mplayer with gui for LUPU puppy 5

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
sickgut

mplayer with gui for LUPU puppy 5

#1 Post by sickgut »

1) use the puppy package manager to download and install with all the dependencies mplayer from the ubuntu-lucid-multiverse
I didnt bother updating or anything just installed from there.

2) you now have mplayer with no gui (ie you need fancy console commands to run stuff!!) we need to get another program, this will require downloading 2 files: goto http://packages.ubuntu.com and find mplayer-gui download this to your HDD or flash disk or whatever, click on it and it will install, after running the dependencies check i found it needed another file too mplayer-skin from the same site do a search for this and there should be another .deb file you can download called mplayer-skins.deb download this and click on it.

3) you know have the gui front end for mplayer and it will give you nice mouse clicking and graphics etc but at this point it is impropperly configured and tries to use the mga_drv (note: wtf??) this is a video driver for a matrox millenium card. Unless you actually have one of these cards then you will need to change this. I tried editing .conf files everywhere but had no luck, i finally found this solution:
at the console type: gmplayer -vo xv
this tells gmplayer (the gui bit of mplayer) to use your current xwindows X11 driver or whatever, this works and the config "sticks" ie you dont have to keep typing this every time.

4) in your rox file browser goto /usr/bin and find the file gmplayer
drag this file to your desktop and it will make a functioning shortcut for it.
If you right click this shortcut and look through stuff you can add any pic you want for an icon, but if you are a mighty newbie linux ninja like me then we have no need for fancy stuff like that, what is this Vista? geeesh.

Ta-Dah!! mkv files and other stuff that gxine dont like works nice. You might not be able to use remote controll function and it it complains about some alsa or pulse audio thing then just click ok or whatever, and you may need to turn the volume up on mplayer coz it seems to wanna start with the volume right down.

GatorDog

#2 Post by GatorDog »

This worked great. Pup package manager reported a missing dependency, libglut.so.3 .

That can be found here http://dri.sourceforge.net/res/libglut.so.3.7.0

Save that in /lib
Creat a symlink: ln -s libglut.so.3.7.0 libglut.so.3