Lighthouse Pup 5.00 G 185M

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

#676 Post by tazoc »

Q5sys wrote:No matter what WM I try it just kicks me back out to the prompt the same was as if I shut down X manually.
Any ideas?
I've tried running xorgwizard and going back through that process but then the system hangs and I have to do a hard reboot. However... all I need to do is load my backup of my save file and it works fine.
If this is with the new kernel maybe try with the one in LHP. Have you tried deleting xorg.conf when running xorgwizard? When X dumps back to CL, type mp /tmp/root/xerrs.log and mp /var/log/Xorg.0.log. There should be a clue in one of those logs, unless kms is stuffing things up.

I've added the fbcon (frame buffer console) kernel modules to the initrd so that I can run CL at 800x600 (vga=788) and I'm going to test it with nouveau kms to see if it is compatible. I read somewhere that kms may require fbcon and I'm thinking maybe? that is why we get a blank screen when booting Intel graphics without kms. If not, and fbcon causes any difficulty, I'll take it out again.
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

nickdobrinich

VNC problems

#677 Post by nickdobrinich »

Has anyone gotten x11vncserver / TightVnc client working on LHP 5G Mariner?
Server seems to come up ok as a service on one machine.
Client immediately aborts on the second without an error message.
Testing on my internal network, no ports blocked.
Also tried RealVNC with same result.

Q5sys

#678 Post by Q5sys »

tazoc wrote:
Q5sys wrote:No matter what WM I try it just kicks me back out to the prompt the same was as if I shut down X manually.
Any ideas?
I've tried running xorgwizard and going back through that process but then the system hangs and I have to do a hard reboot. However... all I need to do is load my backup of my save file and it works fine.
If this is with the new kernel maybe try with the one in LHP. Have you tried deleting xorg.conf when running xorgwizard? When X dumps back to CL, type mp /tmp/root/xerrs.log and mp /var/log/Xorg.0.log. There should be a clue in one of those logs, unless kms is stuffing things up.

I've added the fbcon (frame buffer console) kernel modules to the initrd so that I can run CL at 800x600 (vga=788) and I'm going to test it with nouveau kms to see if it is compatible. I read somewhere that kms may require fbcon and I'm thinking maybe? that is why we get a blank screen when booting Intel graphics without kms. If not, and fbcon causes any difficulty, I'll take it out again.
-TazOC
No my WM/save file issues are with the normal kernel with LHP. Until I redo it with the wireless modules i'm not using the new kernel for anything other than compiling the newest Intel drivers.
I've checked those log files and they dont contain anything. I dont think X is crashing... I just think something is forcing it to close. I just cant seem to figure out what.
I tried deleting the xorg.conf and when I run xorgwizard after I just get a dead black screen...even when manually choosing xvesa in the wizard.
I know its something I'm doing in the save file... I just dont know what. At first I thought it was possibly an error cropping up if I run out of space in the save file and some important file isnt getting written when x shuts down at a reboot... but when it has happened when I've had 50mb free left in my save file... I dont think its that... unless I didnt clear a broswer cache or something before rebooting.
I dont feel its a bug in LHP... just a error in something i'm doing. I'm just hoping to figure out what it is... so I dont have to make new save files occasionaly.
Which actually raises a question. I may have asked this before but I cant remember... if I have let me know. I know you can mount a normal save file (no encrytion) at the CLI with

Code: Select all

mount -o loop savefilenamehere.2fs /mnt/folderyouwant
But do you know how to manually load and mount an encrypted save file from the CLI?
nickdobrinich wrote:Has anyone gotten x11vncserver / TightVnc client working on LHP 5G Mariner?
Server seems to come up ok as a service on one machine.
Client immediately aborts on the second without an error message.
Testing on my internal network, no ports blocked.
Also tried RealVNC with same result.
I never had a problem in 5F Mariner... but I cant comment to G. If you have wireshark on your system you can try loading it and capturing the packets to see if there is something network wise thats not causing it to connect. If that fails you could try to strace the viewer and posting the log here, and someone can see if they can figure it out. run the following from the command line.

