Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

#226 Post by Jim1911 »

I hope the problem with Simple Network Setup opening with each reboot has been corrected. Presently, it opens with "STATUS: Currently there is no internet connection" which isn't correct as I'm posting using the connection now.

playdayz

#227 Post by playdayz »

Jim1911 wrote:I hope the problem with Simple Network Setup opening with each reboot has been corrected. Presently, it opens with "STATUS: Currently there is no internet connection" which isn't correct as I'm posting using the connection now.
Yes it has Jim. Watch for 204 tomorrow. Thanks.

playdayz

#228 Post by playdayz »

CUPS+browser........ There HAS to be another way...............?
One would think. I will look some more.

Here is the solution I am considering. When someone tries to start Cups the first time and they have not already picked and installed a browser then they will see the Browser Chooser. But that would mean that one would need the Internet in order to be able to print. Also I am hoping that if we can install Netsurf 2.x that Netsurf will do the job. I am open for better solutions. Please! :twisted:

prehistoric

Re: CUPS

#229 Post by prehistoric »

playdayz wrote:Groan. I had to--I am the one who suffers most from Cups.
You are not alone. I can't tell you how many utter that name like a curse.
The first step would be to use another browser--I think Firefox is safe. Then go to localhost:631 and hope for the best.

I was hoping against hope that Netsurf would work.... but I was paying more attention to other things in 203.
I get approximately the same behavior with Firefox. Now I'm wondering if the firewall is protecting me from contact with printers directly connected to localhost. Is there a simple, obvious way to disable the firewall temporarily, or is this a command line operation? I try to approach things the way a naive user would. When I start command line wizardry, my configuration quickly becomes idiosyncratic.
The second step would be to go to the first message in this thread and download and install the foomatic-db and see if more printers show up and even, it could happen, work! For the HP you should also download the extra HP ppd file; I think there is a good chance that will help.
Sorry, I didn't say I had installed both the foomatic db and the hpijs-3.10.2-dynppd pets. The new entries do show up in the printer administration menus. I've also tried dropping a ppd file in the box saying to drop it here, but this produced no apparent result. I think that is broken. Generally, it seems every communication with a printer, after initially detecting the printer, fails.
Actually you are helping though I know it is frustrating. It is certain that the HP printer and scanner files help with HP's. What I am not sure of is whether foomatic-db helps with anything.
Don't worry. You needn't tell me, I've been here before. Some time back, after some success with Stardust printing, I rashly decided I would help by testing at least one printer from each of several major manufacturers. One friend with a Canon machine promptly left town for a month. My test site with an Epson machine had a family crisis, which precluded experiments. Then, I became ill.

See why I suspect dark forces? :wink:

playdayz

#230 Post by playdayz »

I get approximately the same behavior with Firefox. Now I'm wondering if the firewall is protecting me from contact with printers directly connected to localhost. Is there a simple, obvious way to disable the firewall temporarily, or is this a command line operation?
That is interesting. It should not be a browser problem with Firefox. The simple check is to reboot with pfix=ram and do not install the firewall and see what happens.
I can't tell you how many utter that name like a curse.
It is good to know at least that I am not alone. Sometimes when I am frustrated with it I think, is this the best we can do? But sometimes things can be harder with Puppy because we do not have the standard Linux setup that most software assumes.

smokey01

#231 Post by smokey01 »

I don't know why but sometimes when I can't get cups to work I just use the ppd file that I know works with my printer and load it manually in cups. That's how it is working at the moment.

cups can be a real bitch.

James C

#232 Post by James C »

Kinda glad I don't have a printer at the moment.............. :lol:

James C

#233 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: James, tubeguy.. if you don't mind a little command line stuff, I've made a script to package up stuff you grab from the Ubuntu repos..
Neat stuff. :)

Went ahead and made a pet for Arora browser.Even has an icon in the menu :lol:

Thanks for all your work on Puppy. :)
Attachments
arora-browser.png
(172.42 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times

prehistoric

not firewall, what about login?

#234 Post by prehistoric »

O.K. guys, I tried starting from scratch, with pfix=ram and no firewall. That was a red herring. It behaves exactly the same way.

With the exception of not being able to drag and drop a ppd file into the form, every problem seems to come in trying to use printers after I have added them. Once added, I can't even seem to delete a printer.

Could I be back to having to login as lpadmin to do anything? I've been thinking you got rid of the problem of having to login as root. Indeed, I can't see any obvious place to do a login.

Oooh, CUPS, damn it, CUPS!

Added: I've tried smokey01's work around of manually installing the ppd. That isn't the problem either. The correct ppd is present, e.g. for the HP Officejet 6000a E609a, CUPS just doesn't want to do anything with it.
------flash update------
Printing from Abiword works! The bug is in printing that test page from CUPS. Arrrghh! We've been here before. :roll:
(Did zigbert fix this one?)

01micko

#235 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote:
01micko wrote: James, tubeguy.. if you don't mind a little command line stuff, I've made a script to package up stuff you grab from the Ubuntu repos..
Neat stuff. :)

Went ahead and made a pet for Arora browser.Even has an icon in the menu :lol:

Thanks for all your work on Puppy. :)
Happy 1000th post James! :lol:

Where's your pet uploaded? You can use one of those free sites with heaps of ads if you like and playdayz or myself can mirror it.(btw, thanks again Smokey :wink: ). It will probably end up in the official repo, we need more!

..and thanks for all your testing. 8)

Cheers :D
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#236 Post by 01micko »

New browser-default pet, it covers the newer chrome and splashes your choice, as well as launching it... :wink:

Also find attached a new pack-deb-wheelbarrow script (or whatever it was called :roll: ).. renamed to debs2pkg. Added stripping of bins and libs, as an option halfway through the script.

