How to boot Puppy silently? (I.e., no boot messages)

Using applications, configuring, problems

How to boot Puppy silently? (I.e., no boot messages)

#1 Post by Guest »

How can I make puppy boot silently (I.e. no text messages before xwin starts)?

This is a USB flash boot, using syslinux.

AP

J_Rey

#2 Post by J_Rey »

You need to add the "quiet" parameter to Puppy Linux's default boot parameters. See also the Puppy Boot Parameters wiki page for more about that. I'm not sure how to configure syslinux to use that parameter. I'll check on it later and someone else may get to that before me, but it'll give you a start.

#3 Post by Guest »

Thanks.
That mostly works, though it seems to start sending messages toward the end of the boot.
AP

saintlangton

#4 Post by saintlangton »

There is two sets of messages that scroll up the screen on boot. The first lot is from the linux kernel itself - when it is told 'quiet' then you stop getting these messages.

The other lot of messages is from puppy's bootscripts and AFAIK there is no easy way of quieting them. There *is* a hard way - editing the scripts to stop the messages being output to the screen. I tried this once, ended up with a dead puppy :cry: The scripts are in /etc/rc.d.

I'd recommend using the 'poor mans' version which is to let everything show the messages but simply ensure that the colour the messages are in matches the background colour - ie black. The problem with this is that often the scripts change the colour themselves so you'll have to ensure that every time this happens it gets overuled and changed to black. It'll take a good bit of work so good luck. (I tried for a while but laziness won)

how to set colours (from google)
http://www.developer.com/open/article.php/631241

Chris

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

"quiet" will only hide the kernel messages. You will still see the initialization script messages.

It's always baffled me why people care about the messages that show while booting. Just ignore them.

There are several alternatives to avoid seeing those messages:
a) Close your eyes and relax while it boots
b) Go to the Out house and prepare a cup of coffe, tea, hot chocolate or milk.
c) Don't turn on the monitor until you see that the HDD and/or CD stop working.

There is another long thread about this, I would recommend searching for it and reading the whys and hows.

eMeRy

#6 Post by eMeRy »

rarsa wrote: ...
There are several alternatives to avoid seeing those messages:
a) Close your eyes and relax while it boots
b) Go to the Out house and prepare a cup of coffe, tea, hot chocolate or milk.
c) Don't turn on the monitor until you see that the HDD and/or CD stop working.
:lol:
I've never seen shorter boot-time than Puppy's one. I think version b) is out...

Anyway, our Guest must have a reason to hide the boot up messages.

BootHoot

#7 Post by Guest »

While rarsa maybe be baffled why people care about boot messages that show while booting, the fact is an awful lot of people do care.
There are good reasons why the boot messages appear, but the ordinary punter couldn't give a monkeys about them.

The boot message issue has been mentioned on the forum before, and I suspect that it will have to be addressed sooner or later.

The comment I get from the "ordinary" uses of Puppy re the boot messages is along the lines of, "Why can't Puppy boot up in a similar manner to Windows XP".

I always have a chuckle when they say that, but I get their drift.

The boot message issue is quite trivial, however amazing how the trivial things in life turn out to become major issues.

Maybe we could run a competition amongst Puppy users nominating the best/worst/amusing line from the boot messages (assuming you can remember it before it flashes past)

I know what mine is (it appears just before the main boot messages start)

"This PC is about to be infected by the Linux virus, please reboot into Windows immediately before you get brainwashed - B Gates"

Boot message competition

#8 Post by Guest »

I submit the following boot message in the competition, however cannot guarantee the authenticity ot the message as it flashed by so quickly, anyway here is what I thought I saw.

"The following boot messages are brought to you by BarryK, from a boot camp located in a remote part of Western Australia. I was sent here some years ago by the powers that be (Microsoft) because my Puppy was making to much noise."

Sandgroper

Boot message comp

#9 Post by Sandgroper »

This message flashed by a couple of times, weird don't understand what it means, must have some local meaning maybe

"I'm booting for the Eagles"

or it could have been

"I'm rooting for the Eagles"

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Sure you can ignore them, but why have them at all if they flash by so fast as to be useless for any purpose? My suggestion is to at least offer a "single step" option to make the boot messages an aid in troubleshooting the boot process. There could be a boot code, "single-step" or something like that, which would cause the boot process to stop after each step and wait until you hit "enter" to execute the next step.

Bootflash

#11 Post by Bootflash »

I agree with Flash, unless there is some unavoidable "must have to reason", in which case so be it.

The Boot comp, I swear I saw the following message flash by a few days ago

"If I have to become a committee, I'm taking my boot and ball and playing somewhere else"

#12 Post by Guest »

Windows' die hard users have a mind of their own , they care so much about looks and maybe seeing them messages makes their brain smoke :lol:
i worry that developers giving in to stuff like that and before we know we will have startup screen.
its a good thing that linux is spreading but at what cost :cry: ,down with gui and long live CLI.

Orca

#13 Post by Orca »

Anonymous wrote:Windows' die hard users have a mind of their own , they care so much about looks and maybe seeing them messages makes their brain smoke :lol:
i worry that developers giving in to stuff like that and before we know we will have startup screen.
its a good thing that linux is spreading but at what cost :cry: ,down with gui and long live CLI.
at least he/she didn't ask this:
http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/forum ... 26;t=10995
another thing about new linux explorers which is for some reason they rush into installing on their HD without taking the time to learn the basics and then they asks why can't i just click on something to get it to work ?
in DSL its set to startup with a simple FAQ and still they ask the same questions.
Glade to see stuff like that get posted here not just our DSL forum but for the most your users are noticeably asking good ones unlike 99.999% whats over there.

Sage

#14 Post by Sage »

Having declared as a SW hater, I find the boot messages very helpful. We discussed elsewhere various aspects of formatting and initiating a swap file/partition for type2 installations; nice to see it confirmed as working.
As an HW freak, my machines rarely remain the same from day-to-day so I like to be reminded what I put in the box yesterday over an early morning, bleary-eyed cup ot tea. Detection is now so good that I can swap HD s around and get a preliminary idea of what meddling I did on last week's projects from the boot messages. Only complaint is that I don't see the accreditation to the University of my home town in the network section with Puppy.
Folks needing a slower reprise can use <dmesg> in a console and scroll at their own speed, or even print out.

rarsa

#15 Post by rarsa »

Remember, there is already a long thread like this. We will end up saying the same things, we will again give ideas on how to remove the messages and the people complaining will do nothing to remove them. What's the point?

"Lets remove the messages"... as long as someone else does it?

Remember, it won't happen unless someone finds it to be a priority and is willing to change it.
but the ordinary punter couldn't give a monkeys about them.
That was exactly my point! They don't care, so why the effort on removing them.

If you are serious about removing the messages, search the other thread. Several solutions were sugested.

Bottom line: The combined solution comming out of that brainstorming was
- Modify the startup scripts to ask the type of boot you want: Logged, silent, onscreen messages, Step by step.
- Replace all the "echo"s to the console with a function call that will do whatever was selected at the begining of the scripts.

- Very simple solution
- Very time consuming.
- You need to coordinate with Barry so he uses the solution on the next version of the startup scripts or you will need to reimplement your 'fix' every release.