Quirky 1.2rc feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
jpeps

#241 Post by jpeps »

rjbrewer wrote:]

My old Inspiron 4000, 800mhz cpu, Ati rage graphics, plays jerky
youtube . Xorg or Xvesa makes no difference.
Did you try the nvidia driver?

DaveS

#242 Post by DaveS »

Dear God please help........ is there any way I can go back to using the mouse driver configured via xorg.conf instead of the FISynclient system?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Firewave

#243 Post by Firewave »

Some stuff I came across when setting up a 1.2rc:
- during the boot from the CD I saw something with "oldmouse" and "file not found" coming up
- when I use the universal installer and what to install to an internal harddisk I get my single disk (sda) to choose. After I created the partition I see the same selection dialog again, but it has sda list twice (already happened with 1.1)
- also in the universal installer after I selected to install it to sda it says, that the partition has an ext4 filesystem, although it was formated with ext2
- "lock" (as seen on the Desktop) does nothing for me in VirtualBox 3.2.2 and on my laptop (same for 1.1)

jemimah

#244 Post by jemimah »

DaveS, If you never use Flsynclient then you have the old system. It doesn't do anything unless you run it.

jemimah

#245 Post by jemimah »

This is a minor fix to xwin that will allow Xvesa to run at 1366x768. This is needed for the Eee 1101HA that has the Intel GMA500. The GMA500 has no decent Xorg driver so Xvesa support is definitely required.
Attachments
xwin.gz
(8.31 KiB) Downloaded 918 times

DaveS

#246 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote:DaveS, If you never use Flsynclient then you have the old system. It doesn't do anything unless you run it.
Can I disable it AFTER I have run it?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#247 Post by DaveS »

This is driving me crazy. I HAVE to run Flsynclient inorder to activate touchpad tapping. Changing settings in xorg.conf has ZERO effect on my touchpad behavior. I need to highlight, copy, and paste blocks of data around in spreadsheets, but when I highlight said blocks, they randomly paste themselves into the document, sometimes several times over. Sometimes, I will click on Rox to open it, and three or four windows open at once. NOTHING I do seems to have any effect. What am I missing?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Billtoo

Quirky 1.2rc feedback

#248 Post by Billtoo »

I downloaded quirky 1.2 final about 10 a.m. EDT and have been tying it out for hours. I compiled vlc 1.06 and made vlc the default player in pupradio.I was able to get 3 tv stations and 4 radio stations.

There is an application named tunapie that I have used in lucid puppy and kdpup, it gives shoutcast listings of radio and tv stations, well over 100, and most are in Europe although some are in the U.S. and the bitrate ranges from around 100-500 for tv and some radio stations have a bitrate of 32 so not too hard on bandwidth.I've tried to install tunapie in quirky 120 but I've had no luck,you can also make you're favourite player the default in tunapie preferences, I find smplayer works well in kdpup.

Anyhow, I don't have the knowhow but "tunapie-2.1.17.tar.gz" available at sourceforge.net would make a great pet for Quirky 1.2 I'd say :)

I see that CPU frequency scaling works automatically in this new quirky, I couldn't get it to work at all in 1.2rc.

I've been messing with vlc all day but the new quirky seems very solid and works well.
Attachments
RTL.jpg
(149.88 KiB) Downloaded 980 times

BarryK
Puppy Master

#249 Post by BarryK »

I have started a new thread for Quirky 1.2:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56436
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Abnormalter

