Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 03:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Web attack knows where you live
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
2byte

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 10:17    Post subject:  Web attack knows where you live
Subject description: Privacy is dead people. I'm sorry.

Heads up folks.
First demonstration of the true purpose of Google's data gathering?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10850875

Quote:

'Creepy' attack

Many people go online via a router and typically only the computer directly connected to the device can interrogate it for ID information.

However, Mr Kamkar found a way to booby-trap a webpage via a browser so the request for the ID information looks like it is coming from the PC on which that page is being viewed.

He then coupled the ID information, known as a Mac address, with a geo-location feature of the Firefox web browser. This interrogates a Google database created when its cars were carrying out surveys for its Street View service

This database links Mac addresses of routers with GPS co-ordinates to help locate them. During the demonstration, Mr Kamkar showed how straightforward it was to use the attack to identify someone's location to within a few metres.

PaulBx1

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 13:22    Post subject:  

Now the question is, which routers are vulnerable? Is there a way to check our router? etc...
jpeps

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug 2010, 16:39    Post subject:  

I just installed Ghostery plugin, which offers some help regarding trackers.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Wed 04 Aug 2010, 06:35    Post subject:  

jpeps wrote:

Perhaps . . .

Quote:
Ghostery FAQS

What is Better Advertising?

Better Advertising is a new type of company that brings trust to online advertising. We are an intermediary between consumers, advertisers, industry self-regulatory programs and government. We help consumers protect their privacy and keep quality content ad-supported and free.

http://www.ghostery.com/faq

Perhaps not . . .

jpeps

PostPosted: Thu 05 Aug 2010, 00:12    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
jpeps wrote:

Perhaps . . .

Quote:
Ghostery FAQS

What is Better Advertising?

Better Advertising is a new type of company that brings trust to online advertising. We are an intermediary between consumers, advertisers, industry self-regulatory programs and government. We help consumers protect their privacy and keep quality content ad-supported and free.

http://www.ghostery.com/faq

Perhaps not . . .

Paragraph 2:

"Better Advertising is not involved in the collection or sale of any information for advertising purposes. We are not an advertising network or data collection service. We do not collect any data (behavioral or otherwise) for ad targeting, either by ourselves or by third parties."

So far, the ad-on has been helpful blocking lots of trackers. It also gives you information about each site it finds.
Pizzasgood

PostPosted: Fri 06 Aug 2010, 19:33    Post subject:  

Change your router's default password, and that will solve the bulk of the problem from what I can tell. But I wouldn't be surprised if the router's MAC can be obtained in other ways.

Another thing you can do is simply change your router's MAC address. Many routers have that as an option in their web-based configuration. That would make any data Google has about it obsolete. And from what I understand, this data was obtained by the streetview crew, so if you live in a region that has not ben street-viewed (such as out in the boondocks where I grew up) you have no issue. Also, if you don't have a wireless router, or have changed it since they mapped you, you also have no issue. Your MAC address is useless to them, as they don't know it.

Here is the URL to his webpage about that attack vector, which apparently contains a demo for people using a Verizon FiOS router. I have encrypted the URL with ROT13 as a safety precaution, because this guy has been convicted of hacking in the past and I don't want some nooblet whining to me if anything happens while they're over there.

uggc://fnzl.cy/znckff/

John Lewis

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug 2010, 09:14    Post subject:  

Grabbed this from Mepis forum. I gave it a try and the coods for me were pretty close.

John

Does Google know where you are? Try this terminal command and find out.
Edit: make sure curl is installed.
Working wifi device is required, too.

Link: http://foss-boss.blogspot.com/2010/08/bash-oneliner-get-gps-location-street.html

Basically it sends an iwlist scan of nearby wifi signals to Google, and then Google compares that with its known database.
tubby

PostPosted: Sun 08 Aug 2010, 09:42    Post subject:  

Quote:
Basically it sends an iwlist scan of nearby wifi signals to Google, and then Google compares that with its known database.

And if you weren't on it you could be now, nice one Laughing
John Lewis

PostPosted: Sun 15 Aug 2010, 09:29    Post subject:  

tubby wrote:
Quote:

And if you weren't on it you could be now, nice one Laughing

Yes, Guess it might now have the list of nearby wifi but they won't be keyed to the GPS location as it would have been if it was working when they did your street.

I did notice that the street address they gave me was quite a way off.

John
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: