Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Sep 2014, 16:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Where to find an Open Office version for Puppy 5 Frugal?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
sri_sssitc

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun 2010, 12:21    Post subject:  Where to find an Open Office version for Puppy 5 Frugal?  

I have a Puppy Linux 5 Frugal (Lucid Puppy) Installation on hard drive. RAM 198 MB. Pentium4. 20 GB Hard Disk space. No other OS installed. Two partitions sda1 (8 GB where Puppy is installed) and sda3 (12 GB) for users' files. Working great [ though after a 5 rounds of troubleshooting, largely perhaps due to my ignorance:) ]

First timer to Linux.

Question 1 :
I am looking for where to download a suitable Open Office that is applicable for Puppy Linux 5. (not necessary the latest, I can do with an older version).

The link should specifically mention that the .pet or .sfs is applicable for Puppy Linux 5 so that I don't download and then find the install fails.

I have not had any success with the ones downloaded from
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/openoffice
The downloaded files have been checked for checksum, in spite of it I get a message "can't be installed".

The same failure applies to :
http://batubia.com/rr0kedq3t5hc

so no point, pointing me to that link.

I need a reliable download page, no download breaks etc. I can afford a speed for 60 MB per hour. I am okay to use P2P to download as well.

Question 2 :

If I download the .DEB package from the Open Office website, what are the steps I should follow to install it in Puppy Linux 5 ?

Question 3 :

In puppy linux 5, how to verify the SHA-1 checksum of a downloaded file ? (The last time I had done the verification on a Windows machine )

The best inputs would be from those who have installed some version of Open Office on Puppy Linux 5.
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jun 2010, 17:23    Post subject:  

Use Quickpet to select SFS, then SFS Support and it will link you to an OpenOffice sfs that works fine with Lucid along with instructions as to how to use the sfs files.
sri_sssitc

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jun 2010, 06:24    Post subject: Will try and get back..  

Thanks...

Will try that option and get back...
raffy

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun 2010, 03:52    Post subject: ibiblio  

This download page, built by Barry for Puppy 4.3.1 and later (using sfs4), is hosted by ibiblio.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun 2010, 08:14    Post subject: Re: Where to find an Open Office version for Puppy 5 Frugal?  

sri_sssitc wrote:
I have a Puppy Linux 5 Frugal (Lucid Puppy) Installation on hard drive. RAM 198 MB. Pentium4. 20 GB Hard Disk space. No other OS installed. Two partitions sda1 (8 GB where Puppy is installed) and sda3 (12 GB) for users' files. Working great [ though after a 5 rounds of troubleshooting, largely perhaps due to my ignorance:) ]

I'm not entirely sure how a frugal install works, but it seems to me that 192 MB of RAM and no swap space is barely enough to run Puppy without OpenOffice. I'm guessing you'll have problems running OpenOffice unless you add a swap partition, or some RAM.

Quote:
Question 3 :

In puppy linux 5, how to verify the SHA-1 checksum of a downloaded file ? (The last time I had done the verification on a Windows machine)

Menu -> Utility -> gHasher will calculate a checksum that should match the one given on the download site.
smokey01

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jun 2010, 10:10    Post subject:  

Here: http://www.smokey01.com/coolpup/openoffice-3.2.1.9502_en-GB.pet
enhu

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jun 2010, 08:03    Post subject:  

smokey01 wrote:
Here: http://www.smokey01.com/coolpup/openoffice-3.2.1.9502_en-GB.pet

is this working even in installed fully in the hard drive?
charlie6

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul 2010, 03:49    Post subject:  

Hi,
just look here ....
those pets (as jreXXX.pet below on the page (i.e. java) ) are installed in /mnt/home...so they do not increase the pup_save file ...=-) !
Cheers, Charlie
LittlebyLittle

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2012, 05:13    Post subject:  Open Office / Libre Offic for Puppy 5 Frugal
Subject description: Broken Link

Another newbie trying to sort out the conundrum of sfs v pet and the latest sfs of office / libre download, etc. I was interested in your comment re 'mnt/home'.

charlie6 - afraid this link is broken - target appears to relate to the split between openoffice and libreoffice

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to: