password problem

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
harry100

password problem

#1 Post by harry100 »

Hello
i have burned the live cd and it works a treat. However if i tryto use it on another computer it boots up ok until it is ready to go to graphical then it askes for user name and password. It is the same on any other computer all have plenty of memory 512. When i put the disk in the machine that created it no username or passwoed comes up,i did not insert any user name or password other than in the hide botton but that pasword does not work if in another computer , Any ideas
I think that what it does is a good idea so that no one could use the cd but i dont know how it has came about
Harry

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Is it a multisession Puppy? The regular Puppy live CD isn't supposed to require a password, but this problem crops up a lot nevertheless. As far as I know the only proven cause is a corrupted pup001 file somewhere in the computer, which Puppy finds when it boots because it looks for a pup001 file at boot unless you tell it not to. What happens if you try to boot with option 4 (not to look for pup001 file) at the boot prompt?

Also, how much RAM have you?

teecee

#3 Post by teecee »

i have threads on here regarding the password prompt too.....
my version, im running a laptop with NO HARD DRIVE, due to hd failure, so there isnt a pup file for mine to look for...and like i said, it runs beautifully for a week or more than it does this u/p crap....

besides, why cant someone just say what the username password combo is??

dvw86

#4 Post by dvw86 »

teecee wrote: besides, why cant someone just say what the username password combo is??
There is no username and password combo. The user is "root" and in Puppy there is no password set for root.

teecee

#5 Post by teecee »

dvw86 wrote:
teecee wrote: besides, why cant someone just say what the username password combo is??
There is no username and password combo. The user is "root" and in Puppy there is no password set for root.
i have tried

dvw86

#6 Post by dvw86 »

[quote="teecee"]
i have tried

#7 Post by Guest »

[quote="dvw86"][quote="teecee"]
i have tried

dvw86

#8 Post by dvw86 »

I would say that the pup file on the CD has problems. I don't use the multisession CD since I boot from HD, but the first things I would check is to see if the CD or the pup file are full. You may have also had a bad burn the last time you saved the information to the CD.

teecee

#9 Post by teecee »

dvw86 wrote:I would say that the pup file on the CD has problems. I don't use the multisession CD since I boot from HD, but the first things I would check is to see if the CD or the pup file are full. You may have also had a bad burn the last time you saved the information to the CD.
i have burned this cd at least seven times, downloaded from two differing sites, and have the same problem. how can a bad pup file work beautifully, then all the sudden not, and prompt for a u/p???

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

If you boot a regular Puppy live (not multisession) CD, then put the bad multisession CD in the drive and mount it, can you access all its files and directories?

teecee

#11 Post by teecee »

Flash wrote:If you boot a regular Puppy live (not multisession) CD, then put the bad multisession CD in the drive and mount it, can you access all its files and directories?
yes, i have done that before. i see all the files.