Uhuru Linux 4.12

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
hondasid

Uhuru Linux 4.12

#1 Post by hondasid »

After many months of building, testing, erasing and starting over, losing data, and a lot of other crap, Uhuru will be available for download on Saturday, June 6, 2009 at 12:00 noon Central Standard Time.

Uhuru is built on Puppy Barebones 4.12 Standard Kernel and has just the right amount of programs added to be an average, everyday use OS, while being very user and beginner friendly. There are no screenshots available, as the screenshot program was not added to save space. The final ISO image is expected to be around 90 MB. The entire project was built and tested on a Pentium MMX 200mhz with 64 MB RAM and 240 MB Swap.

There will be 2 versions available: Kijani and Chungwa

For more information and an explanation of the names, visit the Uhuru Homepage at http://hondasid1984.angelfire.com/index.html.
Attachments
duck.jpg
Default Kijani Wallpaper
(156.13 KiB) Downloaded 3967 times
uhuru chungwa logo.jpg
Uhuru Chungwa Logo
(4.83 KiB) Downloaded 3884 times
Last edited by hondasid on Fri 05 Jun 2009, 03:16, edited 3 times in total.
Instead of looking out Windows, I'm playing with my Puppy.

bugman

#2 Post by bugman »

ahsante!

hondasid

#3 Post by hondasid »

Nilipokea!

I don't speak or understand Swahili, I just thought that it sounded cool and meant something that Puppy stands for, so I went with it. I use an online translator I found with google.

bugman

#4 Post by bugman »

actually, 'uhuru' is one of the only swahili words i know . . .

puppyiso

#5 Post by puppyiso »

Hello, hondasid

I am glad someone is making another "Light" Puppy.
Any bloated and crawling puppies are turn off for me.

Turbo, Choice mini, Browser puppy, PULP.. etc are all trying to achieve the goal of "Light and Swift" puppy experience.

I have no idea what "Uhuru" means but it is a fresh idea.

You announced the release day exactly what day, what time.
I am very impressed. Cause I have seen some people announce their puppies too early and I have never seen the puppies in worst cases.

The web site you posted is not reachable. Please check if there is any problem.

John S

hondasid

#6 Post by hondasid »

MAIN POST EDITED.

Website host does not allow direct URL access for some reason. It's the last link in the Dump.

http://hondasid1984.angelfire.com/index.html

The main purpose is to be an everyday use web browser, minimal game console (solitaire, gem game, etc.), and Windows capatable word processor. There is also CUPS installed for printing, as well as VLC for music and video, and alsa for most sound cards. The small size was inspired by people I knew that had old P1 hardware that worked great but was outdated.

Full list of additions is on the website, minus a few last minute additions, which will be listed in the morning. As of right now, both releases will be on time.

hondasid

Release has been delayed!

#7 Post by hondasid »

In true MS fashion, the release has been pushed back 30 minutes before it's release.

Due to some kind of hardware problem that lets my full install of Uhuru load but not a Live version of Puppy so that I can remaster it, the release has been pushed back until I can figure out the problem and get this thing remastered. Anyone who can help me please do. I'm new to remaster script and need help. To all those waiting abaited breath, I apologize and hope you will still download and give it just as fair of a shot. This is my first puplet, I wrote a few programs in C++ and Basic in high school, but nothing like this. It's been kind of hard learning, but well worth it. I hope everyone enjoys the fruits of my labor. I have worked hard to make sure everything is right.

belfasteddie

#8 Post by belfasteddie »

Where's Bill Gates when you need him?

sky king

Uhuru

#9 Post by sky king »

I thought the name was for the gal on the bridge in Star Trek.

hondasid

#10 Post by hondasid »

And I thought it would be confused for Ubuntu.

I just happened to hear it one day and decided it fit.

hondasid

#11 Post by hondasid »

The ISO is here! It's on rapidshare and can be downloaded 10 times, please mirror! Please try this out for your MMX and other low resource systems. Tested and built on 166Mhz with 64 MB RAM.

Based on Barebones 4.12
Added:
Foxxit and dep.
Seamonkey 1.18, no mailandnews
SeaMonkey Add-ons
VLC 0.8.6
PatheticWriter and deps.
Flash 9.0.124
GPicview
Ace of Penguins
TKL/TCL
GemGame
TKSpider
TKHearts
Bubbles
Pfilesearch/Pfind
mtpaint and deps.

Xvesa only, Xorg was not added!. It will need to be added if you have the capability to watch video (64 RAM won't).

There have been changes made since the main post. This is the only version available, no code name, simply Uhuru 4.12. It is neither green nor orange, but blue, with a nice theme applied to compliment and update the look. Also, the app word on the desktop didn't keep it's icon assignment for some reason. The icon is word48.png located in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps. Please let me know about any other issues.

Here it is:
http://rapidshare.com/files/302125277/Uhuru412.iso.html

MD5:302079FAD1EA23BC1E8161CFA937444E

Dingo

#12 Post by Dingo »

replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

hondasid

#13 Post by hondasid »

MU

#14 Post by MU »

mirror:
http://puppyisos.org/isos/2009-07-to-12/
user: puppy
password: linux

Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

Angitherias

#15 Post by Angitherias »

Is there a certain way I should load this version of puppy? I should mention I have a frugal installation of puppy 1.08 installed off a floppy to boot.

hondasid

#16 Post by hondasid »

Full install and 400 MB swap should do you fine

Angitherias

#17 Post by Angitherias »

I guess what I'm asking is do I have to reformat the harddrive as a dedicated Linux partition.

hondasid

#18 Post by hondasid »

to do a full install, yes. you must have an ext2 or 3 filesystem. i wouldn't recommend a frugal install on this machine.

Colonel Panic

#19 Post by Colonel Panic »

Okay, but put like that it looks like you have to get rid of any existing partitions on your machine before you install Uhuru. Is this true?

Normally with a Puppy distro.you can create a dedicated partition on your hard drive alongside an existing Linux or Windows partition, by using GParted to shrink the existing partition and thus create space on the hard drive for the Puppy partition. Thus you can run Puppy alongside any other distro or Windows OS you already have.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

hondasid

#20 Post by hondasid »

no, it just needs its own dedicated partition. it's just that with such a low ram system, a full install is going to work much faster than a frugal.