Fatdog64-500 final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

#16 Post by Jim1911 »

jamesbond wrote:Jim1911, can you try booting (with a new save file) with only go-oo as the SFS? (of course after ensuring that the md5sum all matches). I'm running with go-oo and don't have that issue, but I did have a similar issue (the OO icons are not showing in the start menu) which resolves itself after a while (that is, after I installed a few pets, install/remove sfs), so I suspect it may be related to aufs layering.

Also, when you say the pets cannot be installed - do you mean that they install but cannot be used, or that they don't show up in the menu, or they do show up in the menu but do nothing when you try to execute them? Do you download them directly from the pets/500 site, or do you use the package manager?
Fresh installation with new iso. OpenOffice applications do not show up in menu even after the desktop files were edited to include complete path for both the icon and exec. I copied over the desktop files from /opt/openoffice.org3/share/xdg and edited them. Although the symlinked files would execute the program, they would not show up in menu and there were no icons so I just deleted them.

The pets were downloaded from the default home page link. The same error (see desktop photo) is present regardless of pet selected. Ppm opens but does not contain any repository information so that's not a download option. I did successfully install a numlockx.pet that I already had on my computer.

Cheers,
Jim
Last edited by Jim1911 on Wed 07 Jul 2010, 01:09, edited 2 times in total.

Wognath

Fails to boot

#17 Post by Wognath »

Hello,
I'm interested in trying this new puppy on my VIA Nano laptop. However, the boot proceeds as far as "loading kernel modules", then the screen goes black. I'll appreciate any suggestions to try. Thanks.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

Does the VIA Nano have a 64-bit processor? If not, I don't think it can run Fatdog Puppy.

Have you tried booting a live CD of Fatdog in this machine?

kirk

#19 Post by kirk »

Jim1911,

Make sure that you download the pet package and then click on it. If you try to run petget from Firefox, petget will be ran as user spot and won't be able to install anything. To use the package manager, you'll need to click on "Configure package manager" and then "Update now" to download a new package list.

jamesbond

#20 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911, that's very odd, I can't replicate the problem over here. Yes I have missing icons on the go-oo, but the menu (the text) always shows up fine.

EDIT: the icon problem can by solved by running update-gtk-icon-cache, so it's not aufs layering problem.

EDIT: kirk's reply is more appropriate for the PPM and pet problem :) - he posted when I was still typing

Wognath, I checked, VIA Nano seems to support x86_64, so it should work. I suspect yours if more of a video problem. Can you tell me what graphics chip in your laptop?

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Roy

#21 Post by Roy »

Hey guys, thanks for this one!

I just installed it on a friend's desktop and (with the newest nvidia driver from your repo), it works great. Just one small hitch on my end, though:

Firefox, when run from Terminal, automatically downloads to ~/spot/Downloads/ without asking. I can appreciate that as a security feature but have selected the suggested option to have that download folder located in the base filesystem... well, actually I put it (one directory deep) in a 'FatDog64' directory. But this works when run from terminal.

However, when I run firefox or the default browser from menu or lower task bar, only Spot and Desktop are presented as optional locations and I cannot choose ~/Spot/Downloads/ at all. Notice that it gives me an option when NOT run from the terminal?

How can I restore the Spot security feature when running from menu or lower task bar default browser icon?

The sfs files are not detected when located in the same 'FatDog64' directory, even though the .iso sfs and save file work from inside that directory. They optional sfs' are only detected when outside of any directories (in the base file system).

ttuuxxx wrote (in the Transmission thread):
you might want to tell users if they add this line
application/x-bittorrent; /usr/bin/transmission "%s"
to /etc/mailcap then when you click on a torrent Firefox and I think Seamonkey will give you the options to open the torrent in Transmission.
...and I added that line into /etc/mailcap on my friend's setup. I have not tested it, but am rather hoping that Transmission runs as Spot also.

-Roy

jamesbond

#22 Post by jamesbond »

Roy wrote:Firefox, when run from Terminal
When you run firefox from terminal, you're running firefox as root. The menu actually executes firefox-spot, which runs firefox as the user spot. The preferences, settings etc for root and spot are stored indepedently. If you run firefox from terminal (which runs it as root), you must choose Edit - Preferences - General settings again to set the download location (or whether to always prompt for it). Note that when you run as spot, unless you play with the permission, there isn't a lot of directories to choose from where you can save downloads - spot has very limited privilege by design.
The sfs files are not detected when located in the same 'FatDog64' directory, even though the .iso sfs and save file work from inside that directory. They optional sfs' are only detected when outside of any directories (in the base file system).
My understanding is that this has always been in the case with other puppies as well ...
ttuuxxx wrote (in the Transmission thread):
you might want to tell users if they add this line
application/x-bittorrent; /usr/bin/transmission "%s"
to /etc/mailcap then when you click on a torrent Firefox and I think Seamonkey will give you the options to open the torrent in Transmission.
...and I added that line into /etc/mailcap on my friend's setup. I have not tested it, but am rather hoping that Transmission runs as Spot also.
It should run as spot if firefox is already running as spot. Firefox cannot escalate the privilege and run Transmission as root :D

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Roy

#23 Post by Roy »

Jamesbond,

Thank you for responding, but I think you misunderstood my post -- or I do not understand this "feature"....

