr while others choose to leave the mbr untouched and 2) some multi-boot users don't want to reinstall grub every time they install, its easier and faster to just edit the menu lst.

There are several ways to do a frugal install, and the resulting entry in the menu lst will be different as well.

HTH. :)

Béèm

#209 Post by Béèm »

peebee wrote:I think I am one of the many who will stick with 4.3.1 until 5.0.1 is properly sorted. I am also having problems with my WiFi connection which I'll put in a separate post.

I would PM playdayz and reference your thread.
Time savers:

novellahub

Re: Presario laptop 14xl250 (Trident CyberBlade) won't boot

#210 Post by novellahub »

[quote="Gurglin"]I tried to run the live CD on my 10-year-old laptop compaq presario 14 xl 250 (Trident CyberBlade graphic card), which has always worked with ANY puppy version (latest kernel), including Quirky.

With my major disappointment LuPu is the first Puppy Distro EVER which not only gives me problems, but that does not even boot! The boot process ends when on the screen I read “starting X, specs (...)
Joe
Lupu 5.28

rsaavedra

#211 Post by rsaavedra »

James C wrote:The Puppy installer doesn't automatically install grub and configure the menu lst because 1) some users want grub installed to the mbr while others choose to leave the mbr untouched and 2) some multi-boot users don't want to reinstall grub every time they install, its easier and faster to just edit the menu lst.
Good reasons to not have it "installed automatically." Not good reasons to simply not offer the user the option to install it right away, instead of asking the user to go ahead and install it afterwards, which is one of my points.
James C wrote:There are several ways to do a frugal install, and the resulting entry in the menu lst will be different as well.
True, but what difference does that make to my other point? I installed Puppy, whichever way, and then I choose to install grub. Said grub installation should *not* be left pointing to the Puppy files in the wrong folder, and should *not* be left with missing lines, as if I had installed Puppy a different way.

rjbrewer

#212 Post by rjbrewer »

rsaavedra wrote:
James C wrote:The Puppy installer doesn't automatically install grub and configure the menu lst because 1) some users want grub installed to the mbr while others choose to leave the mbr untouched and 2) some multi-boot users don't want to reinstall grub every time they install, its easier and faster to just edit the menu lst.
Good reasons to not have it "installed automatically." Not good reasons to simply not offer the user the option to install it right away, instead of asking the user to go ahead and install it afterwards, which is one of my points.
James C wrote:There are several ways to do a frugal install, and the resulting entry in the menu lst will be different as well.
True, but what difference does that make to my other point? I installed Puppy, whichever way, and then I choose to install grub. Said grub installation should *not* be left pointing to the Puppy files in the wrong folder, and should *not* be left with missing lines, as if I had installed Puppy a different way.
Just did a full install of Lucid to an old laptop.
Worked fine; same as every time since I started with 3.00.
No need to touch grub menu.lst.

Full installs

mave

encrypted ext3-lupusave: broken files (?)

#213 Post by mave »

Hi,

testing encryption on a new Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 with lupusave-file within ext3 file format. After next starting desktop icons (and other) are gone. Look at the screenshot.

Did I fail reading a special info about ext3 and encryption or...? (doing ext2 is okay)

Cheers
Markus
Attachments
desktop-with-encrypted-ext3-lupusave.jpg
(36.32 KiB) Downloaded 1584 times

rsaavedra

#214 Post by rsaavedra »

rjbrewer wrote:Just did a full install of Lucid to an old laptop.
Good for you!

Was that a dual boot setup? (Mine was.)

I haven´t retried the installation, but once again, in my case with the latest version it wasn't the same as every time since I started installing Puppy years ago.

rjbrewer

#215 Post by rjbrewer »

rsaavedra wrote:
rjbrewer wrote:Just did a full install of Lucid to an old laptop.
Good for you!

Was that a dual boot setup? (Mine was.)

I haven´t retried the installation, but once again, in my case with the latest version it wasn't the same as every time since I started installing Puppy years ago.
1 install to empty drive
1 dual boot with another puppy
1 dual boot with Xp
1 triple boot with puppies and Xp

Full installs