#250 Post by Abnormalter »

nooby wrote: But I've been active here now 24/7 since Christmas 2009 and I get the feeling that Puppy Linux is more like a hobby project by Barry and supported and individually developed also by others that love what Barry suggested.
I'm use Puppy above 1.5 years. Between PuppyLinux 3.0 and Developer Puppy 4.84 it is very preferable & robust OS for home and working...
nooby wrote: What you take up do apply to major distros.
Yes!
nooby wrote: Am I not right in that Barry does indicate on his blog that this is experimental project that we use on our own risk and not something he promise to have the status of a warranted software?
Of course. But various Puppy releases, include developers, and on long time about 1.5 years runs fine and present as some reasonable and usable OS for more PCs. Only personally Barry developing basic of this OS, who present on Puppy codes between 2.xx and 4.xx, is very valuable solutions and invaluable contribution to the FSF.
nooby wrote:I don't criticise you but maybe, just maybe you take Puppy too seriously?
No! No! Puppy is seriously OS, very seriously! ;) :)
nooby wrote: Friendly smile from a total Nobody
I'm too! :) :) :)

P.S. Excuse my for answers delaying... :(

maddox

#251 Post by maddox »

Quirky's pmount doesn't correctly recognize windows UDF formatted CD/DVD disks : win's native burner prog burns them as UDF disks.
They are incorrectly recognised as "iso9660" and pmount won't mount them (red box error message)
"guess_fstype" correctly returns a FS as "udf"
using a console "mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/data" will mount the DVD-R, and contents are accessible (RO) without errors.

Tried "pudd" to copy an internal hd ntfs XP partition to an external USB-2 ntfs HD partition :
pudd automatically zero's the ntfs partition (for partition compression) then copies the data in very small blocks,
this takes really more than ages...
So I tried a console command : "dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=100000" -> 47155497984 bytes (47 GB) copied, 5065,81 s, 9,3 MB/s
- real data size was 3.47 GB and the rest was zeros
adding the option "bs=100000" or more really speeded up things -> 1hr 24min compared to +-10hrs, the copied ntfs partition seems clean using gparted.
After rebooting win XP, it needed 2 reboots : 1st reboot did a very quick check of the filesystem, all OK (updated file descriptors)
and 2nd reboot did a HAL update as I changed the HD : diff model and slightly bigger partition size.
- dd uses physical RAM size available and going overboard on "bs" can result in a no freeram situation,
so maybe a check on FreeRam minus a bit might be worth it.

Synaptics touchpad has a unknown function for me :
ex: open tray volume, then use mouse click to open volume bar, use 1 finger on touchpad to put cursor in vol bar area
and without removing 1st finger, use 2nd finger (on same hand) to slide volume level up or down (limit ~ 50%)
- This reminds me of my kid's HP pavillon laptop with a scroll bar setup on either side of the touchpad.
If the 2 fingers touch, the cursor will jump outside of the volume bar area : static or pressure sensitive area
- it does work although rather jumpy
But using 2 fingers at the same time (on same hand) and separated a bit, the volume will go up or down without jumps and seems independant of the intial finger pressure.

If the comma against point could be fixed for non US local users, this would be great (desktop icon partition size "0,0GB" )
also noticed this only happens if the size isn't round (contains decimal values)

".mid" file extensions aren't recognised by the default media player, this worked in puppy 4.3x series and before.

maddox

#252 Post by maddox »

Also noticed that CPU Temp warning will output multiple windows hidden under each other.
ex : if I let Quirky run for a while, there are multiple overTemp screens to cancel.

Also checked the same laptop under winXP and win7, what I noticed was that my fan has 2 speeds depending on the CPU temp,

Using "everest" (a win diag prog) I found out that the fan ran at slower speed before the CPU temp hit 72°C, and after that, it ran at full speed
so as to cool the CPU down.
Temp dropped from 72°C to 67°C (fan at full speed)

rcrsn51

#253 Post by rcrsn51 »

maddox wrote:Tried "pudd" to copy an internal hd ntfs XP partition to an external USB-2 ntfs HD partition
Read here for a faster cloning tool than Pudd.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#254 Post by Béèm »

maddox wrote:Also noticed that CPU Temp warning will output multiple windows hidden under each other.
ex : if I let Quirky run for a while, there are multiple overTemp screens to cancel.

