Things I like and dislike about Lucid Puppy

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
B.K. Johnson

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

I like the underlying concept of Lucid Puppy - access to Ubuntu distro files - despite the fact that I am not connected to the internet 24/7 and not sure I will be able to get programs (Pets and SFS), or update lupu.

What's missing from lupu for me?
* a md5sum hash checker
* a mhWaveEdit that records from a line source
* Composer (I don't want Kompozer. It's for someone doing serious web site development. For my needs it is over-kill. As I'm not allowed to boot puppy on the library computers, I can't get Seamonkey/Composer via QuickPet, and I haven't been able to find a PET or SFS for it.)

B.K. Johnson

DaveS

Re: Things I like and dislike about Lucid Puppy

#2 Post by DaveS »

B.K. Johnson wrote:I like the underlying concept of Lucid Puppy - access to Ubuntu distro files - despite the fact that I am not connected to the internet 24/7 and not sure I will be able to get programs (Pets and SFS), or update lupu.

* a md5sum hash checker
* Composer (I don't want Kompozer. It's for someone doing serious web site development. For my needs it is over-kill. As I'm not allowed to boot puppy on the library computers, I can't get Seamonkey/Composer via QuickPet, and I haven't been able to find a PET or SFS for it.)

B.K. Johnson
Will this do it?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/182865/
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

2lss

#3 Post by 2lss »

B.K. Johnson wrote:* Composer (I don't want Kompozer. It's for someone doing serious web site development. For my needs it is over-kill. As I'm not allowed to boot puppy on the library computers, I can't get Seamonkey/Composer via QuickPet, and I haven't been able to find a PET or SFS for it.) B.K. Johnson
I know how you feel about kompozer, but honestly after I used it for awhile, it became a lot easier. (and I'm not a web developer or anything)

You can also do html in openoffice, but I found it to be quite aggravating.

Another option could be to download the seamonkey tarball from their website and run that.

smokey01

#4 Post by smokey01 »

B.K. Johnson wrote:I like the underlying concept of Lucid Puppy - access to Ubuntu distro files - despite the fact that I am not connected to the internet 24/7 and not sure I will be able to get programs (Pets and SFS), or update lupu.

* a md5sum hash checker

B.K. Johnson
Here is the seamonkey pet that includes composer.
http://www.smokey01.com/coolpup/seamonkey-2.0.5.pet

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Dude

I like DuDe :)
and the very simple Firewallstate
both can be added from Quickpet (morepets top menu)
in Lucid Beta (506)
The ability to use a high end graphic driver
and the run Google Earth (quickpet again)
is ideal for those who use Puppy on overpowered hardware

For reasons beyond my comprehension
I sometimes need Java
what a palaver
(that is English slang for hoo ha - rigmarole)
now easy from Quickpet 8)

DuDe puts up two gnomeplayers in the menu
which is too keen for my tastes :wink:
The Puppy Control Centre is pawsome
Ideal for my non geek relatives (. . . eh . . . most of them)

The very best thing about Lucid 5.1
is it shows the potential of Woof
the rewards of hard voluntary work and testing
I have tried it on 4 computers
including two clunkers
Went straight to desktop :D

Want Just Works?
Just Test Lucid 5.1
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 29 Jul 2010, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

scsijon

#6 Post by scsijon »

* a md5sum hash checker

B.K. Johnson
Menu>Utility>General Utilities>gtkhash should do you, There is another somewhere I found inbuilt in another package, but don't remember where.

regards
scsijon

playdayz

#7 Post by playdayz »

There is a discussion on page 56 of the Towards lucid Puppy 5.1 site about recording from the mic. I think it might also apply to the line input.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 775#434775

paradj

#8 Post by paradj »

I'm not too happy with the PPM (Package Manager)

Suggestions:
Have the installed apps portion of the gui show file size and date installed along with a link to examine dependencies.

check_deps: if possible:: a scrolling window for the installed apps checklist.
(haven't quite got the hang of shell scripting)

But......other than that
...Just about everything else rocks...
...sorta the 'mustard seed' of distros
small, light, yet able to grow and customize nearly everything.