strace -o viewer.log vncviewer
(replace vncviewer with whatever the actual command is to load the client program... i dont recall off the top of my head)
Then gzip the log that it creates and upload it here for someone to take a peek at.

tazoc

#679 Post by tazoc »

Q5sys wrote:I dont think X is crashing... I just think something is forcing it to close. I just cant seem to figure out what.
I tried deleting the xorg.conf and when I run xorgwizard after I just get a dead black screen...even when manually choosing xvesa in the wizard.
I know its something I'm doing in the save file... I just dont know what.
If you have these files in /etc/modprobe.d/

i915.conf
nouveau.conf
radeon.conf
remove them. You can run sys-info from CL and post /tmp/root/sys-info-110107.gz. If not G also cat /proc/cmdline is helpful. The other idea I have is to try pfix=clean to simulate a version upgrade.
But do you know how to manually load and mount an encrypted save file from the CLI?
I haven't tried that but reading the init script I see that

modprobe cryptoloop #note, cryptoloop does not work with jounalled fs, hence have to use ext2 only
is used for basic encryption and

modprobe cryptoloop
modprobe aes_generic
modprobe aes  #for older kernel <2.6.25
modprobe crypto_blkcipher #v407 blkcipher name change.
modprobe blkcipher  #old kernel.
modprobe cbc
for aes encryption. The commands used to mount in the init (adjusted for manual usage) are

losetup -E 1 /dev/loop2 <encrypted.2fs>
e2fsck -y -f /dev/loop2
resize2fs -pf /dev/loop2
mount -t ext2 -o noatime,rw /dev/loop2 /mnt/data
and for aes:

echo "$MYPASS" | losetup -p 0 -e aes /dev/loop2 <encrypted.2fs>
e2fsck -y -f /dev/loop2
resize2fs -pf /dev/loop2
mount -t ext2 -o noatime,rw /dev/loop2 /mnt/data
-TazOC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Brown Mouse

#680 Post by Brown Mouse »

I cant seem to get the default email client to work.When clicking on the desktop icon nothing happens.

tazoc

#681 Post by tazoc »

Hi Brown Mouse,
Apparently /usr/local/bin/defaultemail is missing or contains an e-mail client that will not open or has been uninstalled. To workaround, click Menu | Setup | Choose Default E-mail Client. If that does not work, please paste this into a terminal window:

cat ~/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin | grep -i 'mail'
ls -l /usr/local/bin/defaultemail
if [ -x /usr/local/bin/defaultemail ]; then 
 cat /usr/local/bin/defaultemail
else
 [ -f /usr/local/bin/defaultemail ] && chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/defaultemail
fi 
which choose-email
choose-email
and post the output here.
Thanks,
TazOC

its-me-again

#682 Post by its-me-again »

ICPUG wrote:I'm back after my delayed Christmas break, during which I was away from my PC so had little time to do any Puppy work.

One thing I did do was look at the Radky's Puppy Control Panel and PupApps tools.

The control panel seemed to work fine. I need to test the flsynclient .pet and try integrating that as well.

The PupApps panel worked fine but I have a comment regarding the programs shown in the categories. All except Business are OK - although I am not sure of the need for a separate Documents Category.

I think the Business category should include:
Abiword (and/or Open Office Write if Mariner is installed)
Gnumeric (and/or Open Office Calc if Mariner is installed)
Impress (if Mariner is installed)
PDF Reader

Consideration should be given to the following (which I have copied from the Asus EEE):
E-Mail Program
File Manager
Notes
An assessories section under Business has a calculator, a PIM and screen capture. Not sure about the latter for Business but the first two are relevant.

Although this a personal taste I do find the omission of a spreadsheet app from any category is not acceptable. In business, particularly, these are used a lot. Even in home use a spreadsheet is good for a simple database.

Despite my comments, these are great little apps.

well this is great but what windowmanager de are you mentioning is it jwm, icewm, xfce.sfs, kde.sfs orthe others you can use in lighthouse.

