Fatdog64-500 final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#81 Post by jamesbond »

smokey, mhwaveedit is now on the repository. Initially I was reluctant to have mhwaveedit because I already have audacity, but after compilation - there is no contest, audacity is 5MB pet while mhwaveedit is only 340K, so yeah let's give it a chance :D

Oh yes, to address your earlier question, all the SFS (except the 32-bit compatibilty libs) have menu items ... when they are added, the menu will appear. If they don't appear, there is something very funny indeed (there are reports about menu items not showing). As for desktop items - there isn't any puppy-standard way of doing that (there was an attempt by Barry before, in 3.x days, but sure whether it's still working today). If they already appear on the menu, I don't see why we need the desktop icons.

Brian, your card is detected, and it should work. As kirk mentioned, you only need to use the Multiple Soundcard Wizard to get it working.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#82 Post by jamesbond »

Updated wine.sfs to version 1.2 as compiled by green_dome.
Uploaded dosbox 0.74
Uploaded fxlinuxprint - printer drivers for FujiXerox printers
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

smokey01

#83 Post by smokey01 »

jamesbond wrote:smokey, mhwaveedit is now on the repository. Initially I was reluctant to have mhwaveedit because I already have audacity, but after compilation - there is no contest, audacity is 5MB pet while mhwaveedit is only 340K, so yeah let's give it a chance :D

Oh yes, to address your earlier question, all the SFS (except the 32-bit compatibilty libs) have menu items ... when they are added, the menu will appear. If they don't appear, there is something very funny indeed (there are reports about menu items not showing). As for desktop items - there isn't any puppy-standard way of doing that (there was an attempt by Barry before, in 3.x days, but sure whether it's still working today). If they already appear on the menu, I don't see why we need the desktop icons.

cheers!
Thanks

jamesbond

#84 Post by jamesbond »

Uploaded SFS for hugin, the panorama stitcher.

blestina

No Sound

#85 Post by blestina »

jamesbond wrote:smokey, mhwaveedit is now on the repository. Initially I was reluctant to have mhwaveedit because I already have audacity, but after compilation - there is no contest, audacity is 5MB pet while mhwaveedit is only 340K, so yeah let's give it a chance :D

Brian, your card is detected, and it should work. As kirk mentioned, you only need to use the Multiple Soundcard Wizard to get it working.

cheers!
I tried all your steps....

It would not Remember my Sound Card...

No Sound Icon, No Sound...

I took the card out and re enabled MB Audio..... Works fine.... :):)

Fatdog64 don't like my Sound Card... :(:(

It is a Sound Blaster Audigy SE.....

It works fine in Windows, Ubuntu, Lighthouse Pup.....

Weird.....

I got he Multi-Session CD working.....

Had to write it from a Linux Burner Software, Not Windows.....:(:(

How do I save .SFS files to a Multi-Session CD???

Fatddog64 won't let me.... :(:(:(

Thanks

Brian

gcmartin

Using repositories for fatdog64

#86 Post by gcmartin »

Can you guarantee that ONLY 64bit packages get installed on FATDOG64
I want to add 2 packages that I consider extremely useful to me. I am interested in adding iftop, latencytop, and iotop to my running LiveCD and frugal running FatDOG64.
  1. BUT, How do I insure that I am installing AMD64 versions of the software via the package manager?
  2. Is the package manager capable of insuring that ONLY 64bit packages get installed on the 64bit Linux Distro?
  3. Is there any way to guard against installing 32bit apps on a 64 bit system?
Thanks in advance for any help, or guidance in adding/installing the packages I named, above.

gcmartin

Multi-Session CD

#87 Post by gcmartin »

@blestina has asked about using a multi-session DVD and FATDOG64.
I got he Multi-Session CD working.....
Had to write it from a Linux Burner Software,
Once you've burned a multi-session DVD, whenever you shutdown or reboot, your FATDOG64 will ask you, each time, about saving your session. If you select the "save to CD" your multi-session FATDOG64 liveDVD will be updated with all the current information that is contained in your session that is being shutdown. On subsequent reboot, if you do NOT touch the keyboard, your LiveDVD will start your system and include everything that was there before your hast shutdown.

