Lucid Puppy 5.1- A Full-Featured Compact Distro

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

#46 Post by Jim1911 »

Sorry,

There is a serious problem with the shutdown menu. When I tried to restartX or reboot, the menu bar disappeared, desktop would not respond to any keys or mouse movement.

After discovering above I added the code nomodeset that tazoc suggested to solve a black screen problem with his new Lighthouse 5.0 that uses the same kernel. It did change the symptoms in Lucid, restartx takes you to the xorg probe window so video is set up again and the shutdown menu did a proper reboot. Maybe that will give you a clue.

Cheers,
Jim

playdayz

#47 Post by playdayz »

It did change the symptoms in Lucid, restartx takes you to the xorg probe window so video is set up again and the shutdown menu did a proper reboot. Maybe that will give you a clue.
Don't worry Jim; things are supposed to be broken! The nomodeset sounds like it made it behave as it should. Since it (xwin) always checks to see if there is a complete xorg.conf, and there never is, then it will go to xorgwizard (Probe) every time X is restarted. Thanks.

Yes, that is a clue. My radeon behaves just like that, but without the nomodeset. What video is in that machine please?

James C

#48 Post by James C »

Quick live test of latest Luci 200 development release in the machine with onboard Prosavage graphics, xorgwizard and probe went directly to the correct 1024x768x24 screen resolution. :)

Will do a frugal install a bit later.

Jim1911

#49 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote:
It did change the symptoms in Lucid, restartx takes you to the xorg probe window so video is set up again and the shutdown menu did a proper reboot. Maybe that will give you a clue.
Don't worry Jim; things are supposed to be broken! The nomodeset sounds like it made it behave as it should. Since it (xwin) always checks to see if there is a complete xorg.conf, and there never is, then it will go to xorgwizard (Probe) every time X is restarted. Thanks.

Yes, that is a clue. My radeon behaves just like that, but without the nomodeset. What video is in that machine please?
Yes, that's the purpose of testing. Hope this helped.
System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#50 Post by Béèm »

Béèm wrote:
playdayz wrote:I would like to see a "KDE/QT" base option in Quickpet that would enable various KDE/QT programs. That is, once installing the "base" then programs such as Amarok, K3b, and K-Office could be downloaded and run. As I understand it, KDE4 is built with this in mind, offering a "kde-runtime" that is basically the base I mentioned
.Are you aware of KDPUP?
@playdayz,
I would appreciate your comments on this.
Thank you.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Selection clock local/utc

#51 Post by Béèm »

I am not sure it's a good idea to have the clock selection dialog.
I think 95% of the non geek users will be confused and won't know what to choose. Until the recent discussion about the subject, I wasn't even aware of local versus utc clock setting myself.
If they take the wrong decision, this will lead to frustration and extra questions in the forum.
Time savers:

rokytnji

Asus Micro Desktop

#52 Post by rokytnji »

Installed Chromium Browser OK. Gxine played my Gary Newman Song OK off of external 1 TB USB Hardrive. P music wouldn't though. Just would buffer then just sit there.

Posting right now running live.

Hulu TV running OK.

Code: Select all

# cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/inxi && chmod +x inxi
--2010-05-28 22:27:14--  http://smxi.org/inxi
Resolving smxi.org... 209.197.72.47
Connecting to smxi.org|209.197.72.47|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://inxi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inxi [following]
--2010-05-28 22:27:15--  http://inxi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inxi
Resolving inxi.googlecode.com... 74.125.45.82
Connecting to inxi.googlecode.com|74.125.45.82|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 174039 (170K) [text/plain]
Saving to: `inxi'

100%[======================================>] 174,039      229K/s   in 0.7s    

2010-05-28 22:27:17 (229 KB/s) - `inxi' saved [174039/174039]

# inxi -F
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found in path
System:    Host puppypc Kernel 2.6.33.2 i686 (32 bit) Distro Lucid Puppy Linux
Linux 2.6.33.2 [i686 arch]
CPU:       Dual core (AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+,2199.815,512 KB,fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch,4399.63,amd) (SMP) cache unknown  flags (-) bmips Not Available 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 2199.815 MHz (2) 2199.815 MHz
Graphics:  Card nVidia G71 [GeForce 7900 GS] tty res: 80x24 
Audio:     Card ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver HDA Intel BusID: 00:14.2
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.21
Network:   Card Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI at port dc00 BusID: 02:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: (1320.3GB,2.4% used) () 1: /dev/sda WDC_WD3200AAKS 320.1GB 
           2: /dev/sdb 10EACS_External 1000.2GB 
Partition: ID:swap-1 size: 6.17GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes 83 Uptime 28 min Memory 162.8/2025.3MB Runlevel 5 Client Shell inxi 1.4.9 
# 
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found in path
I get this in all Puppy installs till I install graphics drivers .

Just a quick post on what it boots up on and what I have tried so far. Not a fixer so much as just a poster.

Edit: Went to shutdown. Froze up Desktop. Got out of it with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace then had to do a Cntrl+Alt+Del to shut down.

Béèm

Temperature indicator.

#53 Post by Béèm »

It would be handy to have a temperature indicator in the sys-tray like quirky has.
Time savers:

Béèm

Keyboard selection not retained in xorg.conf

#54 Post by Béèm »

Altho selected in the setup, there was no section for the keyboard in xorg.conf and thus my keyboard was in qwerty.
I took the xorg.conf of lucid 5.01 to be able to work.
Time savers:

playdayz

#55 Post by playdayz »

.Are you aware of KDPUP?

@playdayz,
I would appreciate your comments on this.
Thank you.
I am now Beem. Thank you. Would it be something that could be used in Lucid Puppy? I looked it up now. I was envisioning just running a few KDE apps, such as Amarok and K3b, and KOffice, rather than running the entire KDE--what an accomplishment fro gposil though.
Altho selected in the setup, there was no section for the keyboard in xorg.conf and thus my keyboard was in qwerty.
I took the xorg.conf of lucid 5.01 to be able to work.
Yes Beem. Luci-200 is broken in exactly that way. It is a release posted so that more people can take a shot a trying to figure out why xorgwizard is not able to create a complete xorg.conf file. And yes, writing one in from 5.0.1 will work (which is good because it tells us that when xorgwizard works correctly then we will be in good shape), but we need xorgwizard to be able to do it itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is some really good news. First, the latest Cups-1.4.3-1 is running for me in my copy of luci-200 (last time we had to freeze Cups at an earlier version--so we are already ahead of that). Second, Midori is running in my luci-200 (which is beyond the luci-200 that is posted). And three, the greatest news, Midori is running Cups!!! This means that we are on the way to saving about 15MB on the system/help browser, plus we will have a small, light browser that is very functional--the small "webkitbrowser" might even be customized into a new PuppyBrowser.

One more piece of good news. The KOffice that I made as my first large Puppy project is running in luci-200. I had not tried it until just now. I remember why I liked it--a fresh look plus good functionality-- And I remember things I don't like--such as no compatibility with some MS files. It is an sfs though, and the one posted is still sfs3 and needs an additional library--but we'll give it a try soon.

01micko

#56 Post by 01micko »

I just wonder....

Where is the info about driver, screensize, and all that other stuff that is in xorg.conf in a standard Puppy kept in Luci?

I am just wondering if I can write a script that completes the xorg.conf with the correct info and is executed before X starts on first run. I think that would do it...
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

TomRhymer

Testing...

#57 Post by TomRhymer »

Ran Luci200 on my Aspire One D-150.

Mostly worked, except that PMusic won't play anything. Also, it can't remember my resolution and runs the Xorg check on every reboot.