DaveS

#9 Post by DaveS »

Guess I dont much like the way it installs so easily, looks so good, allows me full choice of browser, makes it easy to install awkward stuff like Java, requires so little configuration, prints so well, runs so fast etc., after all, what is a geek to do?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Iguleder

#10 Post by Iguleder »

I totally agree with DaveS. Lupu needs some geek-oriented variant.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

abushcrafter

#11 Post by abushcrafter »

I use Check Md5sum with a Open With entry in Rox-filer (Puppy's default file manager.).
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

Tommylee567

#12 Post by Tommylee567 »

Please add the option to the package manager so that it will add everything in a list and download the packages for it self. I mean automated.
Like ubuntu or other distros have the synaptic package manager, do include something to get it on automated installation and package selection.

I have to select individual packages and download and again select (this is a chore and have be there always)... now at least if you get what i'm trying to say

Thanks!

Tim

bastill

#13 Post by bastill »

I TOTALLY agree with adverse comments about the Puppy Package Manager. It simply does not do what is claimed.
Its handling of dependencies is woeful.
I am fed up with installing apps and their (so-called) dependents only to find the app won't run and I have a couple more files that are needed but I cannot find to install EG
libapt-inst-libc6.10-6-1.1
libapt-pkg-libc6.10-6-4.8
libmime-base64-perl
perlapi-5.10.0
perlapi-5.10.1
This should not happen.

Sad thing is that Puppy is superb otherwise.

dragon-the-cat

My Puppy-experience and the packet-manager

#14 Post by dragon-the-cat »

I've seen Puppy Linux first only few days ago.

I'm impressed about the functionality and minimalism under one roof. The most impressing thing is for me the vitality of development, which is the energy for the 'puppy-drive'. All the people, who give smart and competently answers or solutions for problems in the form of .pets or practical tips...Thank you!!!

I'm 'infected' with puppy-fever, only disturbed from some unlucky events with the puppy-packet-manager. The last event has made me puppy-less now - the only hint, that puppy has been here is a boot-message:

Code: Select all

can't run '/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: No such file or directory
login[41]: root login on 'UNKNOWN'
-sh-3.00#
The flickering cursor is now the last life sign of my puppy (Lucid Puppy 5.10), but I can't make any typings - my USB-keyboard plays dead-man, too... :shock:

What's happend?
Oh, not so much to let my Puppy die, much more things I have done before, to get my vmware to run and to customize my Puppy. I'm a Linux-Noob and have been very proud about this.
It's been a hard-disk-install, what can show my serious intent.

My last act has been the installing of a language-pack for puppy with the terrible puppy-packet-manager. I'm complaining the less useful descriptions of the choosed components, but more than that the behavior of the so called 'uninstalling'-process. In my sight it should work in a way, that the chosen packet is removed, but not other found dependencies are deleted without any ability to cancel this. The so called dependencies has been on the system before the install of the language-pack.

The given hint to take a blank paper and write them on it is more than ironic - in my case more than one sheet of paper would have been needed...
All gcc and other stuff has been gone during the uninstalling of the language-pack, but not the problems, which have occured since the installing of them...

Only the packet-manager found this successful :!:
With his 'uninstall' aka deleting other needed things he teared my Puppy in the abyss...

What can I #make now?
I think: Only a stupid face! And hoping, that all the good people, which working hard on the Puppy-project will fix this as soon as possible.

Keep up the good work, guys - shit happens (in my case), but the hope dies last

So long - :wink:
* dragon-the-cat *

playdayz

#15 Post by playdayz »

Please add the option to the package manager so that it will add everything in a list and download the packages for it self. I mean automated.
Tommylee597, It will do some of what you want I think. If you pick a Ubuntu program to install, then PPM will tell you if it thinks it needs any dependencies and you can choose Examine the dependencies to make sure. Then you can choose to download the files and either install them automatically or just download them.

For the puppy-lucid repo it does not need to do that because we test everything there beforehand,

playdayz

#16 Post by playdayz »

It's been a hard-disk-install, what can show my serious intent.

My last act has been the installing of a language-pack for puppy with the terrible puppy-packet-manager. I'm complaining the less useful descriptions of the choosed components, but more than that the behavior of the so called 'uninstalling'-process. In my sight it should work in a way, that the chosen packet is removed, but not other found dependencies are deleted without any ability to cancel this. The so called dependencies has been on the system before the install of the language-pack.
I was thinking about this earlier this evening. Puppy is not really designed for a "full" install (I don't know which one you did, full or frugal). The reason I say this is because of what happens when you install and uninstall a pet package. On a frugal install, when you uninstall a pet, then you are left with what was there before the pet was installed--the files in the pet "cover up" the previous files. But on a full install, when you uninstall a pet, then those files are simply removed and nothing is left in their place--the pet files had replaced the original files.. For this reason I recommend frugal install unless someone is an expert and knows exactly why they want a full install. Also, of course, the Universal Installer recommends a frugal install. Did I explain this correctly?

