Empty Crust RC is up.

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Leon

#16 Post by Leon »

1. Solving problems at booting Empty Crust from Win98SE using Grub

I was increasing the number of ramdisk_size step by step and found this ramdisk_size to boot properly:

root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=16169

Here is my menu.lst:

default 0
timeout 0
title Puppy-1.0.7e
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=16169 PFILE=pupMINI-none-262144
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/image.gz
boot

2. Dillo

I like a view when menu, navigation buttons and address bar are placed in one single row to increase the space for displayed web contents. With double click somewhere inside the window it is also possible to hide/show menu and status bar.

Here are some /root/.dillo/dillorc settings:

panel_size=TINY
small_icons=YES
fullwindow_start=NO

Here is my /root/.dillo/dillorc:

geometry=640x550
use_dicache=NO
vw_fontname=helvetica
fw_fontname=courier
show_tooltip=YES
limit_text_width=NO
home=http://www.dillo.org/
bg_color=white
text_color=black
link_color=blue
force_my_colors=NO
force_visited_color=YES
panel_size=TINY
small_icons=YES
fullwindow_start=NO
transient_dialogs=NO
enterpress_forces_submit=YES
generate_submit=NO

Here is another example and some explanations of dillorc:
http://tao.uab.es/cgi-bin/archzoom.cgi/ ... c?annotate

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Empty Crust RC is up.

#17 Post by Lobster »

Pizzasgood wrote: It uses pupMINI as the pupfile.
Weird - I tried to delete pupMINI - after 2 minutes of frenzied disk activity it was still there? (should take a few seconds at most) Any reason you might know of? It seems like extreme fragmentation - possiibly? The deleting was using up all my CPU power so restarted jwm and then restarted xorg.

Is Empty Crust a compulsory OS :wink:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

PeterSieg

emptycrust id great!

#18 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi, just test drove ecp107. looks great! nice background! good work!

Thanks, PS
Have fun :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#19 Post by BarryK »

Hey guys,
If you want a very nice surprise with Dillo, start it like this:

Code: Select all

# LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libgdkxft.so dillo

bombayrockers

#20 Post by bombayrockers »

gdkxft is not safe as it is an abandoned project. It crashes gtk2 based apps. I have had my fair share of crashes when trying to get xft running for gtk1.

bombayrockers

#21 Post by bombayrockers »

I just finished downloading empty crust. I am writing this post from empty crust and the great news is that i am posting from konqueror. usr_more.sfs (kde) seems to be working with empty crust though it needs more testing.

Rhino

#22 Post by Rhino »

Nice work Pizzaqsgood! I like the Pizzapup a lot. It serves as a great base for customizing my own distro.

I did have some dificulties with CD burning...probably mostly due to my lack of experience. My difficulties were in tracking down dependencies for most of the burning applications.

Does anyone have Bashburn working with it yet...I have an ATAPI all-in-one cd/dvd burner combo drive? I think it will work if I can get the drive location correct :-/ I think Bashburn would be a great utility for EC107.

I also had some trouble getting the remaster scripts to work. I wanted to make my own iso with just my apps on it, but had little success.

For the most part though, with some setup, I got everything to work nicely.

I used OSS Sound, Installed Java (2x larger than EC107), connected to my wireless network, installed AMAYA, installed Wink, installed the Flock browser, installed flash, and ran Thinkfree Office and Meebo from desktop links. Everything worked great...my own customized Puppy!

I was able to mount usr_more.sfs and run Open Office from /mnt/home :-) as well as connect to my home network with LinNeighborhood.

Super Job! Once I get cd burning sorted out, I will be all set!

THANKS

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#23 Post by GuestToo »

Does anyone have Bashburn working with it yet
i have BashBurn running in Puppy 1.0.7 ... screenshot

i haven't used it much ... it seems to create a temporary iso file like Graveman does ... i prefer to pipe mkisofs to cdrecord so i don't need the space to store a temporary 700 meg file, so i wrote my own script to burn data cds

one thing ... BashBurn uses setterm -clear to clear the rxvt screen, which Puppy does not have, so i wrote a script called setterm which i put in my-applications/bin

#!/bin/sh
[ "$1" = "-clear" ] && clear

i have a BashBurn 1.6 dotpup package on my dotpups page ... i haven't upgraded it to 1.7 yet

Rhino

#24 Post by Rhino »

Great...then I just need to mess with it to configure it for my burner. From what I tried the other night, I really liked its simplicity :D

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#25 Post by Lobster »

BarryK wrote:Hey guys,
If you want a very nice surprise with Dillo, start it like this:

new_gtk_browser
        menu bar
        tool bar
        location bar
        status bar

(dillo:1017): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_lookup_extended: assertion `hash_ta                                           ble != NULL' failed

(dillo:1017): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_hash_table_insert: assertion `hash_table != NU                                           LL' failed
Segmentation fault
# 
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

sunburnt

#26 Post by sunburnt »

Great to hear your close to the finish line, I just dnld it, ~2 min. at ~755 KBS, smokin!
I'll look at it quickly to see what's been done, but I think I've got a good idea already.
Looks to be a great start for building Puppy versions geared toward special purposes.
As you said... to strip it more just wouldn't produce a much smaller Puppy.
Hopefully Puppy 2 won't change the whole ball game for everyone & the projects they're working on.

bombayrockers

#27 Post by bombayrockers »

Lobster,

I quote myself
gdkxft is not safe as it is an abandoned project. It crashes gtk2 based apps. I have had my fair share of crashes when trying to get xft running for gtk1.

