Puppy can't see ext2 partition (booting from CD.) (Solved.)

Booting, installing, newbie
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Puppy can't see ext2 partition (booting from CD.) (Solved.)

#1 Post by Flash »

Booted Puppy 1.0.3, boot option 1 (save to HD) on a computer which had never seen Puppy before. Everything appeared to go well, until, just before the albatross appeared on screen, a message in red text said Puppy was unable to find a suitable partition, and nothing would be saved to hard drive.

Once Puppy booted, I ran the mounting wizard and it saw the ext2 partition and mounted it.

The computer is a H-P, about 6 years old, with a 1GHz Athlon processor, 512 MB of RAM, and a (new) 160 GB hard drive which the computer can't see all of, I think because the BIOS is too old.

The hard drive has Windows 2000 Pro and Mandriva Linux SE on it. It has 6 partitions: 3 NTFS, 1 ext3 (4.4 GB), 1 ext2 (about 40 GB) and a 1GB Linux swap partition. The bootloader is whatever Mandriva installed; I think GRUB but maybe LILO. Does it matter?

I'd like to use Puppy on this computer, but I don't want to install it to the hard drive because upgrading to new versions of Puppy is much easier if you run from the CD. So I need a pup001 file.

I'm stumped. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Flash on Wed 29 Jun 2005, 21:48, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Never mind. Somehow one of the Windows partitions was unformatted. After I formatted it NTFS, Puppy found the ext2 partition and put a pup001 file on it. All is well.