What is Mariner and what does it have to do with Lighthouse?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

What is Mariner and what does it have to do with Lighthouse?

#1 Post by gcmartin »

I have read http://www.lhpup.org/tips-lhp.htm#requirements

Thruout this and other information webpages, I see references to Mariner.ISO or Mariner.
  1. What is Mariner?
    Why should I care?
    Is it required for anything I want to do with Lighthouse?
Lastly, should Mariner "mentions" be removed for clarity or should there be a definition added on that webpage for clarity?

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

As described on the Lighthouse site: The Mariner sfs has

All this in one file:

* Firefox 3.6, Java 1.6u17, Thunderbird Email, Sunbird Calendar, Vuze 4.3
* XINE, GQView, GKrellM System Monitor, TestDisk, PhotoRec, Truecrypt on-the-fly encryption, Xarchiver

* ATI Catalyst 9.9 display drivers included. Broken Catalyst 9.3 not included, available here (freezes in OpenGL)
* nVidia display drivers included, (alternative pets available here)

* Alternative Xorg/xserver 1.6.3/Intel pets not included, available here (experimental)

Admitted, yes, it needs a better description. However, it is a necessary addon if you want to run KDE and some of the other desktops since it is designed to work with the LH base. I find many of the applications nice to have and especially enjoy the nVidia drivers.

You may want to post your concerns on the Lighthouse thread.

Lighthouse is one of the finest Pup derivatives available.

omskates

#3 Post by omskates »

Such a versatile puplet; load just the base file and run ultra light with JWM and Wbar. Load the additional sfs files to your liking all the way to a KDE desktop with compiz effects. I've had a hard time as an end user understanding the benefits of frugal install with sfs files but now I see the stability factors & ease of upgrading.
Cheers

zaivala

#4 Post by zaivala »

is anyone reverse engineering this pup so we can go forward? It's just about perfect but we've lost the main developer

gcmartin

@TaZoC will also be missed.

#5 Post by gcmartin »

Yeah, I think his illness has taken him from us. What a marvelous (no, "incredible") work of ART he left us with. His work has inspired lots of other subsystem approaches we have seen dotted across Puppyland. But, his far-reaching efforts were concentrated in a single work.

I think there are only 2 active developers left who, not only understand his work, but can carry much of what he provided us, forward.

Further, I am not exactly sure about how he went about adding the master touches he incorporated in his work. He mentions others who were foundational, but, his work seems to be individually crafted. To do this in WOOFCE, I wonder??? Even if replicated with the package upgrades since his release last summer, would we still get the speed and the design he brought to us in a single packaging as he did.

With ALL of the other design elements he gave to us, we must remember that ths is the ONLY PUPPY DISTRO that one can manage much/most of the system on a touch screen. So anyone who has an all-in-one touch system will/can do much visual work with your finger. And, with a microphone there is lots that can be done, even navigating the internet.

Not just a distro, but a work of Art for any user.

Pelo

I Remasterized LHP 5.0.3 with kernel 3.0.25

#6 Post by Pelo »

I Remasterized LHP 5.0.3 with kernel 3.0.25 without modifying contents
Excepted lib : modules firmware
etc : modules.
it's really a nice distro.

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

I should share so that I don't confuse others. His touchscreen achievements I am aware of, not to mention the other achievements he included, were concentrated in his 64bit version(s). But, yes, on a non-touch 32bit desktop, this was a master accomplishment as well.

Meshworks

Marinter Version

#8 Post by Meshworks »

Mariners spend a long time away from home and therefore need to pack all the things they need for the voyage.

Mariner versions accordingly are better stocked with software that is dispensed with in the light version.

In the words of The Oracle, "I thought you'd have worked that out by now!".

Pelo

Remember LHP 503,

#9 Post by Pelo »

Just LHP 64 bits arrived on Murga Planet. Click the blue and try it.
"your Just-Lighthouse64-604.6.5 works great on my old dual-core HP Invent portable.
Very nice work! Keep it up!
" Enjoys Musher0, our better translator english to french.
Remember LHP 503, and come back if you old computer cannot host the new one.
Look how french had LHP503 starting on You Tube

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Hi pelo.

Too bad your video doesn't show say, a minute of session with LightHouse
64. So people could appreciate the difference in layout on the desktop.

Basically, you only show the boot-up process, with the ANSI coloring,
which is fine, but it is not enough to truly illustrate the qualities of the
LightHouse 64 derivative, IMO. In and out I go, says pelo.

Also, I believe the more recent "Just-LightHouse64" version by "Dry
Walls" offers again another type of desktop layout that people may find
interesting.

As for me, since I changed from a 1280x1024 screen (desktop computer)
to this portable (1280x800 resolution), I find myself wanting more
desktop space. On the JL64, the layout is such that I don't feel cramped. I
don't know how he did it (smaller fonts and smaller icons perhaps) but I
feel comfortable even having lost 112 pixels at the top and bottom of the
screen.

Just a thought. BFN.

musher0
~~~~~~~~
P.S. And please don't mention me in your posts without reason? Thanks.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Puppyt

#11 Post by Puppyt »

I used LH64 as my main work/home machine, and it was instrumental in converting my (then) wife to the magic/joys of Puppy Linux. I even found the money to donate to Tazoc's cause - just too brilliant to take for granted. I do review his website periodically for news. I really hope that Tazoc is merely convalescing - terrible news that he is lost to his family and to his Puppy fanbase.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

Pelo

I have not yet adopt LHP64.

#12 Post by Pelo »

It's a topic about Mariner, that is the reason why i mention my video about starting scripts. I have not yet adopt LHP64.
LHP503 has is own pendrive at home.