I have found this to work for me. (It may NOT be documented in this way, though.)
  1. You MUST boot your PC using the FATDOG64 LiveDVD from a DVD burner.
  2. You should get to the FATDOG64's desktop and you should do something that you want to occur each time you reboot your PC; for example, setup your LAN card.
  3. You may choose to accomplish some work while running the LiveDVD; for example type and save a work processing document.
  4. When you think its time, you will shutdown/reboot your PC. When you shutdown, you will be asked, during this time, if you want to save your work. Responding to this request will save your changes, documents, and additions onto your DVD that you booted.
I recognize that this does NOT discuss the details of what FATDOG64 is copying onto your LiveDVD, but this is "well" documented in several Puppy documents.
How do I save .SFS files to a Multi-Session CD???
Fatddog64 won't let me....
I have attempted to do this, by writing SFS files to the FATDOG64 DVD appropriately. This DID NOT WORK WHEN LIVEDVD BOOT WAS ATTEMPTED (I'm getting kernal panic errors and have been told in this forum that there is a bug in the SFS processing that occurs at boot time with LiveDVD!!! Thus far, someone else in this forum may know more about this. If its helps you, here's how I added the SFS files to the LiveDVD,here

jamesbond

#88 Post by jamesbond »

Brian, can you tell me content of /proc/asound/modules? Your soundcards are all detected, so it's a matter of setting up which one is the default - which is what the Multiple Soundcard is doing. If somehow it doesn't work for you, there is other way to do it, you'll have to edit modprobe.conf by hand, but you need to tell me content of /proc/asound/modules so that we can arrange those modules in the correct order.

gcmartin has answered your other questions about the SFS

gcmartin, the answer for that is probably no. Woof's dotpet installer, which is inherited by Fatdog, does not differentiate between puppy versions (that's why you can install quirky packages on puppeee, for example), let alone different architectures. The Puppy Package Manager (PPM) does not at this stage support this feature either. It may in the future - Barry's seems to be working hard on it now that Woof can build puplets from many other upstream distros - but not at this stage, unless someone is interested on working on it (it's not only about the PPM and dotpet, one has also look at the new2dir/dir2pet scripts which creates these dotpets ...)

If the packages you want to install are available in 32-bit only, you have two options:
a) get the source and compile as native 64-bit packages
b) get the 32-bit compatibility SFS, this SFS can help to run some (not all!) 32-bit software.
Skype, for example, is 32-bit-only software (recompiling is not an option because its source is not available), but it runs fine under Fatdog. So is the wine.sfs, it's actually 32-bit wine compiled by green_dome, but it works okay under Fatdog too, with the 32-bit compatibility library installed.

gcmartin

Using repositories for fatdog64

#89 Post by gcmartin »

@jamesbond Thank you very much. (I PM'd you for advice)
If the packages you want to install are available in 32-bit only, you have two options:
b) get the 32-bit compatibility SFS, this SFS can help to run some (not all!) 32-bit software.
Following this explanation, it would seem prudent that I add the "32-bit compatibility SFS" to my FATDOG64 LiveCD to be used at boot time so that when using the repositories, this could provide some insulation of the potential negative impact that 32 bit software may pose when added to the running FATDOG64.

jamesbond

#90 Post by jamesbond »

Well yeah, if you plan to use pets compiled for other puppies, the 32-bit library becomes mandatory :D

blestina

#91 Post by blestina »

jamesbond wrote:Brian, can you tell me content of /proc/asound/modules? Your soundcards are all detected, so it's a matter of setting up which one is the default - which is what the Multiple Soundcard is doing. If somehow it doesn't work for you, there is other way to do it, you'll have to edit modprobe.conf by hand, but you need to tell me content of /proc/asound/modules so that we can arrange those modules in the correct order.

gcmartin has answered your other questions about the SFS

gcmartin, the answer for that is probably no. Woof's dotpet installer, which is inherited by Fatdog, does not differentiate between puppy versions (that's why you can install quirky packages on puppeee, for example), let alone different architectures. The Puppy Package Manager (PPM) does not at this stage support this feature either. It may in the future - Barry's seems to be working hard on it now that Woof can build puplets from many other upstream distros - but not at this stage, unless someone is interested on working on it (it's not only about the PPM and dotpet, one has also look at the new2dir/dir2pet scripts which creates these dotpets ...)

Skype, for example, is 32-bit-only software (recompiling is not an option because its source is not available), but it runs fine under Fatdog. So is the wine.sfs, it's actually 32-bit wine compiled by green_dome, but it works okay under Fatdog too, with the 32-bit compatibility library installed.

/proc/asound/modules

0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_hda_intel

This is from the working one...

No sound card, MB Audio

MY PC wont open /proc/asound/modules
with sound card pluggedin it locksup and makes me pwr off.....

Brian

I will try again tomorrow....