When running Firefox from the menu, it is supposed to run as Spot with downloads saved in ~/Spot/Downloads, yes?

My setup is not doing that! I'll try to attach a couple of screenshots for clarification.

How do I make Firefox download to ~?Spot/Downloads/ ? Is it just that my Downloads folder is one directory (too) deep? If I move it, how do I redirect Firefox to it? Inquiring minds want to know....

-Roy
Attachments
screenshot1.png
(124.77 KiB) Downloaded 1018 times
screenshot.png
(96.07 KiB) Downloaded 1007 times

Wognath

VIA Nano processor

#24 Post by Wognath »

Flash and Jamesbond, thanks for the replies.
Frugal install on hard drive and live CD give same results. All goes well until "loading kernel modules", then screen goes dark. Requires poweroff (it barks when I press the power button!) The video card is VIA Chrome 9 H3 IGP. On other puppies, xorg doesn't display right, so I use xvesa. I haven't had a blank screen before though. Is there a way to bypass the xorg autoconfigure? I tried pfix=nox, but again no image. Thanks
Last edited by Wognath on Wed 07 Jul 2010, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Adding SFSs to the FATDOG64 CD/DVD

#25 Post by gcmartin »

I would like to add the current FATDOG64 SFSs to the DVD so that when it boots, it will find and load them, as well, into my system's ram (I have more than enough space to carry my testing)..

I have burned the DVD as a multi-session DVD. My questions:
  1. When I boot the DVD, can I just copy the SFSs to the DVD?
  2. Into what folder should I place the SFSs or should they just be added to DVD's root?
    Or,
  3. is there another way you would recommend to getting a bootable DVD with the SFSs stored so that when FATDOG64 boots, it can find-and-load them?
I am not sure if one can write directly to a multi-session DVD.
Thanks in advance and thanks for your efforts.

P.S. This AMD X2 4600 screams on boot up and in operation. Well done.

Roy

#26 Post by Roy »

gcmartin, I'm afraid I can't tell you how to do what you want to do successfully, but I might be able to save you some time by telling you what will not work....

I tried opening up the .iso and adding the optional sfs files to the same place that Puppy's primary .sfs file resides. That was with a different version than what this thread is about, but it did not work.

I could, however, keep the additional sfs files on a thumbdrive which was plugged in when I booted off of the CD/DVD, but that really didn't save any effort or resources that wouldn't be used with a regular (frugal) USB-stick installation.

With any luck, somebody else might chime in with a positive example of something that does work as you intend....

-Roy

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#27 Post by Flash »

Rats, I thought adding the sfs file to the iso would do it. :?

Well, you can theoretically add an sfs file to the DVD as a separate session with its own title. Here's how I add entire directories to a multisession DVD. I suppose you'll have to modify it if you want to add just a file rather than a directory, but how hard can it be? :lol:

kirk

#28 Post by kirk »

Roy,
When running Firefox from the menu, it is supposed to run as Spot with downloads saved in ~/Spot/Downloads, yes?
Yes it should, try booting with:

puppy pfix=ram

and see if that works. When you shutdown the first time and make a save file, you'll be asked if you want to move the Downloads folder to the same place as your save file. If you answer yes, then /Spot/Downloads is a symlink. Also make sure that you don't already have a folder named Downloads in the same place as your save file when shutting down the first time.

Wognath,

You can try booting with pfix=nox again, and then you can type xorgwizard-old. Fatdog64 doesn't have Xvesa, but you might want to try the vesa Xorg driver. You might have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Driver "vesa" #card0driver

You can do this from the terminal with mp or I think you can edit xorg.conf with the xorgwizard-old.

gcmartin,

If you want you could combine which ever sfs files together and then remake the iso, it's not too hard.

1) Make a folder named build and then copy all the files from your Fatdog64-500 CD to it.

2) Make a folder named sfs and copy all the files from which ever sfs file you want.

