How to use FTDI USB-to-(Sitecom serial modem) adapter?

Booting, installing, newbie
jmarsden

#16 Post by jmarsden »

Eastern Counties wrote:With the command
atdt1470,08089933151
my modem connected to my ISP. Now, how to log on to my account?
If you are trying to use Eznet, post your current eznet config

Code: Select all

# eznet list |sed -e 's/password =.*$/password = XXX/'
being sure to censor the passwords as shown, and also the result of doing

Code: Select all

# eznet log
which gives a log of the last connection that attempt eznet made, as a starting point. Censor any passwords in the eznet log output too, of course.
Is there some way I can follow my succesful atdt connection with a set of commands to provide my username and password and access my account?
Yes, that's what the various dialer programs like eznet and wvdial are supposed to do. So you/we need to configure one of them to work with your modem and your ISP :-)

See some limited but useful docs on eznet at http://www.hwaci.com/sw/eznet/eznet.html also.

Jonathan

Eastern Counties

#17 Post by Eastern Counties »

OK, bit of a delay in replying, but I've been on quite a long walk with my puppy. The outcome is that my modem now connects fine and in fact I am sending this via Puppy.

I abandoned EZNet because the eznet down command made my computer crash each time. Instead, I applied the 'one step ata a time' approach to GKDialler. Firstly, I edited dev/modem into a symlink to /dev/usb/ttyUSB0. Secondly, I edited the modem wizard file so that it looked for dev/usb/ttyUSB0 and that a button appeared for ttyUSB0 in the wizard. On selecting the the 'ttyUSB0' button, the wizard still said 'Fail', but I saved it anyway.

Next, I opened GKDialler and entered the relevant info, but then went to /etc/ppp and edited the relevant files there to make sure they were on ATDT and that the number was complete (its too long to fit in the box), and that all other data were correct.

Now, GKDialler works as it should.

Thanks for all the guidance on this. Do you think it would be a help to others with a USB-serial modem connection if I wrote the procedure out more carefully and posted it elsewhere on the forum?

Now, if I can just get Puppy to recognise my printer, I'm all set.

Thanks again

John

jmarsden

#18 Post by jmarsden »

Eastern Counties wrote:OK, bit of a delay in replying, but I've been on quite a long walk with my puppy. The outcome is that my modem now connects fine and in fact I am sending this via Puppy.
Yay!
Thanks for all the guidance on this. Do you think it would be a help to others with a USB-serial modem connection if I wrote the procedure out more carefully and posted it elsewhere on the forum?
It might. I'd suggest you create a wiki page about how to do this, and then announce the page in the HOWTO forum?
Now, if I can just get Puppy to recognise my printer, I'm all set.
I suggest you start a separate forum thread for that :-)

Jonathan