Cheers
Attachments
browser-default-0.8.pet
WARNING: Not compatible with DuDE, unless you install manuallly
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
debs2pkg-0.2.tar.gz
plonk it in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

WhoDo

#237 Post by WhoDo »

01micko wrote:Where's your pet uploaded? You can use one of those free sites with heaps of ads if you like and playdayz or myself can mirror it.
Nah! Use DataFileHost - http://www.datafilehost.com/ - it's free, good speed and no ads!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

tubeguy

Lucid pet hosting

#238 Post by tubeguy »

Just set up this FTP account:

host tubeguy.org
username: u36061570-lucidpets
password: PM me for password

Open to anybody wanting to post Lucid pets.
Attachments
ftplucidpets.png
(7.49 KiB) Downloaded 865 times
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

prehistoric

tested two more pets

#239 Post by prehistoric »

In case people missed my added comment above, CUPS does in fact work with the Samsung ML-1710 and HP Officejet 6000a, (using the foomatic-db and hpijs pets) it just doesn't print the test page as expected, or perform several other actions. I've been able to print from Abiword.

Two programs compiled by ttuuxxx for the puppy 4 series also work on my installation of luci203: galculator-1.3.3.pet and gtkhash-0.2.1-i486.pet.

This last takes me into an area of my ignorance. I've long wanted to associate several programs with the .iso file type. My reading of the documentation says this should be possible as an 'advanced use' of ROX filer, by creating an .iso directory in the Sendto directory, and linking the programs I want to use for that file type there. This kind of convenient association takes little space, and makes use much easier.

What I'm hoping for is a custom menu for iso files containing gtkhash, isomaster and pburn. My first try failed. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Jim1911

#240 Post by Jim1911 »

Mick wrote:Not compatible with DuDE, unless you install manuallly
Bad dog! Thanks for the warning. :lol:

Snail

Rox menu customisation

#241 Post by Snail »

@Prehistoric

Hi Prehistoric, no advanced skills needed, even I can do it. Some lovely developer has semi-automated it for us already. Just use the "Customise-Menu" option on the menu you get when you right-click on any iso file in Rox-filer. I did need to put a wrapper script around gdmap when I associated it with directories, but that doesn't seem generally necessary.

murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5 ... 144f03cca5

James C

#242 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: Where's your pet uploaded? You can use one of those free sites with heaps of ads if you like and playdayz or myself can mirror it.(btw, thanks again Smokey :wink: ). It will probably end up in the official repo, we need more!
A funny thing happened........................................... saw your new script and I decided to make a new "stripped" smaller Arora pet. I deleted and removed all the old Arora files and the pet and now for some unknown reason I cannot make a pet that works. :oops:
All I get now is a pet that contains the desktop file (it shows up in the menu), pet specs file and all the debs. :lol: Nothing installs except the file in/usr/share/applications.

Don't know if I'm really to tired or if I just got lucky the first try..... :)

See what I can do again, after I get some sleep.

prehistoric

Doh! moment on customization

#243 Post by prehistoric »

@Snail,

I just had a "Doh!" moment, when I realized the "customize menu" choice for a particular file type was different from the "customize" option on the "Open with.." selection.

I have put gtkhash, isomaster and pburn on my special menu for .iso files. I have also set up jpg and gif files so I can open them with either mtpaint, gimp or viewnior. Another possible choice is between opening text files with geany or abiword.

Since gtkhash is not part of luci 203, (presumably because of space,) I tried to set up a trivial script to run md5sum in a console. This attempt ran aground when it kept exiting before I could read the result. Someone with better skills might complete this, so we can put this tiny script in the release, and on a special iso submenu. It might cut down on questions about "what do I do with an iso?" and "how do I tell if I got a good download?".

playdayz

Luci-204 posted

#244 Post by playdayz »

I just posted luci-204, the next development/testing release on the way to Lucid Puppy 5.1.

It is discussed in the first message in this tread. Thank you.

seaside

Re: Doh! moment on customization

#245 Post by seaside »

prehistoric wrote:@Snail,

I tried to set up a trivial script to run md5sum in a console. This attempt ran aground when it kept exiting before I could read the result. Someone with better skills might complete this, so we can put this tiny script in the release, and on a special iso submenu. It might cut down on questions about "what do I do with an iso?" and "how do I tell if I got a good download?".
Here's a script that I put together to test md5sums.

I use it on a right-click -file - open with -menu. Paste the md5sum in the box and it makes the comparison.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh -a

checksum() { 
	echo "$MDSUM  $1" >/tmp/mdsumtmp
	[ "`md5sum -c /tmp/mdsumtmp`" ]  && yaf-splash -font "12x24" -outline 0 -bg green -bd green -text "Checksum OK -- click on message when finished" || yaf-splash -font "12x24" -outline 0 -bg orange -bd orange -text "Checksum BAD! -- click on message when finished"
 }

GUI=$(cat <<EOV|sed "s/#.*//" # enable interpolation and comments
<window title="Check Md5sum">
<frame>
			<hbox>
      			<text>
        			<label>Md5sum digits:</label>
      			</text>
					<entry activates-default="true">
					<default>Paste Md5sum here</default>
					<variable>MDSUM</variable>
					</entry>
				<button can-default="true" has-default="true">
					<input file>"/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/archive24.png"</input>
					<label>Check Sum</label>
					<action>checksum $1</action>
					</button>
				 <button cancel>
				<action type="exit">QUIT</action> 
			</button>
			</hbox>
		</frame>
</window>		
EOV)
CHOICES=`gtkdialog3 -p GUI`
It also could be adapted to run in other ways as well.

Cheers,
s