Dialup/Wireless Modem Upgrade Packages for Puppy 4.3+

bignono1

#106 Post by bignono1 »

Barking loud on lupup 5.1.1

Insomniacno1

#107 Post by Insomniacno1 »

I hope you can use this info to fix the probleme in all Puppy versions. This is how I got Huawei E1552 Globe Tattoo Usb modem to work in Peppermint One 08042010(some of the info is pieced together from other sites):

Before you start, install usb modeswitch from synaptics.

Instructions:

1. Insert your Huawei USB.

2. From a terminal window, type lsusb:

Code:

lsusb

hit Enter and you should see an output like this:

Code:

Bus 001 Device 011: ID 12d1:1001 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E620 USB Modem
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1bcf:0007 Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

3. The output will show the vendor ID and the product ID (12d1 and 1001 in the above example - it might be different on your machine) .

4. Create a udev rule by typing

Code:

gksu gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/15-huawei-e620.rules

I named my file 15-huawei-e620.rules because that's what lsusb showed from no. 2 then copy+paste the code below:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",SYSFS{idProduct}=="1001",SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1",RUN+="/lib/udev/modem-modeswitch --vendor 0x12d1 --product 0x1001 --type option-zerocd"

NOTE the code above should be 1 line only, no wordwrap!!

Just be sure to replace (if necessary) the correct values you got for your product and vendor IDs.

Save the file and type exit to close the terminal window.

5. Safely remove the USB drive then reinsert.

6. The Network manager will automatically detect your USB, But if not then create a new Mobile Broadband connection manually. Just right-click on the network manager icon, choose Edit Connections, go to Mobile Broadband, and click Add.

7. Proceed with the prompts, choosing Huawei, and Globe (I chose plan unlisted).
Here are the values that worked for me:

Number: *99#
APN: http.globe.com.ph
Under PPP settings, I chose PAP as the only authentication method.

NOTE: If you don't have gedit then install it by typing apt-get install gedit and yes when asked. Then proceed to step 4.

As I said in the start I hope you can use this info to make Puppy work just as smooth. That is one of the reasons I'm using Peppermint instead of Puppy. Puppy is faster than and work better with only 192Mb ram, but there is also video playback which don't work so well on the included mPlayer. Plus the fact that Puppy higher than 4.2.1 don't find my HDD.

rerwin

#108 Post by rerwin »

Insomniacno1 wrote:7. Proceed with the prompts, choosing Huawei, and Globe (I chose plan unlisted).

. . .

As I said in the start I hope you can use this info to make Puppy work just as smooth. That is one of the reasons I'm using Peppermint instead of Puppy. Puppy is faster than and work better with only 192Mb ram, but there is also video playback which don't work so well on the included mPlayer. Plus the fact that Puppy higher than 4.2.1 don't find my HDD.
Thanks for posting your experience with Peppermint. I see no reason why the latest updates to 4.3.1 (posted on page 1) would not support your modem automatically. The only unusual-looking comment is about choosing PAP authentication. Does Globe require that and does CHAP not work? If so, puppy has a simple way to force PAP for particular APNs.

I conclude that you are not able to use puppy 4.3.1 due to a problem with recognizing your hard drive (HDD). I may not be much help with that, but we could start by your describing what happens. Unfortunately, the upgrades in this thread support only 4.3.1 and later. So we need to get past the HDD issue first. I would like to work with you to get your modem working in 4.3.1, if you are willing to work with me.
Richard

rerwin

Modem support upgraded to wary 0.9.8 level +

#109 Post by rerwin »

Dialup modem users,
I have added an upgrade to "level 9" of modem support, to incorporate all that I learned from improvements to the wary series of development versions. It includes a tailored version of the remaster script, to copy some files not already handled by remasterpup2. You can now make a new CD after installing all of the relevant packages from page 1.

Those with Agere modems can add those drivers, but should use the versions attached here -- in addition to the 11c11040 variant on page 4 -- because these are renamed with ".HIDE" to avoid unnecessary copying of the modules on first use of any of the group in a "frugal" installation. Although variant support was added in level 8, the means of managing the variants has changed to avoid some problems with the old method. The direct link to 11c11040 is: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=33171

Note that the new level 9 does not include the logic for accumulating online time, now at least partially in wary, because I doubt that facility is complete. However, it does have updates to the ALSA sound support, which may or may not help. Since there are several under-the-covers changes, I hope some of you will try out the new packages and report any remaining problems.

