Is there an image editor that will preserve EXIF data?

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
paulh177

Is there an image editor that will preserve EXIF data?

#1 Post by paulh177 »

Longggg time since I posted here ...

Using Puppy 4.31 on my AA1 holiday-netbook.
Neither mtPaint (v331) nor Gimp 2.4-rc3 (as preinstalled in 4.31) will preserve EXIF data
Anyone know an image manipulator that does?
I think later Gimp (2.6+) will but I can't find a .pet for Puppy 4.31
I wish mtPaint would ... it's so much easier to use than Gimp for my limited needs ... sigh

thanks in advance for any help

paul

Peterm321

#2 Post by Peterm321 »

I think later Gimp (2.6+) will but I can't find a .pet for Puppy 4.31
You would be right, I use Gimp 2.6.3 and it has an option in the "save as jpeg" dialog to preserve EXIF data. There are pets available for 2.6.8 more recently posted on the forums but on my system they won't work as they require more recent libc dependencies.

Exiftool (a Perl command line tool) might also be able to copy EXIF data from one file to another, I haven't used it myself for this purpose; however it appears from a brief look at the documentation that it can copy EXIF data.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/exiftool

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Yes, there are several tools for that sort of thing at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25314
If you install jhead you can also use pmetatagger (puppy's gui editor for id3 tags etc) with jpgs :)
I wish mtPaint would ... it's so much easier to use than Gimp for my limited needs ... sigh
What are your needs? There is probably another program that is more suitable than either of them...
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

paulh177

#4 Post by paulh177 »

Thanks to both of you ...
I generally only use Puppy now on my netbook, when I'm away from home.
I take a lot of photographs, for sharing with others, sometimes via Flickr, other times on various photography and wildlife forums. For all of these purposes I want to preserve EXIF data so that others can see the technical details of the shot.
(This is fine in my home environment where I use XP and have the native Olympus software)
In essence, when using Puppy, I need to be able to crop, resize, and perhaps sharpen a bit; It isn't mission-critical stuff because I always have the original jpgs and raw files to fall back on when i get home, but that can also mean trying to reproduce edits.
SO ... not much to ask ... an image editor that can crop resize and sharpen but preserves EXIF data.
When I get round to it, I'll upgrade the netbook to Puppy 5, which will leave me able to use Gimp 2.6+, in the meantime I was after a quikc workaround.
(also I wish MU would revamp scale2pics so that it preserved EXIF too ... it's such a brilliant little utility)

oops that all got a bit lengthy.

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

crop, resize, and perhaps sharpen a bit;
I'd use Xnview on Wine :)... hopefully Xnviewmp will have crop support soon though.
Have you tried fotoxx? I'm not certain of whether it preserves exif data, but if it doesn't, the developer is extremely responsive to suggestions...

If you want you should be able to run Gimp 2.6.3 from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 344#308344
On Puppy 4.1.x you would need to install the updated glib, but even that might not be necessary with 4.3.x
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

paulh177

#6 Post by paulh177 »

disciple, I know it's raining where I am but the prospect of messing with glib on an install i have tuned just to my desires doesn't fill me with glee ...

as for wine ... i don't have any use for the stuff thanks.

now, fotoxx ... it has a bit of a weird interface but I've just installed it and it'll do just about all I need.

Hurrah!

Thanks for your help, Puppy support at it's best