Jim1911

#683 Post by Jim1911 »

Take a look at radky's great little applications. He has updated PupApps, PupControl, and PupSnap to version 1.2 which now has better support for Lighthouse, of course they provide menu-like access to most Puppy programs. One great feature is that they work together, for example if you open PupControl, then all of the other programs may be accessed from there.
Last edited by Jim1911 on Sat 15 Jan 2011, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#684 Post by nooby »

I'm writing from within LHP-501 now the G version.

Lucky for me it accepted my LAN ethernet out of the box

But it fails to boot at times.

Which menu.lst code should I use to have the greatest chance of getting reliable boots. it fails to boot and succeed to boot unpredictably. When it fails it stop on first line where it do the dots and then should write done but never get to done.

I use this code now.

title lhp-501 With Wine
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /lhp-501/initrd.gz
kernel /lhp-501/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd psubdir=lhp-501 i915.modeset=1 processor.max_cstate=1 pfix=fsck debug
initrd /lhp-501/initrd.gz

Should I add debug maybe and does it help to add rootdelay=8 and where should that one be on the kernel line to be most effective?

Like almost every puppy I have tried out on the Acer D250 it says it is okay with 1024x768 but then chose 1024x600 instead.

How can I force it to use 1024x768 ?

Apart from that it sure look fabulous.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

tazoc

#685 Post by tazoc »

nooby wrote:I'm writing from within LHP-501 now the G version.

Lucky for me it accepted my LAN ethernet and it could do 1024x768 which only two other puppies manage Fluppy and Snow Puppy.

But it fails to boot at times.

Which menu.lst code should I use to have the greatest chance of getting reliable boots.

Should I add debug maybe and does it help to add rootdelay=8 and where should that one be on the kernel line to be most effective?
Hi Nooby,
Anywhere on the kernel line works, as long as options are space-delimited. Later repeated options override earlier.

Have you tried with pmedia=usbflash or w/o processor.max_cstate=1 or with pmedia=atahd?

I would experiment with pfix=ram,fsck loglevel=5 until boots are reliable, (with GRUB, select an entry, press 'e' to edit, press Enter, 'b' to boot; changes made this way are not persistent) then update your GRUB entry. I read on the Luci thread that you have the boot problems with it also. I'm using this GRUB entry (on ATI video):

title Lighthouse Pup 5.01G (frugal on sda8)
root (hd0,7)
kernel /lhp501/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda8 psubdir=lhp501 loglevel=3 xforcevesa nomodeset pfix=fsck
initrd /lhp501/initrd.gz501
If you're using flash media, try another one to rule out bad media or try another hard drive.
And a minor thing. Yes I am very bad at using English but I would prefer to read everything in English but that the keyboard is Swedish.

Is that possible to change to? How ?
Set the country code to en_US with chooselocale, but the keyboard to se, like this:

title lhp-501 With Wine
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /lhp-501/initrd.gz
kernel /lhp-501/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd psubdir=lhp-501 loglevel=3 i915.modeset=1 rootdelay=8 processor.max_cstate=1 pfix=fsck pkeys=se
initrd /lhp-501/initrd.gz 
-TazOC

ICPUG

#686 Post by ICPUG »

its-me-again wrote:
ICPUG wrote:I'm back after my delayed Christmas break, during which I was away from my PC so had little time to do any Puppy work.

One thing I did do was look at the Radky's Puppy Control Panel and PupApps tools.

Despite my comments, these are great little apps.

well this is great but what windowmanager de are you mentioning is it jwm, icewm, xfce.sfs, kde.sfs orthe others you can use in lighthouse.
Well, since you ask, it was the default when Lighthouse boots up - jwm.

As my comments related to the contents of the app menus they would apply to all window managers wouldn't they?

nickdobrinich

Puppy Apps on IceWM

#687 Post by nickdobrinich »

Yes, I am able to run all the Puppy Apps on LHP 5.01G Mariner using the IceWM without any problems.

tazoc

New thread for Lighthouse Pup 5.02

#688 Post by tazoc »

** New release thread here **

Highlights include

* PupControl, a full-featured control panel specifically designed for Puppy-based derivatives like Lighthouse.

* SFS copy2ram at first or any boot, with a brief prompt for full SFS selection and configuration early in the boot process, prior to mounting the layered file system.
-TazOC