Aqualung on luci-202

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
tubeguy

Aqualung on luci-202

#1 Post by tubeguy »

Aqualung 1114 running on my lappie, with luci-202. Notice the EQ, the center frequencies are at musical fundamentals. In case you're wondering where 880 is, one does not mess with the midrange. :D

I've sort of adopted Aqualung as a project. See this post for more, shoutouts to playdayz. 8)

Click for full view
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

Have you been successful in getting Aqualung to play itunes files? Or identified the necessary plugins to play them?

Thanks,
Jim

tubeguy

#3 Post by tubeguy »

Jim1911 wrote:Have you been successful in getting Aqualung to play itunes files? Or identified the necessary plugins to play them?
What's iTunes? No seriously, I never thought about it until now. I Googled it and it seems that iTunes format is mp4, but I don't have any mp4 files to test. However any file supported by libsndfile, libmodplug and FFmpeg should work, AFAIK. I don't know exactly what they all are though.

OK, I found an mp4 and it played:
http://chromium.googlecode.com/svn-hist ... -voice.mp4

tubeguy

#4 Post by tubeguy »

Now on luci-515.

Latest pet, compiled for Puppy 5.x: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet

TAP plugins here: http://tubeguy.org/puppybg/tap-plugins-0.7.1.tar.gz (Extract and run "make install" on the folder contents.)

Today I learned that the file ~/.aqualung/plugin.xml contains all plugin settings, I can now save that file and drop it in to a new Puppy install without having to redo all the plugin settings again. Cool!

In the pic is a setup I came up with to flatten out the response of my Grado SR60's. The cuts at bands 6 and 7 smooth out the somewhat ragged highs, cuts at 1 and 2 alleviate the slightly fat bottom, 5 and 6 seem to correct the sometimes too-forward midrange. Overall I get a clearer view into recordings, especially well-engineered records really shine now, like balance has been restored.

I also learned that one of the reasons Aqualung sounds so good is the MAD audio decoder library that Aqualung uses for MPEG audio which decodes to 24bit (preserved by Aqualung to the extent possible) and generally has much higher precision than most widely used libraries, this according to the Aqualung developer. Lots of hardware won't actually do 24 bit, but if the source is better than the hardware can handle, at least it will output the best possible signal. In production that would be called "professional headroom". In the case of Aqualung, using some extra CPU in order to do proper interpolation combined with native 24bit resolution results in a very high quality output.
Attachments
aqualung_R-1114_luci-515smaller.jpg
(82.42 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times