Seamonkey Webbrowser 1.0

News, happenings
Lobster
Official Crustacean

#16 Post by Lobster »

MU wrote:Lobster? ;)
I modified the first message, now it should be easier to understand.
Maybe you got confused by the mountpoints.
Yes it was me . . .
Thanks Mark. In some cultured cultures the idea of "Guest" is very important. For example in Oz culture I believe it is usual to share a beer or ones favourite sheep.

I know that a lot of people would prefer to have Flock or closed source Operas or even that panda based Firefox in Puppy but Seamonkey is faster than firefox (yep that surprised you). It is kinda boring.

Now which is faster? Just working or just about working?
:) - oh I know Firefox is brill but so easy to download . . .

"Working is the new fast" 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

pakt

#17 Post by pakt »

I'm finally using Puppy as my main os instead of Kanotix. I've got Puppy 1.0.7 set up to my liking (with Xkb and ROX 2.4.1), but I had problems with national characters (Swedish) in Sylpheed. (I sent in a bug report on that)

So now I have installed Seamonkey using J_Rey's instructions. I really like it and the built-in email function solves the national character problem for me.

IMHO, Seamonkey is a much better solution than Mozilla + Sylpheed.

(I liked Puppy when I was playing/testing it before, but now that I'm using it seriously, I think it is GREAT!)

Paul

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#18 Post by Lobster »

8) That is good news Paul. I used Kanotix for a while. One thing I liked was their instant IRC channel - gonna go there a bit today . . . and it one of the reasons we now have Gaim set up in a similar way (thanks to everyone who is contributing to that)

It is good that we keep an eye on and in and with other distros for sure. Puppy is best as a user system. When I was learning stuff Puppy was the first distro I wanted to learn, that I enjoyed learning and enjoyed using. Others it was more like a battle.

My way of learning stuff was the forum (from which I took material studied it and stuffed it in the wiki) then I used the info I had studied as the basis for my own fun . . .

This I think is the way forward. Help Puppy. Help yourself. Linux is Self Service.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

edoc

#19 Post by edoc »

pakt wrote:I'm finally using Puppy as my main os instead of Kanotix. I've got Puppy 1.0.7 set up to my liking (with Xkb and ROX 2.4.1), but I had problems with national characters (Swedish) in Sylpheed. (I sent in a bug report on that)

So now I have installed Seamonkey using J_Rey's instructions. I really like it and the built-in email function solves the national character problem for me.

IMHO, Seamonkey is a much better solution than Mozilla + Sylpheed.

(I liked Puppy when I was playing/testing it before, but now that I'm using it seriously, I think it is GREAT!)

Paul
I am still having difficulty getting a clean Seamonkey installation.

When I uninstalled Sylpheed it messed everything up so I had to do
a completely new HDD install.

I cannot figure out how to make Seamonkey the default E-mail app
e.g. when I select an E-mail address on a Web site.

Suggestions, please?

Thanks! doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

krumpli

#20 Post by krumpli »

Doc,
Have you considered using the pup2 alpha? That would solve your email problem. I am using both vs 1.08 and pup2 depending on my mood. I am using TB for email on vs 1.08 which I preferred to sylpheed. I am using FF also on vs 1.08. When I switch to pup2 I am using seamonkey. The email portion is (as far as I can see) equal to TB. The browser part is not quite equal to FF due to lack of extensions. BUT it is somewhat faster and overall it requires less resources. So I am warming up to seamonkey SLOWLY. Heck maybe in a few months extensions can be added.

Paul M

pakt

#21 Post by pakt »

edoc wrote: I cannot figure out how to make Seamonkey the default E-mail app e.g. when I select an E-mail address on a Web site.

Suggestions, please?
doc, I just followed J_Rey's instructions further up this thread (make the links and remove the "-a") and everything works. I didn't have to do anything else.

When I click on an email address in a web page, a Seamonkey compose window pops up with the email address filled in :)

Paul