Compact Flash to IDE Adaptor Corrupts Card

Using applications, configuring, problems
dvw86

Compact Flash to IDE Adaptor Corrupts Card

#1 Post by dvw86 »

I have a 512MB San Disk and a CF to IDE adaptor. I can install Puppy to the CF card with a USB card reader. I set my syslinux.cfg to this.

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz 
append ide=nodma PSLEEP=999 PHOME=hda1 PFILE=pup100-none-262144 PKEYS=us
When finished I power down and plug the CF card into the IDE adapter. Puppy will boot up and run fine the first time. After shutting down for the first time Puppy will no longer boot. Syslinux complains that it can not find the files. If I boot up from CD and look at the files on the CF card, their names are all garbled. If I do plain instal to USB and use the CF card in a USB card reader, everything works fine. Any ideas why the CF to IDE adaptor would be corrupting the files?

pakt

Re: Compact Flash to IDE Adaptor Corrupts Card

#2 Post by pakt »

dvw86 wrote:I have a 512MB San Disk and a CF to IDE adaptor. I can install Puppy to the CF card with a USB card reader. I set my syslinux.cfg to this.

append ide=nodma PSLEEP=999 PHOME=hda1 PFILE=pup100-none-262144 PKEYS=us
When finished I power down and plug the CF card into the IDE adapter. Puppy will boot up and run fine the first time. After shutting down for the first time Puppy will no longer boot. Syslinux complains that it can not find the files. If I boot up from CD and look at the files on the CF card, their names are all garbled. If I do plain instal to USB and use the CF card in a USB card reader, everything works fine. Any ideas why the CF to IDE adaptor would be corrupting the files?
dvw86, I also installed Puppy (1.0.7) to a CF card (1GB) using a USB card reader.

I use the following syslinux.cfg and it works every time in my (completely silent) converted Dell CPi D300XT laptop. The only difference to your configuration is that I have added "acpi=off".

append acpi=off ide=nodma PSLEEP=999 PHOME=hda1 PFILE=pup100-none-262144 PKEYS=se
Which Puppy version are you using?

Paul

dvw86

#3 Post by dvw86 »

I'm using Puppy 1.0.7. I have also tried it with the CF card formated as fat 16 and fat 32. The same thing happens with both types of formats. The computer is a VIA ML8000 Mini-ITX. I wonder what the acpi=off does?

Ted Dog

That garbled thing happen to me once

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

I have that wierd dos mangle thing happen to me on my NTA terminal. It seems that the order/location of key files if changed caused a problem. I used the HP utility to redue a full format/boot and reinsalted puppy. However, I liked the result (fastest boot speed) using the ext version Barry uses for 2.0 pre-pre-alpha. I converted back to 107 using it and had no problems. So if you are going to redue (lowlevel like format) you may wish to try a pure linux like ext3. Directions on Barrys test page.

dvw86

Re: That garbled thing happen to me once

#5 Post by dvw86 »

Ted Dog wrote:I used the HP utility to redue a full format/boot and reinsalted puppy.
What is the HP utility? I too am eagerly waiting for Puppy2. It looks like a big step forward for CF based Linux.

Ted Dog

link to CF format util, works on every CF I've tried

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

dvw86

#7 Post by dvw86 »

Well the HP utility formated the card, but after installing Puppy again I got the same problem. I'm trying to instal Puppy2 pre-pre-Alfa right now. I'd like to determine if it is a problem with my CD to IDE adapter since everything else seems to work fine.

dvw86

#8 Post by dvw86 »

Well Puppy2 is a no-go for now as well. It will not mount the ext2 partition. I guess I will wait until the official Puppy2 is released.