advanced bash script guide

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
muggins

advanced bash script guide

#1 Post by muggins »

Attached is "The advanced bash scripting guide", v5.2, as self-extracting archive. i just like it in this format because it is half the size of the .pdf version & half to one-quarter the size of extracted html. Just extract the attached abs.tar.gz to /, then the guide can be opened, (provided you've got dillo installed), by entering abs in a console, or via clicking on /usr/bin/abs.

also attached is a vtcl, (visual tcl), tut i saw on the net.

just use Pupzip to extract the self-extracting archives......sounds funny. Put the executables wherever you keep docs & click to view.

They extract to a temp directory in /tmp, then use dillo as a viewer. So you need dillo to view, otherwise modify to suit.

To copy script press left mouse key & drag to highlight, then to paste to text editor, press middle mouse key. I've reposted these as the idea was minimal size but most dloads were for larger versions!

i also added the bash-reference.
Attachments
vtcl-tut.tar.gz
(133.8 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
bash-refrence.tar.gz
(116.46 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Last edited by muggins on Fri 14 Mar 2008, 12:49, edited 4 times in total.

muggins

#2 Post by muggins »

actually they were self-extracting but seemed to have stopped working here! do they load for anyone else?

MU

#3 Post by MU »

just tried the bash-tutorial, it works fine.
In opens in Dillo (I use the patched one).

Do they report errors in a shell for you?

Mark

muggins

#4 Post by muggins »

mark,

both files contain dillo-patched as the viewer. i upx'ed it & got it down to 181kbytes, but it seems to sometimes be missing the dpi config files etc.

i like the idea of having the file browser internal to the file & am just experimenting on what configuration gives smallest size, reasonable display & minimum probs. i like using dillo as it's quite fast, and i didn't want to assume what the user's default html viewer was.

i tried a tcl based file viewer instead of dillo, which was very small, but it didn't display as well, and appeared to "lock up" memory upon closing.

i'll keep plodding on.

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

silly me! of course i could just use defaultbrowser! then the files are a lot smaller. however i still prefer dillo as my default as much zippier.

this post redundant. see first post.

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

This is the latest Advanced Bash Guide, version 5.1, as a self-extracting archive using defaultbrowser as the viewer. Extract to wherever you wish & run via ./abg, or clicking.

Edit: I've removed the version that was here, and posted an updated version in first post.
Last edited by muggins on Fri 14 Mar 2008, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

cb88

#7 Post by cb88 »

thanks muggins I hadn't seen this before might (99% sure ) this will come in handy...
Taking Puppy Linux to the limit of perfection. meanwhile try "puppy pfix=duct_tape" kernel parem eater.
X86: Sager NP6110 3630QM 16GB ram, Tyan Thunder 2 2x 300Mhz
Sun: SS2 , LX , SS5 , SS10 , SS20 ,Ultra 1, Ultra 10 , T2000
Mac: Platinum Plus, SE/30

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

I've updated the Advanced Bash Scripting Guide to v5.2. For some reason the previous version, where I was using defaultbrowser as the viewer wasn't working when I just checked. Surprisingly it was downloaded 95 times without any complaint? Anyway, I've reverted to using Dillo as the default viewer.

If you want to grab the docs & copy them somewhere whilst the DIllo browser is open, they're located in a temporary directory in /tmp, with a name like /tmp/selfxyz22, or some such.