Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Snail

Rox menu customisation

#241 Post by Snail »

@Prehistoric

Hi Prehistoric, no advanced skills needed, even I can do it. Some lovely developer has semi-automated it for us already. Just use the "Customise-Menu" option on the menu you get when you right-click on any iso file in Rox-filer. I did need to put a wrapper script around gdmap when I associated it with directories, but that doesn't seem generally necessary.

murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5 ... 144f03cca5

James C

#242 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: Where's your pet uploaded? You can use one of those free sites with heaps of ads if you like and playdayz or myself can mirror it.(btw, thanks again Smokey :wink: ). It will probably end up in the official repo, we need more!
A funny thing happened........................................... saw your new script and I decided to make a new "stripped" smaller Arora pet. I deleted and removed all the old Arora files and the pet and now for some unknown reason I cannot make a pet that works. :oops:
All I get now is a pet that contains the desktop file (it shows up in the menu), pet specs file and all the debs. :lol: Nothing installs except the file in/usr/share/applications.

Don't know if I'm really to tired or if I just got lucky the first try..... :)

See what I can do again, after I get some sleep.

prehistoric

Doh! moment on customization

#243 Post by prehistoric »

@Snail,

I just had a "Doh!" moment, when I realized the "customize menu" choice for a particular file type was different from the "customize" option on the "Open with.." selection.

I have put gtkhash, isomaster and pburn on my special menu for .iso files. I have also set up jpg and gif files so I can open them with either mtpaint, gimp or viewnior. Another possible choice is between opening text files with geany or abiword.

Since gtkhash is not part of luci 203, (presumably because of space,) I tried to set up a trivial script to run md5sum in a console. This attempt ran aground when it kept exiting before I could read the result. Someone with better skills might complete this, so we can put this tiny script in the release, and on a special iso submenu. It might cut down on questions about "what do I do with an iso?" and "how do I tell if I got a good download?".

playdayz

Luci-204 posted

#244 Post by playdayz »

I just posted luci-204, the next development/testing release on the way to Lucid Puppy 5.1.

It is discussed in the first message in this tread. Thank you.

seaside

Re: Doh! moment on customization

#245 Post by seaside »

prehistoric wrote:@Snail,

I tried to set up a trivial script to run md5sum in a console. This attempt ran aground when it kept exiting before I could read the result. Someone with better skills might complete this, so we can put this tiny script in the release, and on a special iso submenu. It might cut down on questions about "what do I do with an iso?" and "how do I tell if I got a good download?".
Here's a script that I put together to test md5sums.

I use it on a right-click -file - open with -menu. Paste the md5sum in the box and it makes the comparison.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh -a

checksum() { 
	echo "$MDSUM  $1" >/tmp/mdsumtmp
	[ "`md5sum -c /tmp/mdsumtmp`" ]  && yaf-splash -font "12x24" -outline 0 -bg green -bd green -text "Checksum OK -- click on message when finished" || yaf-splash -font "12x24" -outline 0 -bg orange -bd orange -text "Checksum BAD! -- click on message when finished"
 }

GUI=$(cat <<EOV|sed "s/#.*//" # enable interpolation and comments
<window title="Check Md5sum">
<frame>
			<hbox>
      			<text>
        			<label>Md5sum digits:</label>
      			</text>
					<entry activates-default="true">
					<default>Paste Md5sum here</default>
					<variable>MDSUM</variable>
					</entry>
				<button can-default="true" has-default="true">
					<input file>"/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/archive24.png"</input>
					<label>Check Sum</label>
					<action>checksum $1</action>
					</button>
				 <button cancel>
				<action type="exit">QUIT</action> 
			</button>
			</hbox>
		</frame>
</window>		
EOV)
CHOICES=`gtkdialog3 -p GUI`
It also could be adapted to run in other ways as well.

Cheers,
s

prehistoric

great minds don't always think exactly alike

#246 Post by prehistoric »

Hi seaside,

While you were posting that code, I was off hacking up a tiny script by JustGreg. It was only designed to use on that custom ROX menu, so it just takes a command-line argument for the file and computes one md5sum. Then it waits until you click "OK", so you have a chance to read the result. (The use of tr to do formating betrays my history as an old perpetrator of Unix one liners.)

#!/bin/sh
# For use with Puppy 5.0 Lucid, JustGreg 15 June 2010
# (for application to read CPU temperature)
# Based on  Zigbert's guide to gtkdialog post,
# http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38608
# used by prehistoric to create a tiny script to display md5sums
# 16 June 2010

TEXT=`md5sum $@ | tr "[:blank:]" "\r"`

export script='
<vbox>
 <text> 
  <label>md5sum: '$TEXT'</label>
 </text>
 <hbox homogeneous="true">
  <button ok><action>Exit:0</action></button>
 </hbox>
</vbox>'

gtkdialog3 --program=script 
## exit from another poster on ubuntu
unset script #this ensures removal from memory
##  <hbox>
##  </hbox>
In case, anyone wants this on the desktop, I've created a check icon.
Attachments
check48.png
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 1392 times