"a language-pack" was this from the puppy-lucid repo?

rjbrewer

#17 Post by rjbrewer »

The few things I hated about it a few days ago I love today.

I hated gnome-mplayer because it wouldn't start dvd from menus.
A real problem with my favorite dvd. (The Cure Trilogy)
The most problematic dvd I own.
I learned how to walk through the selections and it's all okay now.
It really is a great media player in general.

I couldn't get it to enable mms or rtsp streams in about:config.
I installed seamonkey 1.1.18 and was able to get them enabled.
I use libflashplayer 10.1.51.66pet.
Now I can watch the soap operas at rtr-planeta-russia, Delicast.com.
(Even though I don't understand a word they're saying).

5.1 does one great thing I can't do with my other installs;
Save a playable youtube vid from the temp folder.

edit;
I only use full installs.
Probably won't be using quickpet or the package manager.
Was able to create a remastered iso from the full install using
a few files from Fluppy's pupremaster.
Last edited by rjbrewer on Fri 20 Aug 2010, 22:17, edited 2 times in total.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

dragon-the-cat

#18 Post by dragon-the-cat »

Thank you for your reply and thinking about, playdayz - now there are just two of us... :| + :|

Yes, I've made a full install. I'd intended to have a dual-boot-system with Lucid puppy as the second OS. Not only to try it out and playing with it - I've decided that I need a small and handy distro to let run a vmware-workstation in it with other OS's inside.

I've read about this and the recommendation is a 'full install' of puppy linux (a.o. issues with using VMware and Puppy Frugal installations because of a lack of swap space).
A history what I've done:
  • 1. Installed Lucid Puppy 5.10 fully on the hd
    2. Wondering about 'missing dependencies' after a fresh install (described in the Bug-report of LuPu 5.10 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=195)
    3. Changed the keyboard layout etc. to make puppy more usable for me (you know, there're freaks who need ü,ä,ö...)
    4. Changed to IceWM, installed Opera, because this is my preferred browser
    5. Tried to solve the problem with the 'missing dependencies'; loaded the concerned packages and have had at last only one thing missing 'perlapi 5.10' or so, altough I've loaded the module with this part inside
    6. To let my vmware-installation run I've needed 'lupu_devx_510.sfs' and 'lupu_kernel/kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs' - I've downloaded them from Micko's puppystuff, placed them in the recommended directory (/mnt/home), tried to load them with the boot-manager. Unfortuanally he claimed to find nothing of *.sfs-stuff there.
    7. I loaded the'sfsinstall-0.1.2.pet' and it worked for me
    8. Installed vmware-workstation 7.0.1 in Lucid puppy
    9. Created one guest OS and so on...
    10 And now, when all working like desired, to some extent as the crowning final, I've loaded via puppy-package-manager the language-pack 'de' from the puppy-lucid-repo. There was no hint, that this version have problems with compatibility to lupu 5.10, but indeed: There are BIG problems.
At this point I recognized, that something went very, very strange in my puppy. :o
The look of some desktop-icons changed (to another than the 'toc-toc'-theme) - yes, there where some translations; but now in 'slow motion' of PC-performance, without any ability to use the keyboard (Cherry G230 via USB). But the mouse worked and I thought, the un-installing of language-packs (2 modules) would solve this problems.

Thought and done, but neither the look of mutated desktop-icons retransformed or the support for my keyboard came back. After some x-server-restarts without any effect I decided to reboot (in contrast to the statement: If you have problems with Linux: Be root. If you have problems with windows: Reboot.) :wink: . As a result of this I became the above-quoted message about the missing 'rc.sysinit' without any ability to make an input at the shell.
That's what I said before: My puppy seems dead now, because of assumed dependencies from language-packs to c-libraries and other evidently needed stuff. The puppy-package-manager has left me no way of return, only lots of things to write down on a sheet of paper for examining later. :evil:

Now, this is the state of affairs for my puppy - I'm even thinking it's a great distribution, really worth to work with it, but the package-manager is now, after my experiences, a hateful entity for me.
At first it seems only a bit strange thing for me, that I could maximize him to fit the window, but the several parts like listing of installed packages have the same height like in the further appearance. OK, I thought, let's look through a porthole with very much free space around... :?
But now I'm feeling like a kid, which the lolly was stolen, who has tasted good...

