Quirky NOP 1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
russoodle

Re: Future of QNop12?

#91 Post by russoodle »

Henry wrote:...
By the way, I see the Nop repository has disappeared, along with all of Caneri's. What's up there?

Henry
Hi Henry,

Unfortunately for us all, Caneri's repo no longer exists - it's been shut down.
He gave us warning of this eventuality several months ago, but i for one always hoped for some magic to keep .ca and .asia alive :(

The only files i have of Gray's on my server are http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... 31-NOP.iso and http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... OP-120.iso and QuirkyNOP's md5....user: puppy and pawsword: linux for download.

Eric and the amazing contribution he made are already sorely missed around here..
Last edited by russoodle on Fri 03 Dec 2010, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

01micko

#92 Post by 01micko »

russoodle mirroring

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/quirkyNOP-120.iso

0a5c83fa3331cc32ed895d1e047f740d quirkyNOP-120.iso

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

russoodle

#93 Post by russoodle »

onya micko :D , your mdsum checks out with the one i've got..

..and i just noticed and fixed the capital 'Q' in my url.. :oops:

Edit: in the post below,
01micko wrote:Since you have a link on Page 1 of this thread, feel free to edit your post and add my link.. share the load :wink:
Good idea, have now done so.
01micko wrote:This is a good NOP this one, I found out many xfce tricks using it.. if it weren't for this my xfce4 package for lupu would not exist.
So Gray has done us a favour in more ways than one, with his excellent puplet :wink:
Wonder if he'll find his way back to the kennels in due course..
Last edited by russoodle on Fri 03 Dec 2010, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

01micko

#94 Post by 01micko »

russoodle

Since you have a link on Page 1 of this thread, feel free to edit your post and add my link.. share the load :wink:

This is a good NOP this one, I found out many xfce tricks using it.. if it weren't for this my xfce4 package for lupu would not exist.

Much thanks to smokey01 for ftp account.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Henry

Removing OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs prevents Opera from working.

#95 Post by Henry »

SOLUTION: The problem appeared exactly as described below, but the cause was unexpected. I did delete a lot of residual OpenOffice files.
I then tested a new Opera install by itself and found the fault was in my old profile, which apparently was incompatible with the new opera, causing the crash on start. So I accepted a new default profile and copied my bookmarks into it. I just have to retweak my Opera config now.

Embarrassing, and a little surprising that the OpenOffice sfs was needed to make the old profile work in Opera.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01micko wrote:
This is a good NOP this one, I found out many xfce tricks using it.. if it weren't for this my xfce4 package for lupu would not exist.
Yes indeed. I have used all the Nops as they appeared, upgrading through QNop12 with a highly developed save file.

Everything is perfect except for this problem - not a serious one but it bothers me.

My otherwise squeeky-clean frugal installation has:
QuirkyNop21 (2.6.33.2)
qrkysave.2fs, 688K in fat32 sda1
ext2 6G sda2 contains libreoffice-3.3.0.4 and Opera 11.01 "portable."
jre-1.6.0.22.pet is installed and working

The problem is :
Even though LibreOffice works perfectly, if i remove the now unused OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs from the boot manager, Opera will not start - actually it "tries" to start but quickly shows a black window titled "Opera needs to restart." It's the same whether I start it from the menu, a hot key, the xfce panel, or the default webrowser in /usr/local/bin, which have all been set up correctly. (I have used Opera for years outside the pup-save, whether in fat32 or ext2 and the problem is not version related.) It's a very consistent repeatable one that I have tested with several package permutations.

Not an easy problem (for me) to solve. Help will be welcome! Really not a big problem - everything works perfectly - I' m just stuck with an extra sfs. No one would know unless I mentioned it. ;-)
Last edited by Henry on Mon 31 Jan 2011, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

Re: Removing OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs prevents Opera from working.