Jim1911

#58 Post by Jim1911 »

playdayz wrote: I am now Beem. Thank you. Would it be something that could be used in Lucid Puppy? I looked it up now. I was envisioning just running a few KDE apps, such as Amarok and K3b, and KOffice, rather than running the entire KDE--what an accomplishment fro gposil though.
I have a deep respect for the fine job that dejan555 has done with KDE3 on his dpup484 based KDPUP. Although KDE3 is fine for dpup whose debian repositories are always conservatively behind ubuntu. IMHO, it's a step back for Lucid since it already has access to the ubuntu repositories and KDE4. There are several of us that have already had limited success with K3b, and Amarok running using KDE4 dependencies obtained using Lucid's ppm and it will improve. Of course, there is already a KDE3 based Amarok sfs file that works fine that Quickpet links to, and there is no reason why other KDE3 based sfs files (ie. KOffice) won't work right now with Lucid.

EDIT: I have the same problem, noted above with xorg running on reboot every time although I have successfully installed the nvidia 195 driver and created a save file.

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 29 May 2010, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
Favorites: [url=http://lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm]Lighthouse 64[/url] and [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65136]Lucid[/url] + [url=http://www.theword.net/]theWord[/url]

upnorth

#59 Post by upnorth »

@micko
I generated one with Xorg -configure. It places xorg.conf.new in ~/
But I had to add:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection
at the top

and

#PuppyHardwareProfile=ATI_MACH64
at the bottom to keep xorg.conf from being automatically overwritten.

It works when copied to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and persists. But just dickin around on ver 5.0

Also, for some reason in Lupu the "X -config /root/xorg.conf.new" test always fails but x starts normally with xwin after the file is copied as /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The interesting effect is that the ctrl-alt-numpad+ now works at cycling through the available resolutions.

James C

#60 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install w/new save file of Luci-200 on the old P3 test box with Intel 810 graphics.
Xorgwizard/probe set the desired 1024x768x24 resolution out of the box but.........................setting is not retained and must be redone on every reboot.
Installed Firefox and Opera, both work but Firefox doesn't render text correctly .......see screenie. :) Opera seems to work fine, using it now.
MtPaint/screenshot doesn't work either.

More testing......................... :)

James C

#61 Post by James C »

Update: After playing around with the font sizes Firefox now appears to be rendering correctly.

I just love this testing stuff................. :lol:

Update 2:

The mtPaint problem appears to be a missing lib.......# mtpaint
mtpaint: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

Iguleder

#62 Post by Iguleder »

I found a fix for that, I posted it in Barry's blog already.

Code: Select all

ln -s libjpeg.so.62.0.0 /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.7
It's because the package is dated back to the 4.x series, it wants the old libjpeg.

playdayz and micko01: I started messing with Woof and Lupu, as you can see. I'm trying to find all small mismatches and fixes needed for a totally sane Lupu. I think I'll make a fixes PET with all the fixes I find.

I'll try to recompile things like Ayttm, Viewnior and mtPaint for Lupu with updated versions, so we don't have to face those old library problems anymore.

Also, I'm working on some addition to Woof, a stripping and optimization step to 3builddistro, that optimizes all PNG images and all gzip-compressed stuff, plus strips all executables/kernel modules/libraries in a better way, that shaves much more than the traditional one. Should reduce the total size of Lupu. That's good, should improve boot times, image (icon/wallpaper) loading speeds and make us a little bit closer to the mythological 100 MB limit :)

EDIT: tiny request/suggestion - can you convert all graphics (mainly wallpapers) used by Lupu to PNG? Could save some size.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

playdayz

#63 Post by playdayz »

...................setting is not retained and must be redone on every reboot.
TomRhymer, Yes. xwin, which is the script that starts X, has a section now that checks for a complete xorg.conf, and if not then it runs xorgwizard. But because of the problem there is never a complete xorg.conf, so xwin runs xorgwizard every time it starts X. That problem will disappear when we get xorgwizard to write a complete xorg.conf.
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 29 May 2010, 16:00, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#64 Post by playdayz »

@micko
I generated one with Xorg -configure. It places xorg.conf.new in ~/
But I had to add:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection
at the top

and

#PuppyHardwareProfile=ATI_MACH64
at the bottom to keep xorg.conf from being automatically overwritten.

