modem install code

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials

modem install code

#1 Post by Guest »

i found on my modems manufacturers website how to install the drivers for my modem in linux
Q:

How do I install the modem for Linux?

A:

Log on to Linux as root. Then type the following command:

# cat /proc/pci
The following is an example of information to look for:

Bus 0, device 12, function 0:
Communication controller: Lucent (ex-AT&T)
Microelectronics Unknown device (rev 0).
Vendor id=11c1. Device id=480.
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 11.
Master Capable. No bursts. Min Gnt=252.Max Lat=14.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0800000
[0xe0800000].
I/O at 0xa000 [0xa001].
I/O at 0x9800 [0x9801].
I/O at 0x9400 [0x9401].

Write down the first I/O range. The example shows that I/O is 0xa000. The values may vary, depending on the system. Then type

# setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xa000 spd_vhi skip_test auto_irq autoconfig
and hit enter.

If there are no errors, then type

# setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550A
and hit enter.

Select /dev/ttyS3 as the device in whichever dial-up communication program you're using. It should now initialize and operate.

Edit the rc.local or rc.serial file located in the /etc/rc.d directory. Add the two setserial lines at the end of the file. Save and reboot the system.

If you are using the S.u.S.E. distribution, this can be done by adding the command to /sbin/init.d/boot.local or by changing /sbin/init.d/serial according to your needs.

If you are using the Debian distribution, go to the /etc/rcS.d directory. Edit the file called S30setserial and add the two setserial lines.

If you are using the Corel distribution, go to the /etc/rc.boot directory. Edit the file called 0setserial and add the two setserial lines.

If you are using the StormLinux 2000 distribution, go to the /etc/init.d directory. Edit the file called bootmisc.sh and add the two setserial lines.

translation in english and puppy linux would be appreciated

also i am a windows expert but linux noob so go easy on the linux terminology, but feel free to refer to windows examples

puppian

Re: modem install code

#2 Post by puppian »

Have you tried Puppy's modem wizard (Start --> Setup --> Modem Wizard) ?

A link to the page where you found the above information may help too.
Anonymous wrote:Log on to Linux as root.
Puppy runs as root by default. So you can ignore this line.
Edit the rc.local or rc.serial file located in the /etc/rc.d directory. Add the two setserial lines at the end of the file. Save and reboot the system.

If you are using the S.u.S.E. distribution, this can be done by adding the command to /sbin/init.d/boot.local or by changing /sbin/init.d/serial according to your needs.

If you are using the Debian distribution, go to the /etc/rcS.d directory. Edit the file called S30setserial and add the two setserial lines.

If you are using the Corel distribution, go to the /etc/rc.boot directory. Edit the file called 0setserial and add the two setserial lines.

If you are using the StormLinux 2000 distribution, go to the /etc/init.d directory. Edit the file called bootmisc.sh and add the two setserial lines.

I think these lines are telling you how to make your Linux distribution load the modem driver each time it boots.
[url=http://puppylinux.org]Puppylinux.org - Community home page of Puppy Linux[/url] hosted by Barry (creator of Puppy), created and maintained by the [url=http://puppylinux.org/user/readarticle.php?article_id=8]Puppy Linux Foundation[/url] since 2005