Live CD, iso files on HD, 40 MB RAM, how do I boot Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
ChazZTheSpazZ

Live CD, iso files on HD, 40 MB RAM, how do I boot Puppy?

#1 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

Ok, I have wakepup on my floppy, and my 1.0.7 live-cd, and also the puppy files on my hard drive (haven't messed with booting yet so i have both). Now what...

My compy as i explained in another thread has very little memory (about 40mb) so i'm supposed to make a swap partition thing, right? So how do i do it?

Then saving the files, the pup001 thing, how does it work and how do I use it?

Furthermore, would I be able to use xorg on it? I really like that gui and it would be awesome if it works (as i said, i haven't tried yet).

It would be great if anyone could explain this in crude newb-friendly steps, thank you very much in advance :D

psy-fi

#2 Post by psy-fi »

boot from the live-cd and run the "install puppy hard drive" script in the setup menu. this should make the swap partition for you. the "pup001" file is basically a "soft" partition on your hard drive; you can mount it using the -o loop option (which is useful if you mess something up like i did when i screwed up my xorg.conf). it's just an easy way for the os to save your settings without repartitioning your hard drive.

check the help files included with puppy if you have any problems. if you're still lost, hit us back with the specific problem.

ChazZTheSpazZ

#3 Post by ChazZTheSpazZ »

i tried booting with the wakepup floppy but two dots came up on the screen and then it quit doing anything

I figured perhaps there's something wrong with the disk, but I haven't made a new one yet (my working computer doesn't have a floppy drive). I've been getting everything done on a friend's computer, including making the disk, and downloading and burning the iso image. I would go ahead and do it in DOS on the other compy but i already formatted the hard drive. Yay for me :(

kethd

#4 Post by kethd »

There are so many possibilites here... You have to decide on your approach.

If you use HDoption-2 install, everything is different!