Change spot's privileges

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
s243a

Change spot's privileges

#1 Post by s243a »

How do I change the user privileges of spot? For some reason when I change users to spot I can't see directors. "cd" won't work. "ls" won't show directories. I am using the version of puppylinux called precise.

**Probably non-relavant note:
I have set up precise on other computers and haven't had this problem. I am having the problem on a 64 bit computer. The computers that I ran spot successfully was 32 bits.

s243a

#2 Post by s243a »

I may have fixed the problem. I'll test it tommorow. I noticed by typing "whoami" that "su spot" wasn't changing the user to spot. I saw from this thread:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... ror-either

that the problem may be caused by the etc/passwd file. I compared this file with the original one on the cd and saw the last two lines missing. Furthermore for some reason the last line I had ended with an apostrophy. I deleted the apstrophy and added the missing two lines. I will test it tommorow to see if it is working, since tommorow I'll be back somewhere with wi-fi.

s243a

#3 Post by s243a »

cd is still not working as spot bu "su" seems to change users now.

s243a

#4 Post by s243a »

This is wierd. If I use the -P option then cd works for spot as it should but without the -P option, I'm told the item is not a directory. This makes no sence because I see no symbolic links in the spot directory.