5 Reasons Not to use Linux!

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
ezeze5000

5 Reasons Not to use Linux!

#1 Post by ezeze5000 »

I found this in the DSL forum.
And thought there might be an interest in it.

Posted: Aug. 30 2005,16:31 QUOTE
I love Linux. I use it on my servers, I use it on my desktops, and I use it on my entertainment center, where it powers my HDTV TiVo and my D-Link DSM-320 media player, which turns my network into a media library with terabytes of storage. Heck, I even run Linux on my Linksys WRT54G Wi-Fi access points, which hook the whole shebang together.

But, Linux isn't for everyone. Seriously. Here are my top five reasons why you shouldn't move to Linux . . .

Reason number one: Linux is too complicated

Even with the KDE and GNOME graphical windowing interfaces, it's possible -- not likely, but possible -- that you'll need to use a command line now and again, or edit a configuration file.

Compare that with Windows where, it's possible -- not likely, but possible -- that you'll need to use a command line now and again, or edit the Windows registry, where, as they like to tell you, one wrong move could destroy your system forever.

Reason number two: Linux is a pain to set up

It's true. After all, with modern Linuxes like Xandros Desktop or SimplyMEPIS, you need to put in a CD or DVD, press the enter button, give your computer a name, and enter a password for the administrator account.

Gosh, that's hard.

On the other hand, with Windows, all you have to do is put in a CD or DVD, do all the above, and then immediately download all the available patches. After all, Symantec has found that an unpatched Windows PC connected to the Internet will last only a few hours before being compromised.

Unpatched Linux systems? Oh, they last months, but what's the fun of that?

Reason number three: Linux doesn't have enough applications

Really now. I mean, most Linux systems only come with secure Web browsers, like Firefox; e-mail clients, like Evolution; IM clients, like GAIM; office suites, like OpenOffice.org 2.0; Web page editors, like Nvu; and on, and on, and...

Microsoft, on the other hand, gives you Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, the most popular Web browser and e-mail client around -- even though they do have a few little, teeny-weeny problems. Of course, Windows also has an IM-client, Windows Messenger, which, come to think of it, has also had some problems.

And, Microsoft also has Microsoft Office, which -- oh wait, you don't get that with the operating system, do you? You also don't get a Web page editor either, do you?

Well, still, with Windows you get so many more choices of software, don't you? Like Lotus 1-2... oh really? I didn't know that. Or, WordPerfect... oh, pretty much too.

Still, so long as you want to run Microsoft programs at Microsoft prices, Windows is the operating system for you!

Reason number 4: Linux isn't secure

If Microsoft says so, it has to be true! So what, if you can scarcely go a week without reading about yet another major Windows security problem in our sister publication, eWEEK.com's security section! Who would you rather believe -- Microsoft, or your own eyes?

Reason number 5: Linux is more expensive

Are you calling Microsoft a liar? Those Linux companies, like Red Hat or Novell/SUSE charge you a fee for support. Others, like Linspire sell you the product. How dare they, when you can download free, fully-functional versions of almost all the Linux distributions.

Your computer, on the other hand, almost certainly came with Windows pre-installed! For free!

Oh wait, it's not free? Windows' actually makes up a large percentage of your PC's price?

Hmmm. Well, still, it's already on there, and it has everything you need.

Right? Of course, right!

Except, of course, you might still want to buy an anti-viral program (Norton Anti-Virus: $40), anti-spyware software (McAfee Anti-Spyware: $25); and a full-featured firewall (Zone Alarm Pro: $35). But, hey, who needs those when you have a secure operating system like Windows!

And so...

When you really think about it, you can see why there are lots of reasons not to use Linux.

There just aren't any good ones.

--Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8124627492.html

--------------
2.0 Ghz
40 GB HDD
40 GB HDD
DVD+RW
CD-RW
Nvidia Geforce 2 MX 400

Fedora Core 3
DSL
Palm OS 5
Windows XP

gliezl

Re: 5 Reasons Not to use Linux!

