Hard drive Grub Install Problem

Booting, installing, newbie
Fishy

Hard drive Grub Install Problem

#1 Post by Fishy »

I have tried to get Puppy to work off my hard drive but get a fault 13 when booting with grub. Libranet (normal distro) has a spiffy grub manager which worked with Y2K on two different drives and Suse.

I have:

/dev/hda1 ntfs
/dev/hda2 reisorsfs for Libranet /
/dev/hda3 reisorsfs for Libranet /home
/dev/hda4 extended --lba
/dev/hda5 Linux swap
/dev/hda6 ext2 for Puppy

Final entry of menu list in /boot/grub in Libranet is:
#entry: title(Puppy on hd0,5) chain
title Puppy on hd0,5
Rootnoverify (hd0,5)
Chainloader +1

I should mention that I used Puppy's grub install script as well sending it to MBR. That did not seem to do anything as the normal boot screen appeared with the various kernels for Libranet and the MS Y2K's plus Puppy but no go.

I am missing something obvious here. Spoilt by Libranet's adminmenu I guess. Help gratefully appreciated.

Cheers John

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

I don't know what type of install you did. If an Option 2 you can try this:

title Puppy Linux - hda6
kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=normal

# additonal optional kernel arguments if needed
# apm=off acpi=off ide=nodma noapic

If not Option 2 install post again

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

The parameters you set for the Puppy entry on your grub menu file will only work if you install grub in that partition.

What this entry is saying is that the grub in the MBR should chainload the grub in hda6 which in turn will show a menu too.

From your message I get that you did not installed grub to hda6.

What you entry should have is not a chainload but the actual root and kernel parameters. For example:

Title Puppy on hda6
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz (plus all your kernel parameters)

I am not in my puppy computer right now so I cannot tell you the exact parameters for the kernel line. They should be farily simmilar to the parameters you pass to the libranet kernel.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Hi rarsa,

I could not tell who you were posting specifically to fishy or me.

I extrapolated from Fishy's post that GRUB is on the MBR and points to /boot/grub on hda2 for its files including menu.lst

I'm pretty sure that either of our examples would do the same thing as far as booting Puppy Option 2 on hda6

Mine:

title Puppy Linux - hda6
kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 ro vga=normal

Yours:

Title Puppy on hda6
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz (plus all your kernel parameters)

Fishy:

title Puppy on hd0,5
Rootnoverify (hd0,5)
Chainloader +1

I interpret this as telling GRUB to pass control to the boot sector on hda6, which is how a person would boot a DOS system or system with the booting code in the boot sector.

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

Bruce B wrote:I could not tell who you were posting specifically to fishy or me.
I am sorry for the confussion. I started writing the response before you posted yours, It just happened that I had a lot of work to do and couldn't finish my response until way latter.

Your example is clearer as I didn't have puppy in front of me nor time to search the forum for the right parameters.

Fishy:
Bruce B wrote:title Puppy on hd0,5
Rootnoverify (hd0,5)
Chainloader +1

I interpret this as telling GRUB to pass control to the boot sector on hda6, which is how a person would boot a DOS system or system with the booting code in the boot sector.
It will also work for other linux partitions with the boot sector on the partition. There are some circumnstances when you would like to do that. I think this is not one of those cases.

So, good thing, we both agree on the solution.

#6 Post by Guest »

Thanks for the assist, silly mistake. As I said " used to having things done automatically".