Quirky-120 Firefox Version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gnomic

updated version?

#61 Post by gnomic »

Hi there,

When will be the updated version of qret120 with firefox :-) ???

I ask because I have been considering nominating this as my puplet of the year. Guess I would have to say this principally because this version was capable of reliably putting a couple of ThinkPads to sleep when I closed the lid and actually waking them up in a usable condition in live CD sessions. Seems any fool can sleep a laptop but only the chosen few can actually restore the session . . . . (Yes, I'm looking at you, just about any live CD with Gnome for example).

Now there may be some terminological inexactitude here because the ThinkPads are probably being suspended to RAM in fact? In general this seems to be a weak area for Linux, I guess understandably given the range of machines, configurations of RAM and swap, etc, which may be encountered in the wild. On the other hand I have been bemused by the number of distros which have wildly optimistic default settings in this regard, so that it's always a heart in mouth moment when one closes the lid.

Anyway I have often wondered 'how did they do that?' and indeed 'where did it go?', since I haven't seen this wondrous feat in later versions of Quirky. Was this just some happenstance conjunction of a particular kernel version and some settings, presumably in the acpi region? Or was it a deliberate plan?

The machines in question are a ThinkPad Z60m, and R51. Any thoughts from some Linux sage? A new version of this CD with updated Firefox would be nice for Christmas. Or even a later Quirky + Firefox which had the suspend thing working.

From the qret120 desktop. Oh, and that Flashblock should be compulsory as well.