It works when copied to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and persists. But just dickin around on ver 5.0
upnorth, That is good to know that Xorg -configure generates the xorg.conf. The big mystery is still why xorgwizard does not. If we can't get it in a few days, I will try to interest Barry in the problem ;-)
Also, for some reason in Lupu the "X -config /root/xorg.conf.new" test always fails but x starts normally with xwin after the file is copied as /etc/X11/xorg.conf
It is probably the extra test in xwin, you can see it very near the top, that checks if there is a ServerLayout section in order to test for a complete xorg.conf.
just wonder....

Where is the info about driver, screensize, and all that other stuff that is in xorg.conf in a standard Puppy kept in Luci?

I am just wondering if I can write a script that completes the xorg.conf with the correct info and is executed before X starts on first run. I think that would do it...
I am sure you could 01micko, but we would still need for xorgwizard to do what it is supposed to do in order to keep compatibility with Woof.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
The mtPaint problem appears to be a missing lib.......# mtpaint
mtpaint: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
James1911 and Iguleder, Thanks for catching that. Just so you know, this kind of thing will happen because we update the Ubuntu files and they must have updated mtpaint so that it requires the new libjpeg.

PaulBx1

#65 Post by PaulBx1 »

Concerning bugs that don't get fixed. Some bugs just can't be fixed by us--those are built into Xorg, for instance.
That's not the problem. The problem is finding and reporting bugs, and not even being told that it is built into Xorg, or whatever. The problem is never having your bug report acknowledged, never mind fixed. After enough of that, one starts to feel like, "Why bother?" Great way to keep a lot of testers working for ya.

Since I've drifted away from being an involved Puppy tester to just a user lately, I haven't kept up on all the latest talk. But some of the stuff I've read around here just sounds crazy. Why do we have Quickpet? What's wrong with PPM? Do we really need two ways to install the same package? Wouldn't it have been better just to put a help button in PPM? Gnumeric is an excellent spreadsheet. The only way we need OO Calc is the same way Barry made it available, as part of an SFS that you can load once in a blue moon when you absolutely need it, then dump it when you are done. KDE in Puppy? Absolutely insane. :roll:

Heck, when we boot we have the boot cheatcodes, or whatever they are called. I don't think there has ever been so much as a simple list of all the available boot codes, explaining what they do, available where you need it, at boot. Why not? Is this so hard? That's assuming the codes actually work, which they often do not (I've never seen the fsck code work on encrypted pupsaves).

I'm not completely opposed to new features. I proposed putting the main browser in its own SFS file so people can easily pick the browser they want, but that went nowhere. Maybe there are some drawbacks to that that I'm unaware of. And Pizzasgood put together the multiuser Puppy, why not have that (defaulted to single user)? The one thing that Puppy always gets bashed for, in reviews, is not being multiuser, forcing people to run as root. Sure, maybe that complaint is silly, but it's still a major factor stopping wider acceptance of Puppy. One gets tired of defending Puppy on this point in discussions, over and over. And encryption? Why are we still stuck on crappy old cryptoloop? Why never any pets for gpg, or enigmail? (Maybe fixed in lupu, I don't know.) Why no way to encrypt disk partitions? And pupsave backup, it's still a pain in the ass. Even I managed to cook up a way to make it easy, but no one has ever put that into a standard Puppy that I know of.

Lupu addresses the main drawback of all the Puppies since day one: not having a decent repository. If I can get a solid Lupu I will be on board immediately, but if it turns into one of these "bells and whistles" exercises, I will not bother. 4.3.1 still works well enough for me.

Paul, the grump