Puppy Saved My Windows XP Laptop Install

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
tex

Puppy Saved My Windows XP Laptop Install

#1 Post by tex »

I have been trying Linux Live cds for a couple of years, especially Puppy Linux. I am pretty much a windows user though, since I have only been using computers since 1998. I have really enjoyed using the live cds...it seems like such a miracle that an OS can be put on a cd, flash card, usb drive, ect...

Yesterday I really had a scare after installing a trialware partitioning and boot managing software on my windows xp notebook. It seems the software was out of date and the trial period was expired. I was able to use it to fix a mmc that I intended to put Puppy Linux on. After shutting down the system, I received a surprise when booting up again. The software had locked my hard drive so I couldn't boot c: drive no matter what I did. A message would flash on my screen stating that the Partitioning Manager Software was out of date! I was really bent out of shape for a while and then remembered someone saying you could use Linux to fix windows. Puppy to the rescue! I booted up the cd rom which was not locked and voila I could mount the hd and see windows even with ntfs. I copied the program file of the offending program to a usb flash drive using Puppy Linux Live and was able to view the files on another windows xp machine. From there I found a rescue tool that unlocked their program. After making a floppy and running it on the locked laptop, I finally saw windows again! Puppy "Rocks" as the kids say...
My thanks for saving me alot of recovery work!!!!!
tex :D