EDIT

I rebooted a New CD Fatdog64 Final - Live CD - Not MS

/proc/asound/modules

0 snd_hda_intel
1 snd_hda_intel
2 snd_pcsp

Having a problem with Multi-Session CD/DVD

Brian

jamesbond

#92 Post by jamesbond »

Brian, please do the following:

1. Put your Audigy card back

2. Boot with fresh LiveCD of Fatdog64 (not previous install, make sure you don't have any leftover fd64-500.sfs, or any save file, or anything like that). Don't use existing multisession or anything - make sure to stat from a fresh copy of Fatdog64. Use pfix=ram to make sure you start from a clean slate.

3. When FD64 has booted up, use leafpad or geany, to edit this file: /etc/modprobe.conf.

4. Inside that file, find and delete these lines:

Code: Select all

options snd-pcsp index=-2
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
alias snd-card-1 snd-pcsp
alias sound-slot-1 snd-pcsp
and anything that look like it. Basically delete all lines that have snd-pcsp, snd-hda-intel, and snd-ca0106 in it.

5. Insert the following lines, then save the file:

options snd-ca0106 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=-2
options snd-pcsp index=-4
alias snd-card-0 snd-ca0106
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ca0106
6. Reboot, and make sure you keep a save file. The boot again, this time use the savefile you've kept before.

7. See if sound works through your Audigy now. Open terminal and run alsamixer, see if you can adjust the volume up and down as required. If it's still not working, please attach output of /proc/asound/cards and /proc/asound/modules again, as well as your /etc/modprobe.conf

I don't have (or ever have) Audigy, and from googling it seems that you need to run special software to configure its speaker output. But give the above, and alsamixer, a try. If the above still doesn't work, we'll have to be content with motherboard sound (which isn't easy as well because now we have to put two idential snd-hda-intel driver in the correct order!).

Gook luck.

blestina

#93 Post by blestina »

jamesbond wrote:Brian, please do the following:

1. Put your Audigy card back

2. Boot with fresh LiveCD of Fatdog64 (not previous install, make sure you don't have any leftover fd64-500.sfs, or any save file, or anything like that). Don't use existing multisession or anything - make sure to stat from a fresh copy of Fatdog64. Use pfix=ram to make sure you start from a clean slate.

3. When FD64 has booted up, use leafpad or geany, to edit this file: /etc/modprobe.conf.

4. Inside that file, find and delete these lines:

options snd-pcsp index=-2
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
alias snd-card-1 snd-pcsp
alias sound-slot-1 snd-pcsp
and anything that look like it. Basically delete all lines that have snd-pcsp, snd-hda-intel, and snd-ca0106 in it.

5. Insert the following lines, then save the file:

options snd-ca0106 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=-2
options snd-pcsp index=-4
alias snd-card-0 snd-ca0106
alias sound-slot-0 snd-ca0106
6. Reboot, and make sure you keep a save file. The boot again, this time use the savefile you've kept before.

7. See if sound works through your Audigy now. Open terminal and run alsamixer, see if you can adjust the volume up and down as required. If it's still not working, please attach output of /proc/asound/cards and /proc/asound/modules again, as well as your /etc/modprobe.conf

I don't have (or ever have) Audigy, and from googling it seems that you need to run special software to configure its speaker output. But give the above, and alsamixer, a try. If the above still doesn't work, we'll have to be content with motherboard sound (which isn't easy as well because now we have to put two idential snd-hda-intel driver in the correct order!).

Gook luck.
Jamesbond....

Thanks...

for now...

I will just leave sound card out...

I can't tell the difference....

For now...

Lets just make all the other parts work....

This Sound Card stuff ......

I had the same problem in Ubuntu 64....

I switched back to Ubuntu 32 the sound card works fine....

Please keep up the good work...

Thanks for the help....

Brian

fatdog64kudos

devx on CD

#94 Post by fatdog64kudos »

kirk,

You gave the following instructions to Wognath on 7 July 2010, but the devx sfs seems to be a different animal. Can you tell how to use the method described for the devx sfs so that it may be included in the main sfs file. I have used the method for other sfs files successfully. Thank you for your information and help. FatDog64 is marvelous :)

Wognath,

You can try booting with pfix=nox again, and then you can type xorgwizard-old. Fatdog64 doesn't have Xvesa, but you might want to try the vesa Xorg driver. You might have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Driver "vesa" #card0driver

You can do this from the terminal with mp or I think you can edit xorg.conf with the xorgwizard-old.

gcmartin,

If you want you could combine which ever sfs files together and then remake the iso, it's not too hard.

1) Make a folder named build and then copy all the files from your Fatdog64-500 CD to it.