For the future, I plan to consolidate the modem fixes and others in a "puppy 4.3.1 Upgrade Central" thread, to simplify upgrading 4.3.1 for new users or those sticking with 4.3.1 while wary gets proven. Since Barry has resumed responsibility for module-loading and modem support in woof, wary and quirky, I expect to continue supporting 4.3.1, as well as contributing to his effort.
Richard

rerwin

modem_fix_pack_delta-8_to_9.pet corrected

#110 Post by rerwin »

To those who downloaded modem_fix_pack_delta-8_to_9.pet for the first three downloads, the original package erroneously overwrote a critical script file with an incorrect version. The correct version is in pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.8.pet.

Instead of installing the corrected package, please simply re-install pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.8.pet if you installed it before delta-8_to_9. If you installed it afterward, you already have the correct version of the script.
Richard

rerwin

Intel 537 modem support restored

#111 Post by rerwin »

I have corrected the pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.8.pet package, after download number 5, to prevent the timeout of module loading for the Intel 537 modems. If you have such a modem, please re-download (from thread page 1) and install that package.
Richard

rerwin

Further cleanup of modem support

#112 Post by rerwin »

I have uploaded the two main modem/modprobe packages (on page 1 of this thread) to straighten out some details and synchronize some code with the "zzz package". The changes do not include the new USB "hot plug" rewrite of modem support.

- SmartLink initialization script split into a separate one for the USB modem and eliminate the use of 2 links to the single script (slmodem).

- To prevent system lockup if the SL USB modem is unplugged, modemprobe_erase now kills the slmodemd daemon, which appears to be the cause. Be warned that this modem must not be unplugged while selected -- it is not "hot pluggable".

- Changed the DGC preference back to favoring the dgcmodem module instead of cdc_acm (if both support the device). Since the DGC driver uses an additional device node, it may support more features than cdc_acm (such as fax -- but not proven).

- From zzz for USB-serial (ttyUSBn) modems, added the modem_stats test to verify the chosen port responds to "AT" commands.

Since these are minor changes, made mainly to complete the details of "pre-zzz" modem support, there is no need to reinstall except to verify there is no regression in modem functionality. Please report here any such regressions. Thanks.
Richard

Insomniacno1

#113 Post by Insomniacno1 »

rerwin wrote:
Insomniacno1 wrote:7. Proceed with the prompts, choosing Huawei, and Globe (I chose plan unlisted).

. . .

Thanks for posting your experience with Peppermint. I see no reason why the latest updates to 4.3.1 (posted on page 1) would not support your modem automatically. The only unusual-looking comment is about choosing PAP authentication. Does Globe require that and does CHAP not work? If so, puppy has a simple way to force PAP for particular APNs.

I conclude that you are not able to use puppy 4.3.1 due to a problem with recognizing your hard drive (HDD). I may not be much help with that, but we could start by your describing what happens. Unfortunately, the upgrades in this thread support only 4.3.1 and later. So we need to get past the HDD issue first. I would like to work with you to get your modem working in 4.3.1, if you are willing to work with me.
Richard
I'm always willing to get things working:) When booting 4.3.1(or any other newer version) everything goes well and I come to the desktop. Now I would like to use the universal installer to install this puppy version to my empty hdd, but it says no device found.

There is no sda listed on the desktop, only floppy and CD and if I insert an USB it will be listed.

Running gparted also says no device.

What I have read other places is that puppy 4.2.1 retro is the last to support this old HW.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:570

JBJ

Insomniacno1

#114 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Update, I was so lucky to find a 4.3.2 retro version of 2.6.21.7 and running that right now from the CD - it finds the HDD:). I will install it and if you can help me set up the Huawei E1552 I would very much appreciate it:)

I have downloaded all the files you have posted in the last 8 pages, just tell me which ones to install and in what order:)

Thanx

JBJ

rerwin

#115 Post by rerwin »

Insomniacno1,
As I just now re-read your earlier posting, the thought occurred to me to use 4.2.1 to set up the HD with gparted the way you want it, then boot 4.3.1 to use the drive. You are way ahead of me on that! The packages should also work with 4.3.2, although I have not verified that with the retro kernel. I suspect that there are old USB-modem drivers in it, if any at all. But once you have the drive partitioned and formatted, I would think the regular 4.3.2 or 4.3.1 should work.

