Fluppy 013

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jemimah

#1276 Post by jemimah »

edoc wrote:Not to rush you, I can't imagine how you keep the pace that you do, but just wondering when Fluppy 11 is due ... approximately.

I need to plan my time to update the 7 computers that I manage.
Within the next couple of days I guess.

dawnsboy

No USB on Acer Aspire

#1277 Post by dawnsboy »

I recently purchased a new Acer Aspire One D255 netbook with Windows XP Home pre-installed. It features the Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, with webcam, GMA 3150 video adapter. The Windows XP was already optimized for the environment and runs pretty well. So naturally I wanted to put Fluppy on it.

I defragged the hard drive and used gparted to shrink it. I created a new partition at the end of the drive and formatted it for use with Linux. I initially setup the install with Lucid 5.1 as this is the only version of Puppy that will boot from the external (usb) cd. I manually installed Fluppy 010 afterwards.

Fluppy boots just fine. All of the initial setup options were already reflected in the initial boot dialogue. The desktop and selection of applications found in the menu (I scrolled through the menu using the windows key and the arrow keys) look good.

Here is the problem. Fluppy does not detect my external usb mouse, the touchpad, the webcam or any item that I may plug into a usb port such as the cd drive or usb flash drive. I noticed that essentially the same issue exists in Lucid 5.2.

Is there anything I can do about this problem?

shinobar

firstrun-1.7

#1278 Post by shinobar »

ANNOUNCE: Updated firstrun-1.7
/usr/sbin/countrywizard.qs
Fix change_xrandr was crash with multiple monitors
It does not support 'qc'(Quebec). You can add the entry in the /usr/share/i18n/keymaps as jemimah found.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58312
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

magerlab

#1279 Post by magerlab »

i'd like to if new fluppy goes too far from 10 version:)

on eee pc 701 i used puppeee upgrade with the same savefile
and it worked ok

new osd and gtk(?) notifications are looking good

jemimah

Re: No USB on Acer Aspire

#1280 Post by jemimah »

dawnsboy wrote:I recently purchased a new Acer Aspire One D255 netbook with Windows XP Home pre-installed. It features the Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, with webcam, GMA 3150 video adapter. The Windows XP was already optimized for the environment and runs pretty well. So naturally I wanted to put Fluppy on it.

I defragged the hard drive and used gparted to shrink it. I created a new partition at the end of the drive and formatted it for use with Linux. I initially setup the install with Lucid 5.1 as this is the only version of Puppy that will boot from the external (usb) cd. I manually installed Fluppy 010 afterwards.

Fluppy boots just fine. All of the initial setup options were already reflected in the initial boot dialogue. The desktop and selection of applications found in the menu (I scrolled through the menu using the windows key and the arrow keys) look good.

Here is the problem. Fluppy does not detect my external usb mouse, the touchpad, the webcam or any item that I may plug into a usb port such as the cd drive or usb flash drive. I noticed that essentially the same issue exists in Lucid 5.2.

Is there anything I can do about this problem?
I think it's maybe usb3.0. I'll poke around in the kernel and see if that's something I can just turn on.

Edit: Yeah it is. Hopefully Fluppy011 will work then. :)
Last edited by jemimah on Sun 09 Jan 2011, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#1281 Post by jemimah »

magerlab wrote:i'd like to if new fluppy goes too far from 10 version:)

on eee pc 701 i used puppeee upgrade with the same savefile
and it worked ok

new osd and gtk(?) notifications are looking good
I think it should be ok. Make backups as always.

dawnsboy

Re: No USB on Acer Aspire

#1282 Post by dawnsboy »

Jemimah wrote:
I think it's maybe usb3.0. I'll poke around in the kernel and see if that's something I can just turn on.

Edit: Yeah it is. Hopefully Fluppy011 will work then. Smile
Yeah is right. :D

I will test Fluppy011 as soon as it is available.

Thank you very much Jemimah.

nooby

#1283 Post by nooby »

dawnsboy, I ahve both same machine as you have but also the older? D250 and I use Fluppy 8, 9, amd 10 on that one with usb mouse and I write from it now.

But the D255 are much more "touchy" and nervous? but as I remember it did actually accept to use usv mouse. I tested two different makes on it.

Dell and Labtec.

Do you have them attached when you boot up?

