What is best PCMCIA wireless card for Sony Vaio?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
eatcha

What wireless card should I buy for easiest install.

#1 Post by eatcha »

I'm in the UK, I've got puppy working on the harddrive of an old laptop
P3 500mhz 64 mbs 9GB SONY VAIO
(great job guys ! I've tried zen, DSL, debian (shreaded), - and absolutely love your GUI ! Top marks - its my first post so I should be allowed to rant!) :D

All I want is an easy install for a wireless card... I've read your guides they are all good. In fact I've just watched an install video on how to connect up my wireless card! :arrow:
I want a PCMCIA wireless card (speed no problem) but I do want it to support encrpytion. Does any body have a link to one they have recently bought and just installed about as easy as it comes.... something like this install... :!:

http://rhinoweb.us/howtosetupwireless.htm

Does any body maintain a page with appropriate brand names and or suppliers. Something like this from DABS interested me...

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Qu ... ationKey=0

(hope that link works otherwise the DABS quicklinx is 3X0NWS )

I undersand it is to do with the chipset etc, but if I'm buying a new card I figure I may as well get one that works as easy as possible and as I've seen posted you cant tell from the packaging.

If PCMCIA is no good - I'd settle for a USB - linksys card.

Advice appreciated, by any body who has positive experiences hopefully having a place I can purchase the card from in the UK (practicallities rule - so does the P&P from the states :!: )

happy new year guys - If this post is off topic I'm sure somebody can reposition me. I found this thread through wireless links from other topics so its the best I've seen in a few hours of surf.
-------------------------------
hit hard, run fast, sleep tight.

BlackAdder

#2 Post by BlackAdder »

This page in the wiki shows adapters that people have got working with Puppy. Not all these adapters are currently available from retailers, of course.
Presumably your Viao has a CardBus slot - needed for most wireless PCMCIA cards.

eatcha

Resolution

#3 Post by eatcha »

I ended up geting a Netgear card as shown in the wiki. It worked perfect, 3 clicks in WAG anf I'm online.

woof woof.
hit hard, run fast, sleep tight.