I'm not feeling discouraged, only a bit confused and sad about the whole time I've spent to realize my future plans with a handy live-system and other OS's in my pocket to have my designated environment wherever is a PC (after I've found a workaround for the swap-glitch).

8) But, again and nevertheless: Keep up the good work and many thanks @all for the plenty of work which is already done!

playdayz

#19 Post by playdayz »

4. Changed to IceWM, installed Opera, because this is my preferred browser
5. Tried to solve the problem with the 'missing dependencies'; loaded the concerned packages and have had at last only one thing missing 'perlapi 5.10' or so, altough I've loaded the module with this part inside
6. To let my vmware-installation run I've needed 'lupu_devx_510.sfs' and 'lupu_kernel/kernel_src_L4-2.6.33.2-patched.sfs' - I've downloaded them from Micko's puppystuff, placed them in the recommended directory (/mnt/home), tried to load them with the boot-manager. Unfortuanally he claimed to find nothing of *.sfs-stuff there.
7. I loaded the'sfsinstall-0.1.2.pet' and it worked for me
8. Installed vmware-workstation 7.0.1 in Lucid puppy
9. Created one guest OS and so on...
10 And now, when all working like desired, to some extent as the crowning final, I've loaded via puppy-package-manager the language-pack 'de' from the puppy-lucid-repo. There was no hint, that this version have problems with compatibility to lupu 5.10, but indeed: There are BIG problems.
5. I don't understand--what missing dependencies? There is a pet of Opera 10.61 on Lupu News (from the News tab in Quickpet) that is ready to go.

8. Congratulations big time. I would have predicted it would not work. You've got it going on. There are some other people on the forums who use Vmware and Virtualbox. I still might say that there are other distros that might be more Vmware friendly--but of course none as fast, friendly and fun as Puppy ;-)

10. I don't understand. I don't see a "language-pack" for "de" in the puppy-lucid repo. Had you configured the Puppy Package Manager to show the Ubuntu repos?

dragon-the-cat

#20 Post by dragon-the-cat »

Thanks for your interest, playdayz

above I made a list in historical order.

5. bullet-point with the 'missing dependencies' ( :wink: puh, what a storm in a teacup with them - but that storm takes place in another thread) belongs in logical order to the 2. bullet-point 'wondering about..' It has nothing to do with Opera. The browser is working like a charme - thanks for the Quickpet, which I already have used.

8. Thanks a lot - but, hey, you are kidding me, can this be?
To get a prepared software to run in an environment, even it's DSL, LuPu or another distro: It's only a giant leap for me, but it's only one small step for the Puppy-Linux-Community.
I've read much about this, and then: Some makedir here and there, copy a symlink at the right place, load sfs-files...ready, steady, go for installation. Otherwise it would be a shame for me - I fiddle around since more than 1,5 decade with PC's and have to earn my money with my work on them.
For me it's only new to work with Linux: That's it! :D
There is more congratulations big time for your work on a new puppy-release - to get it to work and so on - you will better know than me, what is meant...

10. I'm roughly sure I've checked the Lucid-Repo-radiobutton (my eidetic memory tells me so - it has been the button at the right corner), but I'm sorry about the exact name of the downloaded Package. Yes, I've called it 'language-pack de' and that's what it logical meant (and it has partically done some translations) - only the accurat notation won't come back into my mind.
Yes, I've had loaded the Ubunto-Repos in Puppy-Package-Mannager, too, but don't used it in this case. Clearly I can remember that there havn't been any hints to version of the loaded de-package (e.g. 'for puppy linux xxx'), otherwise I would have handled with more care. :roll:

That's all I can explain how it ended in disaster for my puppy.
But it's a very impressing thing for me, that you have thought about these problems. I assume, that's the reason, why Lucid Puppy is such an good OS in a very good distro: All the engaged and competent people, which working hard and good to make things even better.
:lol: Because: Better is the enemy of good. :lol:

GREETZ@all