Ooops I do frugal boot and you have a full install. Maybe Jemimah knows if that change how it respond to hardware during the script or BIOS doing post? Late at night here so I go silent. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

dawnsboy

#1284 Post by dawnsboy »

Actually I did a frugal install. The mouse was the least of my worries as the touchpad, webcam and usb ports do not work with Fluppy010. I was able to test touchpad and external mouse simply by attempting to use them. Flash drives plugged into usb ports were not detected. I checked the webcam by pressing the windows key which caused the icewm menu to popup. From there I used the arrow keys to start the webcam application. It reported an error and could not find the webcam.

nooby

#1285 Post by nooby »

dawnsboy , we have to ask Jemimah about it. I know too little.

maxpro4u

#1286 Post by maxpro4u »

I just tried to do a full install from a remastered fluppy10 CD. The cd boots fine and runs well but when I tried to install it- upon reboot the boot stalls with "sh-3.00". Does anyone know what that means?
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

jemimah

#1287 Post by jemimah »

What type of install is it? How far did it get before hanging?

maxpro4u

#1288 Post by maxpro4u »

jemimah wrote:What type of install is it? How far did it get before hanging?
Full install-it stalled right at the beginning with "sh-3.00". I already deleted the full install and did a manual frugal install and am using it now to post with but I can try another full install. I did a full install the other day using the regular fluppy10 cd and it worked fine.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

nooby

#1289 Post by nooby »

on one old HP/Compaq I had both full install and frugal install and that way I could boot into the frugal to ask things and then go back to the full and test out the suggestions forum members had.

Take very little space to have a say 1GB of frugal install? :)

nooby

#1290 Post by nooby »

edoc wrote:
nooby wrote:You only need a new partition for Fluppy if you have to do Full install.

I use Fluppy on a netbook with three partitions that the manufactor Acer out there all in NTFS and the Sda3 or (hd0,2) is the one I use for many frugal installs.

I made use of Shinobar's describtion on how to use grub4dosconfig to get a dual boot going.
How did you create the third partition?

I cannot get gparted to show the two NTFS MS partitions so I cannot move things around.
Sorry I noticed your question today.

I trust the Acer or OME did it unless Jolicloud wubi install did it? I do have only two partitions on my Acer D255 which I bout as a reserve computer but never use due the fan very noisy.

The d250 supersilent :)

I never do partitions other than on USB. One can not do MS win7 recovery iof one do a partition on it.

technosaurus

#1291 Post by technosaurus »

nooby wrote:I never do partitions other than on USB. One can not do MS win7 recovery iof one do a partition on it.
It does come with its own tool to resize the partition (but yeah don't use gparted - various versions have a bad ntfs bug ... lost a lot of stuff that way last year)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jemimah

#1292 Post by jemimah »

Here it is: Fluppy011. I solved the sound problem, so we now have kernel 2.6.35.7 hopefully with usb3.0 support, the latest brcm80211 from git, wl (blacklisted), rtl8180se, keucr, acer-hdf, ndiswrapper, and tkusb.

• add: gadmin-sshd eina fbxkb slimp pfont xpupsay spek glista amsynth vkeydb sudoku xournal thoggen linphone sven xosd midori-plugins ease defaults-chooser mime-editor

update: viewnior uget parted gparted gsmartcontrol unique firstrun pburn lxterminal claws pidgin notifications firstrun pupsaveconfig midori remmina frisbee

remove: pupradio(most of the presets didn't really work well with gstreamer) pureftpd pcurl xbindkeys pdf-cube deadbeef petmaker-plus wavebreaker

edoc

#1293 Post by edoc »

Congratulations on Fluppy 011!

I tried to download both the ISO and the ZIP and both are terminating the download way too early to be complete.

Is the server getting slammed and compensating badly?

EDIT: It seems to be working OK from dpup, the problem before was from Fluppy 010.
Last edited by edoc on Tue 11 Jan 2011, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

#1294 Post by jemimah »

dawnsboy

Acer Aspire One D255-2301

#1295 Post by dawnsboy »

@ Jemimah

You were right. The issue with Fluppy 010 and my Acer Aspire One D255-2301 was USB 3.0. I am posting from Fluppy 011. External mouse, webcam, external usb drives, etc all work very well. Frisbee executed wireless networking flawlessly.

I must say that this has been a very smooth experience thus far. I will do more testing and report any issues (should there be any). This is the perfect OS for this little Aspire One. Thank you very much.

:D