2a) Click on the the sfs file so that it mounts.
2b) Open a terminal in the root of the mounted sfs (hit the ` key)
2c) Then type cp -a * /(path to sfs folder)/sfs/

3) After you copy your sfs(s) then copy the main sfs to that folder too. If you booted from the liveCD or frugal:
cp -a /initrd/pup_ro2/* /(path to sfs folder)/sfs/

4) Change to the directory that contains your new sfs folder and then make a new sfs file:

mksquashfs sfs fd64-500.sfs

5) Copy your new fd64-500.sfs to the build folder, change to directory that contains your build folder and then make a new iso:

mkisofs -J -l -D -R -allow-lowercase -allow-multidot -no-iso-translate -o ./Fatdog64-500-extra.iso -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ./build

You can make a new folder inside the build folder and add other things you might want to store on the cd/dvd. Keep in mind that the more that you put on the cd/dvd the slower it boots and not just because the sfs file is bigger.

gcmartin

Fatdog64 final

#29 Post by gcmartin »

@kirk Thank you, I intend to use this as my model for remastering my DVD to include OOo, WINE, and JRE SFSs.

Another thought occurred to me as I was looking over FATDOG64's Firefox Home page (file:///usr/share/doc/home.htm) that comes with the system. It says:
Click here for sfs files. A sfs file is filesytem that is mereged with your normal file system at boot. The fd64-devx_xxx.sfs file contains the GCC compiler, python, kernel source, headers, ect..; everthing you need to compile stuff. To use it, download it and move it to the same location as your save file, then go to Menu-System-Bootmanager and choose which sfs file to load during boot.
Suppose I followed this approach, and saved my work to my DVD via FATDOG's Shutdown procedure:
  1. On subsequent boots would I have a system containing the additional functionality of the 3 SFSs?
  2. Is this another approach to getting a bootable system with the additional functionality? (or does this ONLY work for fd64-devx_xxx.sfs )
Thanks in advance for any guidance

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#30 Post by Lobster »

Kirk and JamesBond, fellow Fatdog 64 biters,

What an achievement, Puppy plus great software additions (hence the fat)
all compiled for 64bit computers only :D

Lobster initial impressions
- Straight to desktop - sweet as a nut
- Connect to internet - click on network-wizard and Ethernet
(I think Lucid 5.0 - since revoked in 5.01)
and possibly Fluppy can auto-connect Ethernet and DHCP without user intervention)
but this was easier than standard Puppy's such as 4.3.1 or Quirky - very easy two clicks 8)

Thanks for hotfix on display for package manager :)

'all' not working on package manager whilst some categories working
restarted package manager and all displaying
including multimedia which was previously one of the 'no displaying'

Error failed to download when trying to install Openshot
so went here http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... /pets/500/
and downloaded manually - remember you will need the python pet too for Openshot
that worked OK
the two depositories are given the same name - which looks like a
an error as the second depositary is fd-64-mirror_1 or some such . . .

I will be using Openshot to create something on my 3 day cycling
and camping along the Thames path
Everything feels a little bit snappier in Fatdog
and I am so pleased to be using the fruits of your hard work.

Appreciated!

Woof woof 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jim1911

#31 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk wrote:Jim1911,Make sure that you download the pet package and then click on it. If you try to run petget from Firefox, petget will be ran as user spot and won't be able to install anything. To use the package manager, you'll need to click on "Configure package manager" and then "Update now" to download a new package list.
You corrected me on installing pets on one of the earlier versions, and I had forgotten. :oops:

I did get ppm to update, when I finally noticed faint white characters against the yellow background. As you can see in the attached picture there isn't any contrast.

Thanks again,
Jim

kirk

#32 Post by kirk »

Jim,

Somehow I missed fixing that petget terminal screen. Jamesbond posted a fix on page one of this thread.

nancy reagan

#33 Post by nancy reagan »

No announcement on "Derivatives' ?

(I am no 64 biter though just to remind you just in case.)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#34 Post by Flash »

I agree with Nancy. Isn't it time for this thread to be moved to the Puppy Derivatives section?

oui

#35 Post by oui »

Hi

The last RC version of Fatdog64 that I did use, did work very well on my laptop Acer AMD64 emachines 2 Gb RAM 150 Gb HD.

The final will not work. No internet connection, nothing to do...

The choice of programs is really different of those of puppy. Ok, it is good for the satisfaction of the creator and his private point of view about the ideal software but not ideal for hard puppy lovers. Puppy is not as the other distributions.

At this point it is a real deception to read "final"... The signification is that a real Puppy for 64 bit machines will never come and that in houses where we use different computers because we did buy them at different time it will not be possible to have exactly the same but with the adequate software according to the type of processor to use it best?

Bye