#2 Post by gliezl »

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols wrote: Linux isn't for everyone.
Yes I agree. The Few. The Proud. :roll:
[color=blue][i]"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it."
~Margaret Fuller[/i][/color]

raffy

It IS community

#3 Post by raffy »

Linux is community - you just can't criticize it and do nothing. You can criticize it but at the same time DO something about what you're complaining about. I guess many people miss this distinction between proprietary and community software. Well, if you're not a techie, at least try to support Linux by asking how you can...

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

One thing that bugs me is when people complain about something that's free. "Boo hoo, I have to actually think to use the os that I got for no fee! Wah!"

Would you rather think, or pay $100 so someone else can think for you and charge you to do anything?

What I find strange, though, is that in this case, you don't get what you pay for. You can fork over a hundred bucks for a piece of garbage os, or you can download an exceptional os for free. And just because you can't pay an MS employee to help you fix it doesn't mean it's hard to get support. Since it's open source, everyone can analyse it and understand how to fix it, so you can get good help for free.

Another thing is that Linux tends to stay more up-to-date than Windows. Look how old XP is! Sure, you can download endless patches, but they don't really add much for functionality. Whereas Puppy is updated every month or two. If you want, you can always be cutting edge. If you don't want to be bothered to upgrade, you don't have to, and boxes won't pop up threatening you with viruses if you don't.

Linux also doesn't force you to run a piece of garbage program that makes you vulnerable just to upgrade it. One of the main reasons my Windows 98SE install isn't up to date is that I refuse to touch IE. The other is that I just don't care any more. Puppy satisfies my every need except some of my Windows-only games. A few do run in wine, though. And I don't really have time for them anyway. When I do have time, I'd rather play on my DS or GameCube than my pc. They run better, look better, and interface better. And, in the case of the DS, I can play on the couch or bus rather than the computer chair. And I don't have to share it. And I don't have to run Windows.

Think of how awesome Puppy would be if Barry were as rich as Gates. Unlike MS, I have a feeling he would use the money to better the OS rather than forcing people to use it.

What is better? Users forced to use the os, who will always feel victimized and opressed, or users who voluntarily use the os, and feel they get the better end of the deal? If MS had a decent os, I might actually use it. Instead, I use Linux because it's just plain better, and it's free. Two pluses to Windows' two minuses (expense and lack of control). Hard choice. :roll:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

EarlSmith

#5 Post by EarlSmith »

Pizzasgood, this is an interesting observation!
Think of how awesome Puppy would be if Barry were as rich as Gates. Unlike MS, I have a feeling he would use the money to better the OS rather than forcing people to use it.
I have nothing against profit, but the best things are the best because usually one person has a vision and a love for that vision. Barry is one of those people I think. Gates was always about money even in the early days. If you developed a perfect operating system, you would never be able to sell the next version that allways promised to be even better. It is just amazing what one person can do when he loves what he does.

Sage

#6 Post by Sage »

I, on the other hand, have everything against profit. It demeans the race. Death to all capitalists! Come the revolution.............

PS. Barry: we are putting you up for a gong.

Reds

Always look under the bed

#7 Post by Reds »

Please note any spelling mistakes in this post are deliberate

Sage, you are obviously a person who knows his onions. Can you enlighten those of us who may be interested. When is the revolution coming. Will it be a red, pink, white or blue revolution. Where will it start, and by whom. Those of us who wish to commit to it, will it be well paid. Will we get health care, superannuation, and holidays thrown in.
Free education for our children. My Mum likes a drop of whisky, would she be able to get that free on her pension card. I wouldn't mind a house near the beach. As a member of the revolution, would I get first pick. If I don't like the neighbours would I be able to have them removed and sent to a camp.
Hey what about a Mercedes, that would suit me also (luxury version of course).
Those people who can't spell, would they be eligible to join the revolution.
Oh if you become our leader Sage, what shall we call you, Sir Sage, Lord Sage, Pie in the sky Sage, Head in the clouds Sage or just God.

Maybe you could give a run down on the coming Revolution in the Completely Off-topic conversations section of the forum.
Looking forward to hearing from you and your spellchecker.

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Without profit, what incentive have I to do anything? Sure, I'll do stuff out of the goodness of my heart, but I'm in the minority. Most people I know wouldn't do squat unless they were paid or someone put a gun to their head.