You do not need the packages beyond the first page, as they have been included in the ones I indicate here:

pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.8.pet
modem_fix_pack_delta-6_to_8.pet
modem_fix_pack_delta-8_to_9.pet
usb-modeswitch-data-20101202.pet
usb-modeswitch-1.1.4.pet

This order is good, although I think only the 6-to-8 and 8-to-9 packages require that order (for the obvious reason).

The agrsm packages are for PCI analog modems. The pmodemdiag files are users' diagnostic tarballs for troubleshooting. You do not need either set.

These packages represent my latest, best effort up to the point where Barry has redesigned much of my work, in Wary 5. I plan to support puppy 4 as long as there is interest in it. (Correction: And pre-zzz puppy 5s, too.) Your effort with these packages will be helpful to me (and the community) to verify modem support in puppy 4(.1/.2). We might even find an obscure bug in the process, so I thank you in advance for your patience with any problems.

If we have problems even with the standard kernel (2.6.30.5), we may need to find a later version of one or two drivers that are available in another thread. But first things first.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#116 Post by BarryK »

rerwin wrote:These packages represent my latest, best effort up to the point where Barry has redesigned much of my work, in Wary 5. I plan to support puppy 4 as long as there is interest in it. Your effort with these packages will be helpful to me (and the community) to verify modem support in puppy 4(.1/.2). We might even find an obscure bug in the process, so I thank you in advance for your patience with any problems.
I don't think Lucid 5.2-beta is using zzz.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Insomniacno1

#117 Post by Insomniacno1 »

rerwin wrote:Insomniacno1,
As I just now re-read your earlier posting, the thought occurred to me to use 4.2.1 to set up the HD with gparted the way you want it, then boot 4.3.1 to use the drive. You are way ahead of me on that! The packages should also work with 4.3.2, although I have not verified that with the retro kernel. I suspect that there are old USB-modem drivers in it, if any at all. But once you have the drive partitioned and formatted, I would think the regular 4.3.2 or 4.3.1 should work.
The 4.3.1 does not recognize the hdd, no matter what version I have used. Then it does not matter if I use 4.2.1 to set up the HDD with Gparted. Only retro version with 2.6.21.7 kernel will work with this laptop, I sure hope Barry will make retro versions of the new Puppies since we are a few with old laptops that like to try the new stuff:)
rerwin wrote: You do not need the packages beyond the first page, as they have been included in the ones I indicate here:

pup_event_backend_modprobe_fix_to_p43x-5.8.pet
modem_fix_pack_delta-6_to_8.pet
modem_fix_pack_delta-8_to_9.pet
usb-modeswitch-data-20101202.pet
usb-modeswitch-1.1.4.pet

This order is good, although I think only the 6-to-8 and 8-to-9 packages require that order (for the obvious reason).
Richard
As I type this, I'm just about to install in the proposed order:) I made a try myself before, with installing all the files you have uploade except the Agere and that ended up with that I had to reinstall Puppy, because connection wizard no longer worked:(

Hope this will:)

JBJ

Insomniacno1

#118 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Small Problem, the modem is not being detected:( I'm using the same USB port as I did when running Peppermint.

Some screenshots attached.

Right now I'm using my WI-fi usb to write this:)

Is there something I missed, I installed all the files in the order you mentioned:)

How to do the Pmodemdiag?

Is there any USB tool that need to be installed?

JBJ
Attachments
2.jpg
(149.94 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
1.jpg
(130.76 KiB) Downloaded 554 times

rerwin

#119 Post by rerwin »

Insomniacno1,
I suspect the problem is that the really-retro (2.6.21) kernel does not have drivers that support your modem. If there are any, at all, they probably don't recognize relatively recent wireless modems. Technosaurus has had to build updated versions for the 2.6.30 kernel and maybe even for 2.6.25. But I don't recall seeing anything about 2.6.21 drivers.

