The Legacy OS 2 Documentation Project

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

The Legacy OS 2 Documentation Project

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
When ever I release a new release, A number of users provide info on how they got a troublesome machine to boot or a trick on how they got a wireless card going. All this info is GOLD to those who need it.

I would like to collect this info and begin the creating of a "Help Manual" based on real life experiences with Legacy OS 2. provide this manual online and regularly update as new stuff came in.

Also I feel we need to also highlight those successes with Legacy OS 2.

Just imagine if User 1 has a old wireless card that works with Legacy OS 2 gave the model and make which User 2 saw in a compatibility list and at a computer swap meet saw that wireless card for sale for $20. User 2 would know straight away that buying it would get them online wirelessly. No hoping like in the past that it might work.

Printers is also an issue. If you have a printer that works with Legacy OS 2, list it!
I'll get the list going.

Printers:
Epson TX100 Printing works but scanning doesn't.
Epson C45 Printing works
HP PSC 1210 Printing works but scanning doesn't.

Scanners:
Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5p scanning works.

Don't think you can help? If it works list it here!
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

john biles

#2 Post by john biles »

No Replies?
Here's a little story for you.
My 75 year old father is a Mint Linux user. He's got this USB TV stick which he has got working in the past. To cut a long story short he has spend days on different forums looking for a "How To" and kept getting "Install Kaffeine to watch TV on your computer, no configuring needed!". So he installs Kaffeine but it won't scan!. Now by chance he finds out he got to install libxine1-ffmpeg and through experiments select "Configure Kaffeine" and make some adjustments. Now he can watch TV. He comments "Why didn't anyone on the forum say you have to do these extra step!! It would have save me from wasting 3 days of my time."

Now here's why I'm telling you this story. I said to him "Now you know the solution are you going to post it on the forum to help others". He said "No" I said "Why not here you are complaining about others not providing the correct information and your doing the very same thing!".

I posted this for Legacy OS 2 users benefit. My printer works, My scanner works, I don't have any problems I happy with my setup.

This post is about informing other users of what works for you.

So don't just sit there quietly post your Hardware successes here!

john biles

#3 Post by john biles »

Wireless Working
From Dave_B
This laptop is a Compaq N410c with a 1.2 GHz PIII processor and 512 MB of RAM. I'm using a D-Link DWL-G650 PCMCIA wireless card and connected to my home wireless network with WEP encryption.
Update from Dave_B
The ath_pci wireless driver works with my D-Link G650 PCMCIA card.