How to use Conexant PCI DI5633 modem?

haXor

How to use Conexant PCI DI5633 modem?

#1 Post by haXor »

I'm unable to find a Pup version that has a full working modem driver. The driver in 4.3.1 is "crippled" at 14.4. The modem chip is the Conexant Smart HCF P9573-11.

Any help is appreciated.

haXor

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Conexant free drivers are crippled by Conexant because of corporate greed.

You have to use their expensive proprietary drivers to get past that.

Better idea: get a modem that isn't Conexant based.

haXor

Hum'

#3 Post by haXor »

That’s not very nice of Conexant. I can’t believe there’s no work around. Since Linux is “open source

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

If this is the modem I think it is, don't fight it. Find yourself a Linux compatible box.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

haXor

modem driver

#5 Post by haXor »

Semme,

I've always enjoyed the challenge of a "work around" to a PC problem until now. I've imaged 5 different Pup's to no avail over a few lines of code. So I'll change my question to "what version of any Linux O's has the code I need that will drive this modem at full speed on the intertubes?" Conexant can't be that foolish.

Thx,

haXor

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

A Ferrari with a blown motor is nowhere near as fast as a Pinto with one that runs.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

All the advice you have been given is sound.

Don't fight it.
And I'm a stubborn bugger who hates giving in.

There are always fights but not always solutions.

Chris.

haXor

I'll take that advice

#8 Post by haXor »

Thanks folks. FYI, I rebuilt my passing mothers 1999 desktop HP that cost $1,700 then. I confess I really don't want to put another dime in it. I have Winblows on one partition that makes the Conexant scream @ 44k tweaked with Speedguide's TCPOptimizer.. Oh, and if you know how to use it you can achieve speed that well exceeds 44k with no dropped packets!

On the other partitions I have 3 Pup's; 2 are useless, however Pup 4.3.1 works at 1/4 speed on the intertubes. I can live with that I guess while using the Winblows partition for higher speed Internet.

It's rewarding enough to know I've done all I can to find a full speed Linux modem driver for the Pup side of the HD.

Again, thanks for the advice.

haXor

HP Pavilion desktop
P3 850mhz overclocked to 1000mhz
512 ram
80 gb hd
DVD and Ultra speed CD
128 vid card

haXor

modem drivers

#9 Post by haXor »

Is there a listing of modem drivers for each Pup? If so, what is the link? If I buy another box I would want to know the Pup drivers fully support the modem.

haXor