Also checked the same laptop under winXP and win7, what I noticed was that my fan has 2 speeds depending on the CPU temp,

Using "everest" (a win diag prog) I found out that the fan ran at slower speed before the CPU temp hit 72°C, and after that, it ran at full speed
so as to cool the CPU down.
Temp dropped from 72°C to 67°C (fan at full speed)
I tried the latest everest (beta) but it doesn't give sensor information. fan speed neither.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

maddox

#255 Post by maddox »

rcrsn51
tried your gnoclone prog : internal XP ntfs HD partition to external usb XP ntfs partition
this test ntfs XP partition was a basic setup with 3 extra utility progs installed, no games or other extra soft installed
- extremly fast and sucessfull, 2min 20 sec for 3.47GB "file data" copied against ~1hr using pudd with bs=100000
maybe just add a quick reminder for win users : reboot 2 times after copying -> chkdsdk and HAL update (not exactely in that order, depends on partition size)
I haven't tried it on a vista partition, as they are somewhat different
if this catches on, could the binaries be translatable ?

Béèm
also used the win "everest" beta limited version
I used the graphical stress test to push the already warm laptop (my laptop's CPU fan doesn't have the 3rd wire : rpm )
if the cpu load is high and it's Temp goes over 72°C, the fan goes to full speed.

what I noticed, Quirky outputs a warning when the CPU reaches 71°C (BIOS or ACPI limits if applicable)
the fan starts at low speed at ~68°C (sys-info faster update), and if the cpu load is low this is sufficient to cool the CPU down to 56°C
if the cpu load is high (benchmark) and it's Temp goes over 72°C, the fan goes to full speed.
What might be incorrectly misinterpreted is either the OverTemp pop-up or the dashboard's thermometer icon and it's associated colors.
Maybe reserve the OverTemp pop-up for extreme cpu Temp and a message to shutdown immediatley.

rcrsn51

#256 Post by rcrsn51 »

maddox wrote:if this catches on, could the binaries be translatable ?
The programs are just bash scripts, so you can translate them any way you want. The main binary program is ntfsclone. As a check, I compiled it from source and it appears to be English-only.
What might be incorrectly misinterpreted is either the OverTemp pop-up or the dashboard's thermometer icon and it's associated colors. Maybe reserve the OverTemp pop-up for extreme cpu Temp and a message to shutdown immediatley.
You can right-click on the icon, open its configuration screen and increase the 70C threshold for warning messages.

Sylvander

#257 Post by Sylvander »

See this post [in the wrong location?] regarding qret-104.iso

Tried making a CD-RW using qret-112.iso and it wouldn't boot.
Hence cannot use it to update qret-104 Puppy.

What to do with the Puppy in qret-104.iso?
Loading from CD-RW and pupsave file on a partition on a Flash Drive.
Seems the CPU is running too fast.
Pwidgets-2.0.8 doesn't work when installed [only the analog clock shows]...
Pwidgets-2.2.7 displays all it aught, but shows the CPU usage at almost 100%.

Sylvander

#258 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Pwidgets-2.0.8 doesn't work when installed [only the analog clock shows]...
Pwidgets-2.2.7 displays all it aught, but shows the CPU usage at almost 100%.
"
Just now downloaded [to my pet&pup folder on the Flash Drive] and installed...
pwidgets-2.3.0.pet
That fixed the problem! :D 8)
The widgets are all displayed...
%CPU usage is [displayed as being] at its normal/low level.
RAM usage very low.

Pity it doesn't give the numbers/values as in Boxpup-431.
Boxpup & Teenpup have nice little tweaks.
e.g. Teenpup makes the partition icons snap-to-grid.

linuxcbon

#259 Post by linuxcbon »

Quirky 1.1.2 livecd :
- Adblock not in seamonkey.
- After unmounting drive, icon still shows as mounted.
OK, there is quirky 1.2.0 which is newer...

linuxcbon

#260 Post by linuxcbon »

Download latest at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... uirky-1.2/
It is qrky-120.iso