desktop goes black

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

desktop goes black

#1 Post by nubc »

Lately I have been experiencing anomalous behavior, using Wary 5.1.1 full install. When computer is turned on cold, the hard drive isn't detected on first boot. Hit reset to restart, hdd is detected, and computer boots normally. Re-seated IDE connectors for this issue. After computer is on for 5 minutes, the desktop suddenly goes black except for the task bar. I try to restart X from the Start button, but nothing happens, same for Reboot and Shut down. Ctrl + Alt+ Delete will not crash Wary to command prompt. The system is frozen and inoperable (despite the fact that Start Menu is accessible), have to hit front Reset button, and go through file check to recover Wary. Desktop goes black twice, then things seem to stabilize. This issue may be brought on by USB connected external hard drive. Not sure why the USB-connected hard drive would cause desktop to go black (except for task bar). Generally, why would desktop go black?

Asus mobo
Athlon 1800
786 MB ddr ram
160 GB hdd

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Usually it is about drivers as I remember.

but what if this is the clue to your problems?
This issue may be brought on by USB connected external hard drive. Not sure why the USB-connected hard drive would cause desktop to go black (except for task bar). Generally, why would desktop go black?
Barry has added time to allow for slow USB flash to boot while you have a HDD so them should be more fast but still maybe the spinning has to reach some stabilizing speed and then the hdd open up for access?

So somebody has to tell you or you have to search for that command that add time for to find the puppy files.

But to me it looks more like something about the driver for the graphics or what do you mean by black? is there no prompt or any things indicating that it has booted to a waithing and giving an error.

could it be a kernel panic that is black.

Maybe you need acpi=off or something like that? I guess too much.
Hopefully somebody recognize exactly what you talk about and give a good suggestion.

I would boot again and hit e as in edit that allow you to look through what it says on the kernel line. look at my example.
kernel /luci-529/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=luci-529

so yours should instead have pmedia=USBhd pdev1=sdc1
or similar there. But others can help you better.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

oops I had hoped more people would help you?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though