James C

#247 Post by James C »

WhoDo wrote:
01micko wrote:Where's your pet uploaded? You can use one of those free sites with heaps of ads if you like and playdayz or myself can mirror it.
Nah! Use DataFileHost - http://www.datafilehost.com/ - it's free, good speed and no ads!
Finally got the pet made again. :)

Arora-0.10.2 browser tested in Lucid 5.0.1 and Luci 203. Download link

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-f6c2ecd8.html

Test it, mirror it............pretty nice little QT/WebKit browser.
Attachments
arora-menu.png
(189.41 KiB) Downloaded 1384 times
arora-0.10.2.png
(105.44 KiB) Downloaded 1410 times

James C

#248 Post by James C »

Grabbed and did a fresh frugal install of 204 while I was uploading the pet.On the old test P3 video and sound was working correctly on first boot. More testing in a few. :)

shinobar

automatic connection

#249 Post by shinobar »

running lupu-204.
I wondered why the 'sns' launches for the first boot. Because i have an eth0 interface and DHCP environment, in this case rc.network should connect automatically.
And i found that the rc.sysinit skips rc.network for the first run.
The /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, maybe from the recent woof, is better to be modified.

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit at line 525-

#this only sets up interface 'lo'...
  /etc/rc.d/rc.network_basic &
rewrite to:

#100617 shinobar: launch rc.network if eth0 is usable
  #this only sets up interface 'lo'...
  RCNETWORK=/etc/rc.d/rc.network_basic
  # eth0 usable?
  /sbin/ifconfig eth0 &>/dev/null && RCNETWORK=/etc/rc.d/rc.network
  $RCNETWORK &

01micko

#250 Post by 01micko »

Jim1911 wrote:
Mick wrote:Not compatible with DuDE, unless you install manuallly
Bad dog! Thanks for the warning. :lol:
Now there's a bad dog!

What you can do Jim is cut down your desktops to 3 instead of the default 4 (or not, depends on how much stuff you want in your tray) and modify /root/.stardust/trays/Main_tray.rc to look like so:

<JWM>
 <Tray autohide="false" insert="right" border="1" layer="8" halign="center" valign="bottom" height="28" layout="horizontal" >
  <TrayButton icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/start-button.png">root:0</TrayButton>
  <TrayButton popup="Choose Default Browser" icon="www24.png">exec:browser-default</TrayButton>
  <Pager/>
  <TaskList/>
  <Dock/>
  <Swallow name="blinky">
blinkydelayed -bg "#3b3b3b"
  </Swallow>
  <Swallow name="xload" width="32">
xload -nolabel -fg "#37483A" -hl white -bg "#3b3b3b"
  </Swallow>
  <Swallow name="freememapplet" width="34">
freememappletshell
  </Swallow>
  <Clock format="%H:%M ">minixcal</Clock>
 </Tray>
</JWM>
with the important addition being " <TrayButton popup="Choose Default Browser" icon="www24.png">exec:browser-default</TrayButton>" at line 4. Then you can rename the .pet to browser-default-0.8.pet.tar.gz and expand it, throwing the error, then open it up and find the script in /usr/sbin of the pet folder and move that to /usr/sbin on your system, overwriting the older version.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

Re: The Next Step Towards Lucid Puppy 5.1 - Luci-204

#251 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote: High Performance for Nvidia Graphics. This is the Nvidia pet by 01micko. He discusses it on page 9 of this thread. 01micko will provide further instructions but I believe that you will have to install the pet ands then Menu _ Exit to prompt and run xorgwizard then xwin.
It is now in the Puppy package Manager.
Um, no, it's Barrys in the repo. (see screeny). There is a pinstall.sh script in the pet that gives brief instructions on what to do.

I have tried to strip the bins and libs in the pet but it made no difference to size. I will see what docs and man pages I can strip out, most of that is useless to most users. I will prepare a smaller version for luci-205. I'll be happy if I can get it under 40meg, but in saying that it may not be possible, keeping in mind we need to retain all the glx stuff. If a user doesn't want glx stuff I think Barry's version still works ok, and is half the size.

So far no problems with 204 .. and the stuff seems to have filtered through to the mirrors already, I got chrome-6 out of aarnet mirror in Australia, it's really fast for me, 20 second download!

Now to test James' pet ... should be another browser for the repo, the Lucid Puppy user may get confused with all these browser choices! :lol:

Cheers
Attachments
nvidia-PPM.png
(85.49 KiB) Downloaded 1384 times

01micko

#252 Post by 01micko »

First time I ever tried Arora, nice browser! Works very well and it's fast. Nice one James.

Mirror: http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lucid/arora-0.10.2.pet 23MB

983824b731b9ac811dfe33ea548496b9 arora-0.10.2.pet

I just wonder if we should offer Webkit as a separate download, then browsers like Midori and Arora could be smaller pets. Plus there are a ton of other browser projects out there dependant on webkit.

Thoughts?

