512 MB USB boots slow on laptop, fast on desktop

Booting, installing, newbie

512 MB USB boots slow on laptop, fast on desktop

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi, i have puppy on my 512MB Kingston-stick and everything works great except that boot-time is extremly slow. On my laptop it takes about 5 minutes to boot but on my other computer it only takes 45 seconds?! I have change all kind of things regarding boot and usb in BIOS but with no luck. I think my laptop somehow run USB as 1.1 under boot but i'm not sure, thats just a thought... Just to check i ran QEMU under windows (with the same stick but in the emulator) on my laptop and then it boot just as fast as my other computer... My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6000.

Any ideas are welcome...

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Where does Puppy save the pup001 on the slow machine?
Search it,and copy usr_cram.fs to the same folder.

Then this huge file should be loaded from the fast harddisk, and not from the slow usb-stick.

Mark

kethd

#3 Post by kethd »

Yes, I think your laptop is booting USB 1.1.

And you have proved that your laptop does have a USB 2.0 port, it seems. And you seem to have proved that the 512MB USB drive can run at 2.0, and can even boot at 2.0, in some circumstances.

But that does not actually tell us if your laptop can do a real hardware boot at USB 2.0 speeds, or if there is anything about Puppy slowing it down!

I don't know what the next steps would be. You could hunt around for other Linuxes that boot from USB, and see if the laptop will boot them at 2.0. If you can find any, you can study the difference between them and Puppy.

Or, you can research what part of the Puppy boot might trigger boosting into turbo speeds, and why it might work on your desktop but not your laptop...

If you can ever find the answer, I'm sure Barry would like to incorporate the improvements in to future versions!

#4 Post by Guest »

MU wrote:Where does Puppy save the pup001 on the slow machine?
Search it,and copy usr_cram.fs to the same folder.
Since i running everything from my usb (i need the possibility to move from machine to machine) this is not possible.
kethd wrote:Yes, I think your laptop is booting USB 1.1.

And you have proved that your laptop does have a USB 2.0 port, it seems. And you seem to have proved that the 512MB USB drive can run at 2.0, and can even boot at 2.0, in some circumstances.

But that does not actually tell us if your laptop can do a real hardware boot at USB 2.0 speeds, or if there is anything about Puppy slowing it down!

I don't know what the next steps would be. You could hunt around for other Linuxes that boot from USB, and see if the laptop will boot them at 2.0. If you can find any, you can study the difference between them and Puppy.

Or, you can research what part of the Puppy boot might trigger boosting into turbo speeds, and why it might work on your desktop but not your laptop...

If you can ever find the answer, I'm sure Barry would like to incorporate the improvements in to future versions!
Ok thanks, I tryed Feather and that took about 1 minute to boot on both machines, so it seems like there is something strange with the puppy-boot.

I keep on searching. Any more ideas would be appreciated.

#5 Post by Guest »

To anyone interested I found a solution. I actually did as MU mention in this thread: http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=3342 except that I added modprobe ehci-hcd in the rc.sysinit-file. Now it boots in USB 2.0 speed :)