Delboy

#28 Post by Delboy »

Emptycrust boots up fine on my PC box. Although it fails on my old laptop: 'Poor man's install' using the regular 4 x files in C:\ dos partition on the hard disk and boot floppy method. Using both 'wakepup' and 'boot2pup' I get a "kernel panic" message and it freezes.
However, the same laptop / method and full Puppy version 1.7 files boots up fine to the Gui using the latest 'Wakepup' floppy. I wonder what has changed in Empty crust?

Pizzasgood

#29 Post by Pizzasgood »

Using both 'wakepup' and 'boot2pup' I get a "kernel panic" message and it freezes.
Leon wrote:1. Solving problems at booting Empty Crust from Win98SE using Grub

I was increasing the number of ramdisk_size step by step and found this ramdisk_size to boot properly:

root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=16169

Here is my menu.lst:

default 0
timeout 0
title Puppy-1.0.7e
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram ramdisk_size=16169 PFILE=pupMINI-none-262144
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/image.gz
boot
I haven't used wakepup or any of the poor-man things lately (I find livecd + usr_cram.fs on HD sufficient), but I think those need the correct ramdisk size. That is what changed in Empty Crust. According to Leon, 16169 is enough. The RC iso uses 16194. I know the instructions above are for Grub, but the general idea applies to any bootloader. Particularily ramdisk_size=16169 is what you need an equivelant for. I can't tell you where the actual stuff to edit is, though. In the floppy somewhere.

Come to think of it, this is the same problem that happened to me way back when when I couldn't get Pizzapup to boot poor-man style on my sister's computer. I eventually just gave here a cd instead.

Glad to hear Empty Crust has been largely bugfree. I'm going to edit burniso2cd and make that background (unless people want this one), then do some final testing tonight. First I need to finish catching up on posts, though. :roll: I've written four essays this week, and started on a fifth (though this one's with a partner, so it's not so bad). Poetry, witches, Cromwell, the 30 Years War, and now The Importance of Being Earnest. It never ends. Not even when I graduate. I'll still have at least four years to go.... I guess I'll just have to think in terms of "feel the burn" :twisted:
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

costal martignier

#30 Post by costal martignier »

Pizzasgood wrote: Glad to hear Empty Crust has been largely bugfree.
sorry it isn't, and it has a serious bug (perhaps puppy has it also)!
the rc.reboot script get never executet at reboot AND at shutdown, i'm having now corrupted filesystems.
the file is never in the /tmp/ direcotory and i'm seeing on sgutdown/reboot the messager,

BUMMER: can't find /tmp/rc.reboot

also it does not use my fstab, i createdt two entrys one for swap and one for my big homedrive on /home/

and none of them gets mounted on boot.

i testet this with many crust installs, allways the same :(

i have now corrupted filesystems :(

regards
costal

Pizzasgood

#31 Post by Pizzasgood »

Well that isn't good :(

Hmmm.... Well, for the fstab stuff, does that work for you in a normal Puppy? The last time I checked, fstab wasn't persistant. Unless you have an hd install.
I only use livecd, though. I just put a script in rc.local to add entries to it and mount them.

I know nothing about swap, though. I do have a swap partition for Vector, but I don't know if Puppy uses it or not. I've never told it to though. I should look into that.

I'm going to take a look at the rc.reboot problem, then. If nothing else, it will force me to burn a couple extra isos, which will make sure my patched burniso2cd works.

Hopefully these are just crusty problems and not part of the mainline.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

costal martignier

#32 Post by costal martignier »

yes i have a crust harddisk install, and yes my fstab is persistant, but does not get "executed" or however i can say them...

i need to check if this is the same with standard puppy hdinstall...

for now i must allways manually mount and undmount verything...

regards
costal

MU

#33 Post by MU »

Fstab is not editable.
I gave you a link for a tool for automatic mount/unmount some days ago: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=35173#35173

Mark

costal martignier

#34 Post by costal martignier »

i'm aware about this tool, but i have a harddiskinstall..

my ftsab is writable, and the entryes also persists after reboot, but the entries are not used why ever...

i think the problem with the reboot script is because the tmp folder gets deleted/cleaned after the rc.reboot file is copied to it, as far as i saw in the init scripts... this is perhaps a race-condition or something...

there is never a rc.reboot in the tmp folder in a hdinstall :(

perhaps im to stupid but i tell it too you like it is/ like i see it

regards

MU

#35 Post by MU »

ah,ok,that explains some things...

If you make changes to the /etc/rc.d/rc.reboot -scripts, are those also not executed?

Mark