01micko

#253 Post by 01micko »

Didn't see numlockx in the repo, I know Jim likes that one,

I added a startup script to this pet, only difference in naming is that this one has capital L for Lucid

Petspecs
numlockx_Lucid_1.1-10|numlockx_Lucid_1.1|10||BuildingBlock|36K||numlockx_Lucid_1.1-10.pet||numlock at startup|ubuntu|lucid||
Attachments
numlockx_Lucid_1.1-10.pet
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

01micko

#254 Post by 01micko »

Linphone

Linphone is a telephony/conferencing program supporting Voip and webcam.

This is the Ubuntu version with dependencies. There is a later version... more on that later...

It requires that you register a SIP account... it's free, don't worry... there is some info here and plenty more in the world wide web.

Linphone website

Simon Morlat, the developer of Linphone is very active and available, so it is well supported.

This is basically a FOSS alternative to Skype, and is much smaller so may suit older machines and using the SIP protocol has advantages with slower connections.

Download http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/lucid/l ... -3.2.1.pet 6MB

Checksum 72dacc88ef1bd1430431634aad651ef8 linphone-3.2.1.pet

no petspecs this is for testing.. please try it, I'll publish my SIP address later.

Note: You must have configured your webcam, sound and microphone. If people like this app I will make some tools to make this configuration easier. Also, upon the same condition, I will compile the latest version which is 3.3.1 and I'll also request Simon Morlat to fix some minor bugs that are Puppy specific,

Cheers and enjoy... feedback please. :)
Attachments
linphone.png
(170.09 KiB) Downloaded 1319 times

prehistoric

luci 204 looks good

#255 Post by prehistoric »

My regular machine is running so well under luci 204 that I've moved my mail and bookmarks, so I can use it full time, which is unusual for me.
(dual-core AMD 5000+ with AMD 690 embedded graphics, 2 GB RAM, 750 GB SATA disk, SATA DVD burner, generic flash card adapter, wired ethernet, USB external wireless.)

I've now set up both USB printers, HP Officejet 6000a and Samsung ML 1710, under CUPS. The hpijs-3.10.2-dynppd.pet handles the hp printer without problems. The foomaticdb-20100216-lupu.pet is missing an entry for the Samsung ML-1710. I added the ppd from the openprinting.org page for this printer, here. The browse button worked fine for locating the downloaded ppd file.

At present, I'm running the standard radeon driver instead of the radeonhd driver in the full xorg pet. Both work, but I'm not sure I gain anything from the hd driver except possible bugs.

I've added OOo, Skype static and luci204-devx sfs files, and installed Firefox 3.6.3 Lucid, jre 1.6.20, gimp 2.6.8 Lucid without problems. I'm using the gtkhash-0.2.1-i486 and galculator 1.3.3 pets mentioned before.

So far, so good.

playdayz

#256 Post by playdayz »

Sorry 01micko. Here I go to fix it.
Um, no, it's Barrys in the repo. (see screeny).

abushcrafter

#257 Post by abushcrafter »

01micko wrote:I just wonder if we should offer Webkit as a separate download, then browsers like Midori and Arora could be smaller pets. Plus there are a ton of other browser projects out there dependant on webkit.

Thoughts?
Arora uses QTWebKit, so not the same WebKit as Midori.

prehistoric

weird behavior of CPU frequency scaling

#258 Post by prehistoric »

Even with 204 I'm still getting strange behavior from the CPU frequency scaling utility. One point I notice is that the window sometimes says 1.3-1 and sometimes 1.3-2. This sounds like a race condition between two versions.

I'm also being told any module I try is incompatible. This machine has been working with the AMD powernow K8 module. After I futz with things for some time, I have been able to get a window which says CPU frequency scaling is already running. This appears to be non-deterministic, and I don't have any guaranteed way to get this started.

Once it starts, I can see the reported temperature go down. After I get it started, it appears to run without problems on later boots.

playdayz

#259 Post by playdayz »

Here is an update to luci-204. It corrects the wrong Nvidia pet in Puppy Package Manager, and adds the new Arora pet by James C. It also assigns the defaultaudioplayer to gnome-mplayer. Finally, it adds a config for Qt programs, which we have several of now in the PPM, Arora, SMPlayer, and Scribus, at least.
http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/u ... 100617.pet

Also, updating the repos in Puppy Package Manager will get the correct Nvidia pet and the new Arora. It may be necessary to reboot.

James C, you will see a different color scheme on Arora after applying the update pet. It's not set, but I thought it was better than the scheme the qt programs have by default.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 17 Jun 2010, 21:13, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#260 Post by playdayz »

strange behavior from the CPU frequency scaling utility. One point I notice is that the window sometimes says 1.3-1 and sometimes 1.3-2. This sounds like a race condition between two versions.

I'm also being told any module I try is incompatible. This machine has been working with the AMD powernow K8 module.
Me too, prehistoric. It sounds the same--powernow-k8 is the one that should work--in fact, has worked in previous versions on this computer. I am being told that it is not compatible. I just refreshed and it asked me to reboot, so I will try that.

Do you happen to recall when it stopped working correctly? I think it is trio's program and I think he is not doing much with Puppy now. Maybe some one will take it over.