Can you give me a link to the download of the puppy you are using? I cannot find 4.3.2 retro in any searches, forum or google. Then I could confirm my suspicion.
Richard

Insomniacno1

#120 Post by Insomniacno1 »

rerwin wrote:Insomniacno1,
I suspect the problem is that the really-retro (2.6.21) kernel does not have drivers that support your modem. If there are any, at all, they probably don't recognize relatively recent wireless modems. Technosaurus has had to build updated versions for the 2.6.30 kernel and maybe even for 2.6.25. But I don't recall seeing anything about 2.6.21 drivers.

Can you give me a link to the download of the puppy you are using? I cannot find 4.3.2 retro in any searches, forum or google. Then I could confirm my suspicion.
Richard
Hello again, here is the link:

http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/dima/ ... o-puppies/

It is the pup-432-retro-retro-2.6.21.7.iso I was using since I read on the net that the 2.6.25.16 kernel would not work with my laptop.

Since I could not get it to work, I have (for now, until there is a Puppy way), installed Tinyme(Unity linux) and funny enough that one works with wifi and Huawei e1552(had to install usb_mosdeswitch and ad a conf file).
(If someone tries this then, after install, log out and log in with LXDE desktop instead of the default - say yes to make LXDE default - it is way faster)

But I really like to get Puppy working so please let me know if there is any development in this case.

Thanx for all your help:)

JBJ

rerwin

USB-modeswitch upgrade to 1.1.6

#121 Post by rerwin »

I am attaching an adapted version of the usb-modeswitch 1.1.6 function that includes the puppy interfaces to 1.1.6. It contains little new functionality, but has internal changes that need to be verified as not having regressed.

The main difference is that it utilizes all of the official components instead of using my substitute for the dispatcher (wrapper) script. That avoids dual maintenance of the wrappers.

The part I cannot test is the executable program that caused a problem in 1.1.5 and may or may not have been fixed in 1.1.6. I need someone to try this new package and report whether the executable actually creates and uses the expected ttyUSB ports (beyond 0 and 1, which are always present in puppy). Please send/post a pmodemdiag file if you encounter a problem.

EDIT: Since there are no reports of problems with 1.1.6, I have moved the package from here to the first message in this thread.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 02 Feb 2011, 04:05, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

Bug fix for pup_event_backend_modprobe level 5.8

#122 Post by rerwin »

Thanks to Toy4's testing with the latest modem updates -- and his sending me a pmodemdiag file -- I discovered a bug in the 5.8 version of ...backend_modprobe. It impacts the automatic detection of the modem because the script may crash (invisibly) as it tries to load the modem driver. The fix was simple and I have replaced the 5.8 version with 5.8.2, at the beginning of this thread.

If you have to probe to get the modem detected, this fix may correct that.
Richard

rerwin

Upgrade packages updated

#123 Post by rerwin »

The packages at the beginning of this thread have been updated to "level 10". They include the above transition to modeswitch 1.1.6 and its dispatcher (thus the number bump). Since no one has reported difficulty with 1.1.6, I am removing the workaround from the thread. Please speak up if 1.1.6 causes a problem.
Richard

rerwin

Upgrade package minor updates

#124 Post by rerwin »

I have replaced the "modem 8-to-10" and pup_event packages, to further wrap up my development of them. The first corrects DGC USB modem detection, where it checks the messages log for evidence of such a modem. Pup_event_backend_modprobe...5.9 cleans up part of the module loading logic and removes unused "protect" options (after some simplification mods).

Module loading now keeps the blacklist in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file (as in Wary), but does not create extra blacklist...conf files while determining preferences and usb_storage alternatives, instead copying all effective blacklist entries to a process-specific file to which the temporary blacklist items are appended. This avoid potential interference with loading of other modules. In addition, processing of event-rule-invoked loading is corrected to avoid preference processing, because a valid modalias is not present for such processing.

As usual, please report any regression in function. Thank you.
Richard

rerwin

Caution regarding the pup_event...5.9 package and woof!

#125 Post by rerwin »

I did not mention that I included an updated /usr/sbin/remasterpup2 in the "5.9" package. It is a special version for remastering an upgraded pup made from an original 4.3.1 CD and does not contain the latest developments found in wary, particularly relating to the simplified puppy names. But if those changes are not official, the included remasterpup2 should be OK for users who update with 5.9.

However, it is not appropriate for inclusion in woof. Barry, please do not use the 5.9 remasterpup2 in woof.
Richard