Quirky 1.2rc feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
tlchost

Re: Mplayer Difficulties

#61 Post by tlchost »

bigpup wrote: if enable mplayer cache is selected I would set it to 32K
opps...forgot I thanked you earlier.
Last edited by tlchost on Tue 18 May 2010, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.

tlchost

#62 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:Barry, qrky110 is awesome! I've got a new puppy love.
Have you tested it with your SFS loader?

Thanks
Thom

divisionmd

#63 Post by divisionmd »

Hello All,

* Quirky 1.1 is awesome... :D

* Wary020 (built with Qurky) is also good anyone know when Wary is out as a final or is there some release date plan somewere?

Best regards,
Johan

panzerpuppy

#64 Post by panzerpuppy »

- BarryK, how about implementing a new feature in Quirky - 'puppy pfix=temp' ?

When this 'cheatcode' is enabled, Quirky searches for an existing Quirky savefile on the hard drive, and if it finds one,it loads the savefile COMPLETELY in RAM as well and then unmounts the drive. Then Quirky continues to work in a similar fashion as if started with 'pfix=ram'.

This mode would be great for live testing/troubleshooting and for high-security browsing. With this mode there would no longer be a need to burn a separate machine-specific Quirky remaster for live use. Now we can have all our network, firewall, browser settings etc. stored in a savefile and still use Quirky as a *true* live CD.

- Another feature I would also like to see in Quirky is an additional option in Pmount to mount drives as read-only. This is really important when you want to access files in drives/partitions without touching/altering them. Good for rescuing data from failing hard drives, accessing files from 'flaky' DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and USB Flash drives.
Turbopup Tech Support

jrb

#65 Post by jrb »

Hi Barry,
Another recommendation for quirky1.2, :roll:

The xterm script file as used in the puppy4 series is gone from /usr/X11R7/bin/ replaced by a symlink in /usr/bin/ to /usr/bin/urxvt. This means the "xterm -hold -e" function no longer works. :cry:

I copied it from puppy431 into /usr/bin/ and my script files work again. :D Maybe you could put it into quirky1.2?

Thanks, J

jrb

#66 Post by jrb »

tlchost wrote:Have you tested it with your SFS loader?
Yep, SFS-TCZ_Linker_1.4 is fully functional in Quirky1.1. :D

divisionmd

#67 Post by divisionmd »

Hello All,

- A note to Barry and developers.

I noticed that at random boots - the boot process freezes.

It freezes when this text shows "loading drivers nneded to access disk drives".

Tested on different machines - and got the same thing. So something strange is happening at random bootup times.. .

Most of the times it works.

I am booting from USB + frugal + tested ext3 pup save file might be this that is causing this freeze will test ext2 but not sure.

Noticed the same thing with Quirky 1.1 and Wary 020.

Best regards,
Johan

Firewave

#68 Post by Firewave »

I already posted this as a blog comment, but reposting here since it's the proper place.

I ran into Quirky just a few days ago and so far I have been very pleased, but I ran into a few issues:
- .mkv files aren't asociated with mplayer, although it can play them
- mplayer sometimes doesn't go to fullscreen, but just to the upper corner of the screen and the shortcuts (C, F) aren't working most of the time
- it seems when the network connection is being disconnected (e.g. router restarting) while the system is running it's not able to restore the the connection
- it is not possible to mount the root (/) of a windows computer/samba share. doing some will also result in an irremovable entry in the share list
- a vnc client would be nice, but the realvnc.com linux version standalone is working so fine, so it's not really a priority
- the Internet Connection Wizard suggests to use the Simple Network Setup, but that won't see the wireless LAN settings you made, so you have to use the Network Wizard

I am running a hard disk installation.

Firewave

#69 Post by Firewave »

I also recognized the free disk space application exists as a icon on the left next to the "Menu" button and as a tray icon. I think one is enough. When I select "All Drives" it also shows sda1 twice (I only got sda1 and sda5 and it is installed to sda1).

jpeps

#70 Post by jpeps »

powerapplet_tray icon needs X reboot to display current state.

Edit: Just saw 2.2, which works better.

Firewave

#71 Post by Firewave »

jpeps wrote:powerapplet_tray icon needs X reboot to display current state.

Edit: Just saw 2.2, which works better.
Got the same issue, but updating to 2.2 didn't help.

Edit: nevermind...it just takes some time.

magerlab

#72 Post by magerlab »

is it possible to change background of blinky and rerovol ?
i use lxpanel and they do not match gtk theme
also i'd like to know where are the files that autostart them ( of course i looked in known places:)

mplayer compained for d-bus machine -id file one time and i cured that issue by running
/usr/bin/dbus-uuidgen
and manually created the text file needed with the id line:)

seamonkey 2 is fine!
i wonder how i will resist to install opera( of course new opera is coming :)

`f00

#73 Post by `f00 »

no need to resist opera here :)

@ecube on p4 (ref jwmconfig and tray/panelbuttons) - good idea, I've always found it easier to directly edit those traybuttons in rather than use the interface provided.