My problem isn't with MS making money, but with where they put that money. Why spend to make us use Windows, when they could spend to make Windows better, and we'd use it voluntarily.

Spending to force me to do something is a losing battle, especially when I can get a better product for free. On the other hand, they have the resources to make an incredible OS, one that's worth the money to use. But they don't see that.

Since they can't compete on terms of price with Linux, they should focus on quality. They have billions of dollars, but currently are outdone by a bunch of (pardon the expression) geeks living on cold pizza and ramen noodles. They could make something so much better than linux that only those with strong emotional connections or empty wallets would continue with tux. The rest of us would go for the better product.

Sure, I can go eat the free samples at the grocery store, but why bother when I can pay for a full meal? Except, how it is today, I get the meal free and pay for the samples. That's whacked, if you ask me. If MS doesn't see that soon, somebody else will, and MS will miss out. And I won't feel sorry for them, because they will have lost due to their own stupidity.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

utopia

#9 Post by utopia »

Come the revolution...... not another one, however we await the manifesto from the profoundly wise man. :shock:

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

Guessing, does all the feedback emanate from the same continent?! Once we liberate the world, we plan to offer 'free' humour transplants for the less fortunate on the NHS; sarcasm and cynicism will be extras charged out at cost.
In a recent survey, the Spanish were considered to laugh least. For centuries, they didn't have much to laugh about, but now that the Brits and Germans have overrun their southern coastal strip things are changing; we plan to convert all their hotels into Fawlty Towers franchises.

Reds

Let the good times roll

#11 Post by Reds »

Sage
I like what you say, it is a "Back to the future "Blast from the past", warms the heart of this old Red.
M & E would be proud of you. Mum is still a little worried about getting her whisky (preferably Red Label) subsidised.
I tiny little thought from my tiny brain comes to mind. I have the odd feeling that most of what you propose (less the Fawlty Towers bit), I have heard before in an episode of "The Goon Show" (ah fond memories of SM, PS, HS and co). The Goon Show would be an excellent title for your manifesto, not sure about copyright, but once in power you could soon fix that.
I suggest one part of your manifesto is already set in place, namely all the hotels have been Fawlty Towers franchises for donkeys years.

Give the Poms an hotel and boy it's 5 stars down to 1 star in the blink of a fish and chip wrapper.

Sage

#12 Post by Sage »

Yes indeed, Mr Reds, mother can rest assured that my NHS will provide all the comforts to which retired Empire builders have become accostomed. We might even manage Black Label if we raise taxation a tad.
I can further reassure you that our new society will outlaw all copyright; everyone works for the State. The State giveth and the State taketh, render unto Caeser and all that jazz. As for WG, his honorary gong will be rescinded and his nasty marketing practices will attract capital restitution. His , err, assests will be seized and he will be suspended by them from Tower Bridge. Don't even mention GWB, (but we plan to resurrect an interesting game that used to be played by the Mayans with human crania).
Since most hotels have already been relegated to 1*, I plan to give them more realistic ratings i.e. 'Listed'.
Hope this allays some of your hesitancy. You will like our new civilisation. That's not a wish, more a command.

edoc

#13 Post by edoc »

Sage wrote:Hope this allays some of your hesitancy. You will like our new civilisation. That's not a wish, more a command.
The Who "Won't Get Fooled Again" (Lyrics)

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

The change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they are flown in the next war

Just like yesterday
No, no!

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
Though I know that the hypnotized never lie

Do ya

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

There's nothing in the streets
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
Don't get fooled again
No, no!

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Reds

People say...

#14 Post by Reds »

edoc
If the comrades could only sing those lyrics to the tune of "The Red Flag", the revolution would be assured, must check it out with our leader comrade Sage, if he can be dragged away from his dictionary.
By the way edoc, there is I believe a position to be filled on the revolutionary council for an "Artistic Director of the Bullshit", would you like to apply for the job.

So its goodbye from me and its goodbye from him, and Bolshoi to you to.

Re: 5 Reasons Not to use Linux!

#15 Post by Guest »

gliezl wrote:
Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols wrote: Linux isn't for everyone.
Yes I agree. The Few. The Proud. :roll:
Jarheads?