2) Make a folder named sfs and copy all the files from which ever sfs file you want.

2a) Click on the the sfs file so that it mounts.
2b) Open a terminal in the root of the mounted sfs (hit the ` key)
2c) Then type cp -a * /(path to sfs folder)/sfs/

3) After you copy your sfs(s) then copy the main sfs to that folder too. If you booted from the liveCD or frugal:
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro2/* /(path to sfs folder)/sfs/

4) Change to the directory that contains your new sfs folder and then make a new sfs file:

mksquashfs sfs fd64-500.sfs

5) Copy your new fd64-500.sfs to the build folder, change to directory that contains your build folder and then make a new iso:

mkisofs -J -l -D -R -allow-lowercase -allow-multidot -no-iso-translate -o ./Fatdog64-500-extra.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ./build

You can make a new folder inside the build folder and add other things you might want to store on the cd/dvd. Keep in mind that the more that you put on the cd/dvd the slower it boots and not just because the sfs file is bigger.

kirk

#95 Post by kirk »

fatdog64kudos,

What problem are you having, need some more details. Step 2a would fail if you had used the BootManager to load the devx file.

Jim1911

#96 Post by Jim1911 »

wine-1.2-i486-2.sfs doesn't work. It shows up in the menu properly and all desktop files appear to be present, however nothing happens when selected. Also, the .wine directory is not present in root which accounts for nothing working.

Thanks,
Jim

jamesbond

#97 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:wine-1.2-i486-2.sfs doesn't work. It shows up in the menu properly and all desktop files appear to be present, however nothing happens when selected. Also, the .wine directory is not present in root which accounts for nothing working.

Thanks,
Jim
Ah yes, sorry I didn't make it clear in the accompanying documentation. Wine is a 32-bit package, thus it requires the 32-bit compatibility library to run. You need to use wine.sfs together with the fd64-32bit-lib.sfs. I've updated the documentation now, thanks!

cheers!

gcmartin

Remastering FATDOG64 with additional SFSs

#98 Post by gcmartin »

@fatdog64kudos Thanks for your suggestion to remaster FATDOG64's ISO with additional SFSs.

Before I attempt this, I draw attention to your step 3) with a question:
2a) Click on the the sfs file so that it mounts.
2b) Open a terminal in the root of the mounted sfs (hit the ` key)
2c) Then type cp -a * /(path to sfs folder)/sfs/

3) After you copy your sfs(s) then copy the main sfs to that folder too. If you booted from the liveCD or frugal:
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro2/* /(path to sfs folder)/sfs/
Question: Shouldnt step3 be done BEFORE I copy all of the additional SFSs contents to the folder? I believe the order in which the SFSs contents are added would make a difference. In other words, shouldn't the base/main SFS contents be added first with any additional SFS contents added on top of the base?

Agree or Disagree....anyone
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 26 Jul 2010, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Fatdog64 final

#99 Post by Billtoo »

I used bootflash to install Fatdog to a 4gb usb flash drive.

Before installing ati-catalyst-10.5.pet :
# glxgears
2596 frames in 5.0 seconds = 519.117 FPS
2664 frames in 5.0 seconds = 532.739 FPS
2586 frames in 5.0 seconds = 517.168 FPS
2928 frames in 5.0 seconds = 585.425 FPS
2547 frames in 5.0 seconds = 509.325 FPS
#
After installing ati-catalyst-10.5.pet :
# glxgears
25776 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5155.200 FPS
28032 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5606.226 FPS
28167 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5633.345 FPS
28280 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5655.808 FPS
28132 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5626.292 FPS
#
Display
Resolution 1600x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
#
OpenGL
Vendor ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
Version 4.0.9836 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering Yes
#
I installed 4 sfs files,devx,32bit-libs,jre160,and wine-1.2.sfs
There is 1.34GB of free space left on the flash drive after resizing
the save file to 1.2 + 512mb.

This laptop would boot to the desktop fine before installing the ati-catalyst-10.5.pet
but if I tried to log off the screen would slowly dissolve
and the computer would lock up, after installing the pet all is well.
And it's fast :)
thanks.

fatdog64kudos

devx

#100 Post by fatdog64kudos »

Hello kirk,

As I recall, there was a conflict between copying the lib64 folder and the lib64 link which points to lib. BUT I will go through the exercise again tonight so that I may clarify the situation. I hope to either succeed or be able to clearly pinpoint the exact problem. I don't want to waste your time on an incompletely phrased question :)

Again, Thanks for a great version of puppy and for all your help !

PS One other side point regarding devx and/or puppy in general is the lack of "included" man pages.