@panzerpuppy (above on this p5, ref pfix=temp) - another good idea, might need some tinkering in rc.shutdown

Used the 'basics' from q100 and various quirkys to put together another personal sfs and adapt an old smaller savefile for q110. Just picky about what I like to have, never got around to making dotpets or remastering a moving target like quirky recently. Anyhow it all turned out real well (think there's possibly some tweaking needs done in the order/layer that sfses load) and not much adjustment needed at all. Perhaps by editing /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG to the expected values it didn't give the usual 'version upgrade' plus /tmp/versioncleanup stuff and pretty much kept settings as-was. A real joy on the first boot to a clean non-roxpin desktop with no fuss nor nags :)

Real stable and comfy. Made a pass at using snap2 to bkp root, but it ran out of the little room I gave it before it completed :| guess it can't tell the difference between what's on sfs (wine, fonts etc) and what's on or will be on savefile on the initial run of snap2. Easier for me to just copy a 'known good' off from time to time (and the copy doesn't care if it's on a fat32 hdd). Seems to be a great idea though.

Every once in a while I get a file that's unreadable (or more so than usual ;) ), but then it's mostly a matter of finding one that can overwrite it to rights.

Once it settles a bit after boot, q110 is very responsive in jwm - is there some sort of subtle animation now? When I close a window or change xcompmgr state there's some slight vertical wipe effect. Little nuances I haven't really noticed before (like popup thumbnails in aftersteps menu and some bits of opera) seem to indicate that the display is optimal as far as older ati/radeon cards like mine are concerned.

broomdodger

urxvt home end keys

#74 Post by broomdodger »

urxvt home end keys
quirky110 (probably all quirky and puppy)

I use urxvt (aka console or terminal) often.

I have noticed the home and end keys do not function properly in mp, e3 and vi.

For quirky110 they should be:
Rxvt.keysym.Home: \033[1~
Rxvt.keysym.End: \033[4~

For puppy431 they should be:
Rxvt.keysym.0xFF50: \033[1~
Rxvt.keysym.0xFF57: \033[4~

In both comment out or change:
!Rxvt*keysym.0xFF50:\001
!Rxvt*keysym.0xFF57:\005

I recently learned how to change those in .Xdefaluts

jpeps

#75 Post by jpeps »

An extra meg, but FoxitReader is a huge plus. Some PDFs were unreadable with epdfview.

JustGreg

#76 Post by JustGreg »

Quirky 1.10 will be replacing Puppy 4.31 for me in a week or so. I found the nv xorg driver works better than the nvidia proprietary driver with my Acer Aspire Revo (Ion nvidia chipset) and AOC LCD (1360 by 768) . An interesting thing is the Puppy 5.0 nv driver does not work, but I have to use the Proprietary nvidia driver pet. A bit strange.

The only problem is with Mplayer. It will not play the mms stream for the "Gulch Short Wave Receiver). Gxine works on it in Puppy 4.31 but not mplayer. Mplayer connects, but no audio is heard. I have set the cache size to 32K and tried both oss (initial setting) and alsa for audio with no luck. Yes, I made sure the volume was up and not muted.

Other than Mplayer, there has been no major problems.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Firewave

#77 Post by Firewave »

I ran into an issue with the Puppy Package Manager. Open it and select any package then click on "More Info". Seamonkey will open. If you go back to the PPM you still see the dialog for the package, but the main dialog is already white. Close the package dialog and the main windows stays that way and you can't do anything, but kill it.

pri

#78 Post by pri »

hello :D

i am building this quirky from woof, but i thing it will be no defferent with quirky ready to download.

i am reporting printing isue, now cups cant share printer. so if i am instaling printer in server, client cant print directly to server. client cannot detected there is any printer instaled on server, but the strange thing is cups pdf on server detected by client. my server using quirky 1.1 and client using 4.3.1. my networking always good when i am 4.3.1 both in client and server.

the other one is i am always using xnview to preview and edit picture, xnview cant running then have an error like this :
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-o-normal-*-*-140-75-75-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-o-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct
X Error of failed request: BadName (named color or font does not exist)
Major opcode of failed request: 45 (X_OpenFont)
Serial number of failed request: 3732
Current serial number in output stream: 3750
look like cant detect font structure

but i have a good news too, now i can instaled Gimphoto . and running well without instaling any other libs. this is from debian file, i am modified a bit, so fit with puppy need. this gimp is helpfull for photoshop user.
http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/Pu ... _1.4.3.pet
Learning by Doing

gjuhasz

#79 Post by gjuhasz »

JustGreg wrote:Mplayer connects, but no audio is heard. I have set the cache size to 32K and tried both oss (initial setting) and alsa for audio with no luck. Yes, I made sure the volume was up and not muted.
Run retrovol in a terminal window (or right click the loudspeaker icon at the tray and select Full window). Within Retrovol, check the PCM checkbox and set its volume to some high value. Then hit CTRL + Q. PCM volume is not set by default in Quirky.

JustGreg

#80 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you, gjuhasz, for the tip. I did check PCM and it was set to the same level as master. Still no sound on this one station. I suspect it is a codec issue. Barry, is in the process of producing an updated mplayer. Hopefully, it will solve this problem.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much