#96 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Henry wrote:...My otherwise squeeky-clean frugal installation has:
QuirkyNop21 (2.6.33.2)
qrkysave.2fs, 688K in fat32 sda1
ext2 6G sda2 contains libreoffice-3.3.0.4 and Opera 11.01 "portable."
jre-1.6.0.22.pet is installed and working

The problem is :
Even though LibreOffice works perfectly, if i remove the now unused OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs from the boot manager, Opera will not start - actually it "tries" to start but quickly shows a black window titled "Opera needs to restart." It's the same whether I start it from the menu, a hot key, the xfce panel, or the default webrowser in /usr/local/bin, which have all been set up correctly. (I have used Opera for years outside the pup-save, whether in fat32 or ext2 and the problem is not version related.) It's a very consistent repeatable one that I have tested with several package permutations...
Tonight, while packaging libreoffice-3.3.0.4, I noticed that unloading a .pet did not make its dirs and files (which were in /opt) go away, and that then, moreover, when I then mounted an .sfs, also in /opt, a "ghost symlink to a directory" from the dismounted .pet --which symlink also exists in the .sfs, in /opt --somehow transformed from a symlink into a regular directory.

So, in your case, the solution I would try is to dismount all .pet's and .sfs's, and then left-click-to-mount the troublesome OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs, and then go through and compare its internal directory structure, its files, and its symlinks against what's in your main. See if there are such ghosts which "should" have been gotten rid of when OpenOfficeJRE321.sfs was unmounted, but weren't, and if there are, delete them.

Then when this exorcism is through, reinstall all your .pet's and .sfs's.

I also now have a regular .sfs and .pet of Opera 11.01-1190 up. This one, unlike my earlier Opera packages, will pick up your bookmarks and other profile data, i.e. it does not carry its own /root/.opera but rather will use your pre-existing one (if one exists), but if not it will establish a default profile.

HTH, SHS
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Fri 04 Feb 2011, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

Henry

"Opera needs to restart" SOLVED

#97 Post by Henry »

SHS,

Many thanks for your suggestions, which inspired me to take a fresh look this morning. It's all in good order now.

I did delete a lot of residual OpenOffice files.

I then tested a new Opera install by itself and found the fault was in my old profile, which apparently was incompatible with the new opera, causing the crash on start. So I accepted a new default profile and copied my bookmarks into it. I just have to retweak my Opera config now.

Embarrassing, and a little surprising that the OpenOffice sfs was needed to make the old profile work in Opera.

Sit Heel Speak

Re: "Opera needs to restart" SOLVED

#98 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Henry wrote:...Many thanks for your suggestions, which inspired me to take a fresh look this morning. It's all in good order now.
Yay!!!

Henry

How to fix xfce4 terminal display? SOLVED

#99 Post by Henry »

EDIT: SOLVED The last reboot after deleting the whiteout file fixed it!

Sorry for the confusion,
Henry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The terminal works as always except there is an irrelevant first line, which I cannot remove. I guess it resulted from my typing bash erroneously there some time ago. Seems untidy!

Embarrassing, but there you are. The line is wrong in that there is (now) an

Code: Select all

initrd/pup_ro2/etc/profile.d
and an

Code: Select all

/etc/profile.d
Probably because I tried to delete it as a test but have now removed the .wh I wonder if I can "reinstall" the terminal some how.

I should say this is a QuirkyNop-1.2 frugal install, very highly adapted and working perfectly in every other respect. It just has this pimple on it.

Geoffrey

Package manager problem

#100 Post by Geoffrey »

I'm having a problem with uninstalling pets, I've only just notice that when I uninstall it leaves empty directories.

It is more than likely something I've done as I don't normally use petget to install packages, I use edit sfs to edit the qrky-120.sfs.

This qrky-120.sfs is currently at 580meg so I'm not about to discard it, it been a on going project of mine since the release Quirky NOP 1.2.

I just can't seem to find the problem, so I'm wonding if anyone could direct me to the files that determine what gets removed when uninstalling.

Geoffrey